• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 6950X Atx 8 pin + 4 pin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ray_

Registered
hi , i am little confused about my motherboard
i have : asus x99 A II .
see the picture

top-299.jpg

1 = 8 pin " i have the cable and its connected "
2 = 4 pin " i don't believe that i have that cable "
the processor is i7 6950x , i am planning to overclock it a bit , but later

so should i buy another power supply ?
what number " 2 " are used for ?

i have 2 power supply

FSP HYPER 700 W
20 + 4 PIN ......... X1
4 + 4 PIN ...........X1
PCI-E 6+2 PIN ........X4
SATA ............ X8
MOLEX ............X2
FLOPPY .......... X1

AND

CORSAIR VS 650
ATX CABLE 24 PIN
EPS/ATX12V CABLE 8 PIN
PCI-E CABLE 6 PIN ANS 8 PIN

which one should i be using ?
are any of them have a cable for the extra 4 pin cpu ?
i heard i can't use turbo v 3.0 without connecting this 4 pin " 2 " is it true ?

trents

Both I think. That CPU will need lots of juice under load, especially if you overclock it. You may need to get an adapter to turn one of your other PSU molex 12v connectors into the P4.

LutaWicasa

, Immutable, Administrator
Quoted from the review of this board on the front page:
" We see two CPU power connectors, one 8-pin and one 4-pin, of which only the 8-pin is required. If you’re pushing the limits of the CPU then I recommend using both connectors to ensure stable power delivery."

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
4 pin is always an addition which can help while overclocking ( but usually is not required even then ). I've never had issues with only one 8 pin connector in use.
I'm not sure about Turbo 3.0 on that ASUS board but most boards have single connector and are working fine. Not to mention that Turbo 3.0 mode is useless when you play games or make other more demanding things on your PC because it's only additionally pushing single cores to reach max frequency while almost everything can use multi cores.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Quoted from the review of this board on the front page:
" We see two CPU power connectors, one 8-pin and one 4-pin, of which only the 8-pin is required. If you’re pushing the limits of the CPU then I recommend using both connectors to ensure stable power delivery."

4 pin is always an addition which can help while overclocking ( but usually is not required even then ). I've never had issues with only one 8 pin connector in use.
I'm not sure about Turbo 3.0 on that ASUS board but most boards have single connector and are working fine. Not to mention that Turbo 3.0 mode is useless when you play games or make other more demanding things on your PC because it's only additionally pushing single cores to reach max frequency while almost everything can use multi cores.
If you are overclocking on ambient cooling, it won't be needed. If you had the connector (sounds like you don't), you could use it, but, you do not need it, nor, IMO, is there a "should"... totally optional, even with overclocking.

The manual also states its optional too.

You should be using the 8 pin as you are. :)

OP
R

Ray_

Registered
thank you so much guys for all the help you gave me
i know i am very late to respond on this
but i didn't have a hard drive until now
so first thing i wanted to come back to thank each and everyone of you
i appreciate all your help and efforts
the cpu and mobo are here now , i tried 8 pins and it works
and turbo speed is working too .
i am geting 1888 cb on stock speed in cinebench
thanks again to all of you , and happy new year !
regards , RAY . ;)