• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-860 OC evaluation help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zeddius

Registered
Background

Have been working on this OC for 2 days now, mostly since i am new to this. I believe i have a stable OC now (had temp issues in the start).

I would be very grateful if someone could look at my OC to see if it is ok, which OC to choose, and whether or not it can be improved further.

My main issue earlier was high temp, but this was solved by turning of hyper-threading.

Specs:

CORSAIR FULL TWR OBSIDIAN SERIES 800D
COOLERMASTER Hyper212 Plus
CORSAIR Power Supply 850W HX
CORSAIR 4GB (KIT) DDR3 1600MHz/ CL7/ DOMINATOR GT
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD6, P55, Socket-1156
XFX HD 5970

Results :

Stock cpu without OC (Hyper-threading and turbo on)

Idle:
stockidle.jpg

load
stockload.jpg

OC1:
QPI Clock Ratio : Auto
BCLK Frequency : 160
Turbo : On
Hyper-Threading : On
System memory multiplier : 10x
CPU Vcore : Auto
QPI/Vtt voltage : Auto

CPU Core Speed : 3520
Memory Frequency : 1600

160loadvcore12.png

My observations : OK temp, Low core frequency, everything on and stable

OC2:
QPI Clock Ratio : 32
BCLK Frequency : 175
Turbo : Off
Hyper-Threading : On
System memory multiplier : 8x
CPU Vcore : 1.225

CPU Core Speed : 3674
Memory Frequency : 1400

175loadvcore1225.jpg

My observations : High temp, Good core frequency, Hyper-threading still on. Was not able to OC further cause the temp got above 70 o it went unstable with lower vcore.

Decided to turn off hyper threading and experiment with turbo and BCLK.

OC3:
BCLK Frequency : 170
Turbo : On
Hyper-Threading : OFF
System memory multiplier : 10x
CPU Vcore : 1.20

CPU Core Speed : 3740
Memory Frequency : 1700

170loadvcore120tubo.png

My observations : OK temp, Good core frequency, high RAM speed, perhaps abit high processor power usage (110W)

OC4:
BCLK Frequency : 180
Turbo : Off
Hyper-Threading : OFF
System memory multiplier : 8x
CPU Vcore : 1.20

CPU Core Speed : 3780
Memory Frequency : 1440

180vcore120noturbohyp.jpg

My observations : OK temp, Good core frequency, "Low" RAM speed, ok processor power usage (95W)

FINAL CONCLUSIONS:

So i guess the question is, do i need hyper-threading considering i will use the rig for gaming? Hyper-threading gives high temperatures as seen in OC2. They are below 70 though so might be ok???

If i turn of hyper threading the temp drops significantly as seen in OC3 and OC4 to below 60. I can run the BLCK at 180 without turbo or at 170 with turbo and get the same core frequency. at 170 i use higher RAM multiplier then with 180. Both temps are ok, but 180 has a lower cpu power usage.

So please help me, what should i use, and should i alter anything else?

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Just keep it @ 80C or less for stress testing. You wont see those temps during normal activity.

High processor usage? Huh? How praytell are you measuring that? NOTE: the stock power consumption on these things are in the ballpark of 125W to begin with...

I would just make sure your memory is at 1600Mhz or greater with the highest bclk for best performance.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You are correct on the wattage rating, my bad. But again, how are you accurately measuring that? Why is it an issue?

As far as improving it. Well, thats a matter of opinion really. The goal for most overclockers is to find what you are happy with as far as clockspeeds, then lower the voltage as low as it can go while being stable.

If you have apps that can use the HT, keep it enabled, if not, dont worry about it.

Last edited:
OP
Z

zeddius

Registered
Reason i am asking is that i have very little experience with OCing and only wish to make sure i dont dmg my computer. My first try was at BLCK 170 with hyperthread and turbo on, was stable, but stress temp was max 80 degrees. Didnt know that wasnt good at the start.

Just trying to get input on if i should change anything to improve the system as it is now.

