• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 7700K OVERCLOCKING ISSUES TO 5GHZ.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gaeme2010

Registered
Hello, I recently build my new rig and not sure if its my cpu is one of the bad batch.

I am really having hard time getting stable 5ghz on my rig

below is spec

INTEL® CORE™ I7-7700K
ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula LGA1151
Corsair Hydro Series H115I All In One Liquid CPU Cooler
Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 2x sli
EVGA SUPERNOVA 1200 P2 80 PLUS PLATINUM CERTIFIED 1200W
WD Blue 500B Internal SSD M.2
Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB SATA3 7200RPM 64MB 2x
Bitfenix Aurora ATX Mid Tower Case Tempered Glass
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2x8GB DDR4-3000 , Currently got it stabled at 3466mhz

I have tried anywhere between vcore 1.30 to 1.37 for 5ghz overclock on i7 7700k........ but pretty much fail everytime. i can get it stable when i am at 4.8ghz. i know its only 200mhz difference BUT I WANT 5GHZ! :)

I am seeking advice those who have been overclocking for some time and i am pretty new at this.

Need help!

What are your temps like under stress test or benchmark?

If your temps are well within range, up the vcore to 1.385 volts. Im currently running an i7700k stable at 5.1 @ 1.385 volts.

You dont want to see much over 1.4 volts under load for a 24/7 rig with cooling up to par.

Looks like CPU is overheating. Check temps at full load, if they're 90*C+ then CPU can randomly crash.

computer crashes after boot. i cant even get into windows. `-`. hmmmmmmmm i didnt try @1.385 voltage. is there any other tweaking i have to do besides vcore? i mean to make it stable

Also, take your RAM speed down to whatever advertised is. Work on getting a stable OC on the CPU then worry about the RAM.

are you watercooling or air? cuz with liquid cooling h115i it crashed everytime before i got into windows..........it just failed hard. perhaps ****ty batch cpu i got...... T.T

hmm i didnt bring down ram frequency speed down, i thought its gonna bottleneck the cpu. i try tonight and see how it goes! thank you all

- - - Updated - - -

yah i am not watercoolin it...... perhaps that was diffrence. i kno ppl can air this cpu get 5ghz. duno why i cant get stable at 5gb with liquid cooler corsair h115i

I don't even dare messing with mine much at all. Soon as voltage breaks 1.2 mine jumps into the 90s during p95. Really not happy about the shoddy job intel did on the die to ihs gap and tim

i tried lowering fs ram speed increasing voltage as well. aint stable it crashes before getting into windows.... no luck with this cpu. i should've got watercooling instead of liquid cooling ....................daaaaaaaaamn i cant surpass 4.8ghz

Water cooling instead of liquid cooling... it's the same thing bud. Seems we have a lot to learn. :)

So what are your load temps at a stable overclock? Is the bios updated on the mobo?

yah updated recent bios right now at 4.8ghz at 1.344voltaage << i couldnt get any lower. it crashes>> on load it went up to 70c.

Define load...

And where are you getting your voltage readings from? Run cpuz and your load, then let us know what voltage it says.

Did you leave your ram at stock and try on the cpu? I see something about lowering it, but no mention to where... voltage or timings, etc...leave them at default, then work on the cpu.

I don't even dare messing with mine much at all. Soon as voltage breaks 1.2 mine jumps into the 90s during p95. Really not happy about the shoddy job intel did on the die to ihs gap and tim

That is because of the new P95, use "p64v265.zip" - Google it.

Well I can say that after I finally delidded mine overclocking to 5ghz got much easier. My temps now at 5ghz are lower than they were stock before delid.

The one thing I will say though is overclocking atm serves no point outside of bragging rights now.

4.5 to 5ghz is nice for benchmarks and heavy computing tasks but for gaming the increase is minimal. I would recommend running stock until you can get a better cooling solution then give it another go.

Not all 7600k and 7700k Cpus will do 5 ghz. A lot of them will but some just won't, at least not on reasonable voltage. As Tgrable said, it won't make much or any difference in gaming. Mostly a bragging rights and benchmark thing. I would find the sweetspot for that CPU (where moderate vcore intersects acceptable temps) and call it good.

Back