• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 7700K throttling at stock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Syed117

Hey guys,

Not a total amateur, but pretty close to it at this age.

Built my first PC in over a decade and had some concerns.

i7 7700k
Corsair H55 cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z270X
32GB TridentZ 3200
EVGA 750 Gold PSU

Coretemp
Aida64 to stress test

Here's the thing. I had a cooler master hyper 212 evo. Was getting around 32c at idle, but when I tried to stress test, it would hit 100c immediately and the CPU would throttle. At stock.

Swapped out the 212 for the corsair H55. Idle temps now 28c-29c.

I can run the Aida64 cpu test and it never goes above 70c, but when I run the FPU test, it hits above 90c immediately and the CPU throttles. Again, at stock. No OC at all.

When I use the auto OC and set it to 4.8ghz and run the CPU test, no issues. Stays idle around 30c and 70c during the test.

Everything I've read online makes me think that I should be running the Aida64 FPU test and not having any throttling, especially at stock.

Thought I would turn to you guys and get some advice.

Thanks

Capture.PNG

Don't think I have an airflow or cabling problem.
IMG_20170128_132643295 (Copy).jpg

Last edited:
OP
S

Syed117

Bad Die/HIS TIM?

The 212 should handle the [email protected] without issue... So should the H55.

I have no idea. The TIM is pre applied on the H55.

I could remove it and use some AS5, but I don't really know what is happening. No issues while actually using the PC, but it won't handle any form of stress test. Even Prime 95 sends the temperatures to 100c.

Tír na nÓg

Was thinking of the TIM inside the CPU, the one between the die (piece of silicon), and the IHS (INtegrated Heat Preader, the "square" on the CPU).

Might be a manufacturing default...

Rainwater

What is the vcore under load? I will try to find it real quick but I think I was reading that there is an issue at launch with those boards affecting voltage and heat, and that was a bios release on the way, hop over to there site and see if it's been released yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIkWnnDjhkk

I did on the other hand literally just get done watching this video, it does not describe the issue but if you skip to the 10:15 mark there will be something slightly refering to what i am talking about and it saysd the bios should have been released i will try and find the article as well. Nevermind the title of this video just skip to the 10 min 15 sec mark and listen. Then go find the Bios and Flash it.

Flashing the Bios these days is far safer than it used to be. Gigabyte has something similar to Asus Bios Flashback I believe, which allows you to flash from a usb drive with the sysrem powered off. It's the only way I flash mine currently and have done it 3 or 4 times now with 100 percent sucess every time.

I have the h100i v2 cooler and I can personally say with my system it is at least 3-5c temp difference with as5 over stock TIM. I would change it, who knows, when you do maybe you will come across something else that will help. Like a possible mad mount or something. Those temps are very high but start with Bios.

Last edited:
OP
S

Syed117

What is the vcore under load? I will try to find it real quick but I think I was reading that there is an issue at launch with those boards affecting voltage and heat, and that was a bios release on the way, hop over to there site and see if it's been released yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIkWnnDjhkk

I did on the other hand literally just get done watching this video, it does not describe the issue but if you skip to the 10:15 mark there will be something slightly refering to what i am talking about and it saysd the bios should have been released i will try and find the article as well. Nevermind the title of this video just skip to the 10 min 15 sec mark and listen. Then go find the Bios and Flash it.

Flashing the Bios these days is far safer than it used to be. Gigabyte has something similar to Asus Bios Flashback I believe, which allows you to flash from a usb drive with the sysrem powered off. It's the only way I flash mine currently and have done it 3 or 4 times now with 100 percent sucess every time.

Vcore

Vcore.JPG

Rainwater

Ya, before I would continue further I would just search the issue and see if we can find what I think I read (it could have been another board I read about. this video makes me think it was the gaming 7 btu I could be wrong) but if there is a bios update then flash to it. Beta, idk about that but a full update yes. Unmount that pump reapply TIM, carefully make sure the next mount is clean and equally tightened across all four bolts and try again.

Tír na nÓg

If that's the stock vCore, it is insanely high! Nice catch Rainwater!

You should be in the 1.25v ballpark on load.

t1nm4n

Your voltages look all messed up, there is something wrong with that MB or PSU to throw voltages that whacked.

OP
S

Syed117

Ya, before I would continue further I would just search the issue and see if we can find what I think I read (it could have been another board I read about. this video makes me think it was the gaming 7 btu I could be wrong) but if there is a bios update then flash to it. Beta, idk about that but a full update yes. Unmount that pump reapply TIM, carefully make sure the next mount is clean and equally tightened across all four bolts and try again.

Thanks so much.

I appreciate the help.

So I guess that's what the beta bios is for. "V Core Voltage adjust"

Will wait for the final version and hopefully that will solve these issues.

Was so close to contacting Newegg and having a replacement processor sent.

Thanks again everyone.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
If that's the stock vCore, it is insanely high! Nice catch Rainwater!

You should be in the 1.25v ballpark on load.
BIOS is setting the voltage too high, These guys are correct. The voltage should be closer to 1.25v under load.

OP
S

Syed117

Flashed the beta bios.

definitely helped at stock.

Stock Beta Bios.JPG

Not so much at 4.8 auto overclock.

4.8 Beta Bios.JPG