• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 7700k throttling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orcunizma

Hello, yesterday I chose to delid my CPU and im really happy with the thermal results so far. I have an ASUS IX Formula along with a 7700k on a Kraken X62 but I cannot get a stable 5GHz.
I also have to say I'm new to overclocking so I need a bit of advice. So my problem is the CPU is running at 5GHz, but then drops to 4.7 and then back to 5.0 and so on. Temperature reaches 70°C max under Prime95 load and the voltage is set at 1.300V. Windows power settings are set at High Performance.

Settings I've used in the BIOS:

BLCK = 100.00
Sync all Cores = 50
AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset = 3
CPU Load-line Calibration = Level 5
CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max = 255.50
Min. CPU Cache Ratio = 43
Max CPU Cache Ratio = 43
CPU Core/Cache Voltage = 1.300
CPU VCCIO Voltage = 1.2
CPU System Agent Voltage = 1.225

Hope for your help

regards

Last edited:
Which version of Prime95 are you using? Unless you're using a really old one, it uses AVX instructions so the AVX offset will kick in, and with those settings that would be 4.7 GHz. Any other software using AVX will likely also trigger the same.

I have the newest one. That is also what I thought but even on the desktop just running CPU-Z, Razer Synapse, NZXT CAM and BullGuard? I will test and disable AVX instructions for testing only and see if it's the cause.

regards

If avx offset is 3, mames sense its dropping to 4.7. :)

Why is your VccIO and SA so high??? What ram do you have? It doesnt work usimg XMP profile?

Please create a signature with a hardware list...

If avx offset is 3, mames sense its dropping to 4.7. :)

Yeah right it makes sense. I just didn't expect it on the desktop by only running a few apps. Will check this without AVX offset to make sure though.

Why is your VccIO and SA so high??? What ram do you have? It doesnt work usimg XMP profile?

I'm using G.Skill 16GB Dual 4133MHz Trident Z's but thats another story I've been avoiding, lol. It currently runs at 3600MHz 16-16-16-36 @ 1.35V since I have them as it needs more adjustment to use 4133MHz. This is what I will try to do today aswell as soon as I'm at home. Do you have any tips for the settings? Mine wouldn't boot with the XMP profile. Latency is 19-19-19-39 @ 1.35V. Also I've set Maximus Tweak 2.

Would be really kind if we can get both finally sorted today.

Please create a signature with a hardware list...

Done :)

regards

MB: Asus Z270 IX Formula CPU: Core i7 7700K @ 5,0GHz AiO: Kraken X62
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 4133MHz GPU: ASUS 1080 Ti STRIX OC
SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 1000GB M2 NVMe Air: 3x NZXT Aer 140mm RGB
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv OS: Win10 Home 64bit PSU: Corsair AX860i

Last edited:
That isn't a signature. You just typed everything out. Let me get a magnifying glass out to see it........... :)

That isn't a signature. You just typed everything out. Let me get a magnifying glass out to see it........... :)

Haha because I changed the signature after posting that's why it didn't show my signature. Should work now, got your magnifying glass? :D:p

I don't own one... enlarge the sig. Make it easy for those volunteers trying to help you bud. ;)

Ok, we'll tackle the memory later. That is stupid fast and expsenive ram though for no reason.

I don't own one... enlarge the sig. Make it easy for those volunteers trying to help you bud. ;)

Ok, we'll tackle the memory later. That is stupid fast and expsenive ram though for no reason.

Sure thing. :)

I got the fast RAM mainly for Arma 3, it does profit in that game. Otherwise your right, but got it for around 200€ when RAMs were cheaper.

Edit1: Thank you both and it was indeed because of the AVX. I've set it back to 3. Now the ram :)

regards

Last edited:
Back