• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 8700K gone wrong

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Meenfil

Registered
Hello,

New to this forum and to overclocking as well !

I should say that before starting overclocking, i have read and watch a lot of videos on this.

So basically, my issue is that i can't find a way to overclock my CPU properly.

I have tried the following (stress = Prime95, voltage = CPUZ) :

- 5Ghz from 1.30 to 1.38 - was not able to get it stable
- 4.8Ghz from 1.28 to 1.33 - was not able to get it stable. My last trial was 1.33 with LLC on mode 4, I was showing either 1.328-1.336v, and after 7 minutes i failed (i was getting into 91 celsius!!)
- I tried leaving stock clock and enabling the "turbo on all cores" option, but the voltage was in the 1.39-1.40 range. Temperature was also very high.
- I did many other trials but this is a pretty good summary i think

So i am left wondering the below options :

- I am doing something wrong
- My chip is very VERY bad

My setup :

H80i V2
Msi ProCarbon
Seasonic Focus 750 platinum
4*4go 3200Mhz
MasterBox 530P with 3 120 in the front, 2 on top and my 120 radiator in the back with push and pull. I do believe i have good airflow and while the H80i v2 would probable limit me at 5Ghz and above, i am doubtful it should not be enough for 4.8.
Also when gaming with stock clock i am never hitting 70 celsius.

Any ideas guys? :)

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
It's usually better to start at the beginning instaed of the middle. Punching in numbers and crossing your fingers isn't the best way to overclock. To start I would set defaults in BIOS then reboot set the XMP for the memory then boot to windows and run a quick test (20 Minutes) with P95 and monitor with HWInfo64 this will give you an idea of your temps and voltages at stock operating frequency. Take a screenshot while it's running near the ned when the pemperatures start to get higher and post it here.
I have a feeling your cooler may not be up to the task of running 1.3V but we'll get to that later. First test it at stock

OP
M

Meenfil

Registered
It's usually better to start at the beginning instaed of the middle. Punching in numbers and crossing your fingers isn't the best way to overclock. To start I would set defaults in BIOS then reboot set the XMP for the memory then boot to windows and run a quick test (20 Minutes) with P95 and monitor with HWInfo64 this will give you an idea of your temps and voltages at stock operating frequency. Take a screenshot while it's running near the ned when the pemperatures start to get higher and post it here.
I have a feeling your cooler may not be up to the task of running 1.3V but we'll get to that later. First test it at stock

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Now that i am thinking about it all those trials start to fail after a 5-7 minutes into Prime95. Could this be the time it takes for my radiator to fill with heat ? Could hitting 90+ be the reason of the failure?

Anyway, will try the tests you mentioned when i get off work..!

Johan45

Temperature is the enemy of an overclocker. 90° is close to the throttle point and as the temp goes up so does the resistance in the CPU which makes it want more voltage.
Your testing at stock should show us a lot, HWInfo gives a ton of sensor information

trents

Hello,

New to this forum and to overclocking as well !

I should say that before starting overclocking, i have read and watch a lot of videos on this.

So basically, my issue is that i can't find a way to overclock my CPU properly.

I have tried the following (stress = Prime95, voltage = CPUZ) :

- 5Ghz from 1.30 to 1.38 - was not able to get it stable
- 4.8Ghz from 1.28 to 1.33 - was not able to get it stable. My last trial was 1.33 with LLC on mode 4, I was showing either 1.328-1.336v, and after 7 minutes i failed (i was getting into 91 celsius!!)
- I tried leaving stock clock and enabling the "turbo on all cores" option, but the voltage was in the 1.39-1.40 range. Temperature was also very high.
- I did many other trials but this is a pretty good summary i think

So i am left wondering the below options :

- I am doing something wrong
- My chip is very VERY bad

My setup :

H80i V2
Msi ProCarbon
Seasonic Focus 750 platinum
4*4go 3200Mhz
MasterBox 530P with 3 120 in the front, 2 on top and my 120 radiator in the back with push and pull. I do believe i have good airflow and while the H80i v2 would probable limit me at 5Ghz and above, i am doubtful it should not be enough for 4.8.
Also when gaming with stock clock i am never hitting 70 celsius.

Any ideas guys? :)

What kind of RAM is that? "go"? 4 sticks? Are all sticks the same?

Johan45

seen it before it's GB but some european countries use that shortform for gigaoctet

OP
M

Meenfil

Registered
What kind of RAM is that? "go"? 4 sticks? Are all sticks the same?