The power usage is reported by CPU-Z. Whether it has any effect or not or matters is beyond me to know. Just noticed it is higher on one of them....(noobish perhaps)

When it comes to hyperthreading, i dont know what is faster: BCLK 175 with hyperthread on (core temp maks 70)or BCLK 180 with hyperthread off (core temp maks 62). When it comes to memory, at BCLK 175/180 i changed it from x10 to x8 cause i read somewhere i should. Letting it be at x10 would mean the RAM is running at 1800 MHz, but that might be ok....just read on another test that RAM scales badly above 1333 giving none to little improvement. Thats why i used x8 (1440Mhz)

Last edited:

KonaKona

Trashcan Man Member
I've been around different computer forums for a while now, and the only two things I've seen kill computers are extreme overclocking (Enough that what kills the computer is condensation from LN2 or those silly LGA1156 sockets) or bad PSUs. Don't worry about damaging your computer, if it's staying cool and you aren't using crazy (1.5v+) volts then you are fine.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Like I said before, 80C is JUST FINE so dont worry about that when stress testing with applications like P95 (Large FFT), Linx, IntelBurnTest, OCCT, etc.

CPUz now reports power consumption? Must be a new version out or something... It sure doesnt with 1.52.2.

As far as changes, again like I said, just find the clockspeed you want and lower the voltages as much as you can while keeping it stable.

EDIT: And it doesnt measure Power Consumption in 1.53.1 either... sooooooooo how are you getting that reading again?

Last edited:
OP
Z

zeddius

Registered
EDIT, my bad, meant CPUID, not CPU-Z

Last edited:
OP
Z

zeddius

Registered
Well, currently running the BLCK 180 OC4. But it may not be stable.

Did the torture test in P5 it went ok. Did the first test there now :

small FTTs (maximum FPU stress, data fits in L2 cache, RAM not tested much)

Went fine for awile but after 30 mins i got an error on one of the cores....does this mean my OC is not stable? Or can this happen from time to time?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
That means your overclock is not stable. The Small FFT is for the CPU more so than anything... Once that is stable you want to run Large FFT for CPU and Memory.

Check out the overclocking guide for i7 in my signature. That should help you out a bit.

(I will look at pix when I get home, I cant see them from the office). I just DL CPUz though at the office and its not there...

OP
Z

zeddius

Registered
Without reading the guide i guess it tells me to increase the voltage :)

Btw, how long should i run the tests to be sure?

OP
Z

zeddius

Registered
That means your overclock is not stable. The Small FFT is for the CPU more so than anything... Once that is stable you want to run Large FFT for CPU and Memory.

Check out the overclocking guide for i7 in my signature. That should help you out a bit.

(I will look at pix when I get home, I cant see them from the office). I just DL CPUz though at the office and its not there...

Had a look at the first guide and have a question.

It says to leave HT and turbo on, while the other guides i have read tells me to turn off HT and turbo at the start.....

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Turning it off allows you to get a higher overclock. Enabling it will likely lower your overclock at the same voltage settings. It depends on if you want to use it. But to eliminate other variables for instability, I would likely leave it off at first then enable and retweak if I planned on using it. THats just me though.

EDIT: Saw the pics, CPUID shows 95W...............nort 125W or w/e you mentioned. Does that change?

OP
Z

zeddius

Registered
You are right, the 110 W is on OC3 where i run 170 BCLK and turbo on and high ram speeds (x10).

Upped the vcore to 1.25 and been running blend test with prime for 50 mins now without problems with BCLK at 180 and HT off.

Will try and get a stable OC with HT on afterwards.

Got a question though, cause i havent touched the RAM or QPI voltage. I couldnt get a stable OC at 180 BCLK with HT on cause i had to increase the vcore so high that temp got an issue, and still not stable. Could it be though, that the reason for instability was not vcore low voltage, but low voltage on QPI or RAM? They were left at auto.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Absolutely that could be the reason. You can just expect things to work overclocked with the stock voltage. Thats the overclocking game!

OP
Z

zeddius

Registered
Have a questions, might be important.

If you check the CPUID on one of the picture under vcore voltage you will see a voltage named VIN1.

Do you knwo what this is?

OP
Z

zeddius

Registered
Have an OC now (180 and ht on) that has been running stable on prime blend testing for 1 hour. Is that sufficient to say it is stable? The temperatures are abit high though.

Settings (everything else is on auto)
BCLK : 180
vcore : 1.25
Ram voltage : 1.64
Memory mult: x8

180vcore125hyponram164.jpg