• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 7700k oc opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eristoff

Good afternoon. First post here. Long story short, I successfull atempted a stable OC @ 4.8 ghz. Want to know your opinion about my temps, voltage and bios tweaks.
My rig:
4 intake 120mm fans
Cpu coolermaster masterliquid pro 120 with 2 exhaust fans
Intel i7 7700k
Mobo Asus 270z-k
Ddr4 gskill 3400 ghz 1.35v xmp profile enabled ( could only achieve 3200ghz but thats another story)
Msi armor oc edition 1070 gtx with OC @ +120 core clock and +350 memory.
Psu xfx 750w xxx pro edition

So tested stability with that x256 costum changed software to loop as many times as needed to perform a stress test and done firestrike successfull (17125 score) and uningen valley with success too.
Now the interesting stuff. @4.8 ghz cpu, 1.31v core, 1.35v ram 1.15 vccio and 1.15 vsa, power saving things like intel speed, c states etc off, manual OC(not adaptive neither offset), and LLC set to 6 (maximum is 7), I achieved 76 degrees @ stress test, 28-34 at idle, and playing bf1 for 2 or 3 hours 53-65 degrees at cpu and 60-65 gpu degrees.
Opinions? Changes to be made?
By the way, should i increase voltage from 1.35 at RAM to 1.375 or more to get it to 3400ghz or just increase vsa and vcioo?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is the wrong thread to post..

trents

The stress testing you have done would seem to put most of the stress on the GPU. I would do something to put more stress on the CPU like Prime95 or OCCT.

OP
E

Eristoff

X256 is a cpu only stress test. I have made it. Prime95 too but even the latest version of it (the one that skyrocket temps because avx applications voltage) it stayed at 81-82. The firestrike was only for gpu stab test. Other then this, in your opinion, Have i forgot to change something in BIOS? Any other change to my OC that i have not made?

trents

No, I think your bios settings look pretty good. Sorry, I missed the mention of x256 in your first post. Your OC results are in line with what others are getting with those KL CPUs.

OP
E

Eristoff

Thank you. Any insight on my Ram not achieving 3400 @ 1.35v as stated by Gskill?

trents

You probably need to give the System Agent (memory controller) a little voltage boost. But you will see no real world performance improvement in running the RAM at 3400.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Auto/profile voltages are always set higher than it's required. It's just in case you have really bad CPU/IMC.
On 7700K you shouldn't need more than ~1.25V cpu voltage for 4.8GHz. Try manual VCCSA 1.25V and VCCIO 1.20V. If you make it work like that then check if you can lower these voltages.
Memory overclocking and required voltages are not guaranteed on every motherboard. Generally these higher series will OC better and will require a bit lower voltages. On my MSI Z270 which is only gaming series I have to set ~1.2V SA and 1.15V IO at 3600 memory clock. The same memory on ASRock Z170 OC Formula or MSI Z170I Gaming could run at 3600 at 1.15V SA and 1.10V IO. At 1.25V SA and 6700K CPU I could reach 4133+ ( 1.25V was max available on MSI Z170I Gaming ).

tlw8161

I was able to take my 7700k to 5ghz at 1.3 volts with out any issues my max temp after stress testing was 75c and I'm using the Corsair h100i V2 for cooling

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
On ASUS board typically 5 or 6. I find LLC 6 gives the closest in windows to BIOS set

tlw8161

I dont remember off the top of my head i will let you know when i get home this evening I'm currently at work but my mobo is the Gigabyte z270 ultra gaming

OP
E

Eristoff

Some say 1.31v is ok @4.8 some say its high voltage. I was not blessed by silicon lottery it seems. Will try lower voltage but it will crash in stress i think. Can the reason of 1.31v needed be the speed of my ram 3200?

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
1.3v is fine for day to day as long as the temps are in line and no the 3200 ram shouldn't have much impact on core voltage TBH.
A good shot of HWMonitor free, while the CPU is under load goes a long way in showing us what's going on in your system.

wingman99

Auto/profile voltages are always set higher than it's required. It's just in case you have really bad CPU/IMC.
On 7700K you shouldn't need more than ~1.25V cpu voltage for 4.8GHz. Try manual VCCSA 1.25V and VCCIO 1.20V. If you make it work like that then check if you can lower these voltages.
Memory overclocking and required voltages are not guaranteed on every motherboard. Generally these higher series will OC better and will require a bit lower voltages. On my MSI Z270 which is only gaming series I have to set ~1.2V SA and 1.15V IO at 3600 memory clock. The same memory on ASRock Z170 OC Formula or MSI Z170I Gaming could run at 3600 at 1.15V SA and 1.10V IO. At 1.25V SA and 6700K CPU I could reach 4133+ ( 1.25V was max available on MSI Z170I Gaming ).

Did you see my screenshot? Default XMP Vccsa Vccio is right in line with what you suggested.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Since when IO and SA voltages are programmed in XMP profiles ? Motherboard set these voltages based on tables programmed in BIOS and data which is receiving from memory. The same memory on couple of boards will have different SA/IO settings. VDIMM in programmed in memory. Maybe I've missed something but I was editing SPD/XMP profiles and I've never seen these voltages as programable bits.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Some say 1.31v is ok @4.8 some say its high voltage. I was not blessed by silicon lottery it seems. Will try lower voltage but it will crash in stress i think. Can the reason of 1.31v needed be the speed of my ram 3200?
1.31v is high for the clockspeed, no doubt, but a perfectly reasonable voltage to run 24/7.

The Core voltage has nothing to do with the memory voltages.

Since when IO and SA voltages are programmed in XMP profiles ? Motherboard set these voltages based on tables programmed in BIOS and data which is receiving from memory. The same memory on couple of boards will have different SA/IO settings. VDIMM in programmed in memory. Maybe I've missed something but I was editing SPD/XMP profiles and I've never seen these voltages as programable bits.
+1. It varies by board, not on the sticks.