• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 860 99c for several hours

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lspnet

Hey guys, its been quite a few years since I've posted here (regarding a P4 Northwood build).

So I'm working on a new i7 860 box, and I was running a basic prime95 blend stresser with the stock HSF and NO OC. I just wanted to get an idea of the what I was working with under default circumstances.

I ran the stress test most of the day while I was @ work, and I RDP'd in every couple hours to check up on it. At around hour 6, I RDP'd in and noticed that my CPU was throttling hard in CPUID, and I checked my temps with RealTemp and noticed that all but 1 core was running at 99c. I have no idea how long the temps were like that, but I can assume it must've been for at least 2-3 hours. Oddly, the prime95 tests didn't fail, nor was the computer unstable.

My only real concern is what kind of long-term damage (if any) such high temps for that amount of time could've caused. If there is, obviously I could just run down to Frys and replace the proc for another one ;);)

DarkWhite

I'd suggest getting a replacement if it won't cost you anything. that type of heat can do some serious damage to your CPU, and seriously shorten the lifespan. one question i have to ask is if you're sure temps are being reported right? sometimes there are sensor malfunctions (which you could use as your reason for exchanging the CPU) and it may be reporting wrong, or your program may be reading the reports wrong, which is worth checking into.

OP
L

lspnet

I am using RealTemp 3.4. What I can't understand is how and why my CPU would reach 99c with no OC, and why Prime95 didn't fail and/or freeze. The hardware monitor that came with my mobo certainly does report signficantly different (lower) temps than realtemp is reporting. Is there a simple way to determine how accurate/inaccurate the temp sensors are?

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
well they are very accurate above 50c so i doubt it is a temp sensor problem. as they are on die with the cpu package... my suggestion is to check out the HS mounting and make sure all the pins are pushed in. another thing is to, can you do a step by step of how you installed it? if you can replace the intel TIM with AS-C or AS5 or you favorite TIM.

im am going to have to go with bad mounting on the HS.

Bobnova

They throttle specifically to prevent damage. Unless you're running a lot of vcore your CPU is just fine. The point of tjunction and the throttling is that an OEM install can get packed with dust and run with no real cooling till the end of the warranty, three years.

With a lot of voltage heat increases the amount of damage the voltage does. Modern Intel CPUs are essentially immune to heat at normal (<1.3625 vcore for 45nm) vcore.

atomic ferret

My money's on a bad mount. The stock HSFs are a pain to work with and in my experience are pretty hard to get a good mount with.

What TIM did you use? What method of application? Do you have a pic of the cpu right after the hsf was removed?

OP
L

lspnet

Thanks for the input guys. I am getting a quality cooling solution on Monday, I just wanted a baseline (stock HSF) to compare it to. And it is mounted correctly (with AS5), its just does a terrible job.

Just so I understand correctly - I can assume that 860 is fine? I have about 10 more days before I won't be able return it for a replacement.

tinymouse2

CPU sounds fine. Just sounds like you haven't mounted the heatsink quite right. Also while it's running do the plates of the HS feel hot?

If you've already been hitting those temps then I would replace it if it takes less than a week because you probably have knocked a week or two of its lifetime off (I'm no expert but I can't see why it wouldn't)
If it takes more than a week then I would say it's not worth it. In the end it's your call though.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
well i have heard of the i7 860 hitting 80c on the stocker but never 99c. my real first thought if everything is installed correctly and running stock, replacement time on the cpu. you do it either way since you have some time, try the new HS first. if the temps are still someone highish at stock speed, replace the cpu.

OP
L

lspnet

Yeah the fan was spinning (loud too). However I replaced the stock HSF today with an AC Freezer Rev. 2 (1500 grit lapped with AS5) and the temps dropped nearly 40c :attn:. Running large FFT's right now @ 60-61-61-60.