My bad, i meant GB ! There are all the same, Hyper X Predator !

So i did the test. My temps peaked at 90 degrees at about 8 minutes, and then came back in the 70s. Stayed in the 70s and 80s for the rest of the test.

i took a screenshot every 5 minutes. Let me know what you think of this !

Attachments

• Capture d’écran (4).png
    Capture d’écran (4).png
    930.1 KB · Views: 781
  • Capture d’écran (5).png
    Capture d’écran (5).png
    932.2 KB · Views: 781
  • Capture d’écran (6).png
    Capture d’écran (6).png
    934.1 KB · Views: 776
  • Capture d’écran (7).png
    Capture d’écran (7).png
    935.8 KB · Views: 778

Johan45

I didn't even need to look. If you're hitting 90 at stock you're not going to go far without better cooling

OP
M

Meenfil

Registered
I didn't even need to look. If you're hitting 90 at stock you're not going to go far without better cooling

Yes, that's what i thought too. I use to have the Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste, and i recently changed it for the Grizzli Kryonaut and i think it hasn't helped me.

But i guess at this point thermal paste will not help me that much, so i am thinking this :

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181152
Any thoughts? I have a preference to stay with Corsair or Cooler master but i am open to suggestions. I can fit 2*140 or 3*120 no issue.

OP
M

Meenfil

Registered
Actually after reading a few threads i have seen that many 8700K go over 90c and they don't seem to give errors. So i am wondering if it is really linked with the temps?

Many people seem to be able to go 4.8ghz with the H80i V2.

Also, is it normal that the voltage on my screenshots goes up to 1.29 on stock? I can see threads where people get it stable at 5Ghz at that voltage.... :S

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
The CPU throttles at 100C so we say 90C so there is built in headroom. Instability (due to temps) can arise after 90C and before the thorttling point... it doesn't always. But again you want headroom so its not bouncing off the rev limiter constantly, ya know? ;)

Every CPU is different so just because you saw one reach it, doesn't mean yours will. Silicon lottery is what it is called. :)

Leaving voltage on auto, yes, I am not surprised it reached there. AUto favors stability, not a lean running overclock!

The H115i shouldn't have an issue holding that chip around 90C and 5 Ghz assuming the CPU isn't a dud. The H80i, I don't think has the gusto to get there.

Last edited:

maxfly

what speed are your rad fans running at? i would crank them up to full speed if you havent already.

OP
M

Meenfil

Registered
what speed are your rad fans running at? i would crank them up to full speed if you havent already.

i was on extreme mode in Icue. I have ordered a H150i pro, so we will get the temperature out of the way as a potential cause of my issue.

Vayra

Registered
1. Get a better cooler. AIO is by no means a must, or even 'better' than air. Check my sig. My 8700K runs 80 C max during a hot summer with 30C ambient.

2. Baby steps. Document your settings and resulting temps so you get a handle on what works and what doesn't. There are more values in BIOS than just core voltage and turbos. A good way to shave off some C is VCCIO and VCCSA, usually set very loosely and I could drop them both to 1.05 and 1.00V respectively. Additionally, experiment with LLC and fixed or adaptive voltage. I had far more luck with adaptive + offset on my K6 board.

3. OCCT will allow you to see graphs of your test/stress runs and give some nice info on your LLC effectiveness. For temperature, what you want is the lightest possible LLC with the highest possible voltage stability. Bit of a balancing act.

4. Hurricane fan speed doesn't do all that much. Heat still gets trapped under the IHS and there is only so much that can be transferred per square mm per second. Voltage is where its at.\

Your 8700K seems remarkably similar to my OC experience. Had huge problems getting 5.0 and 4.9 stable at a decent vcore, and 4.8 was a breeze with the right tweaks. But you do need to fix your temp issue first.

OP
M

Meenfil

Registered
1. Get a better cooler. AIO is by no means a must, or even 'better' than air. Check my sig. My 8700K runs 80 C max during a hot summer with 30C ambient.

2. Baby steps. Document your settings and resulting temps so you get a handle on what works and what doesn't. There are more values in BIOS than just core voltage and turbos. A good way to shave off some C is VCCIO and VCCSA, usually set very loosely and I could drop them both to 1.05 and 1.00V respectively. Additionally, experiment with LLC and fixed or adaptive voltage. I had far more luck with adaptive + offset on my K6 board.

3. OCCT will allow you to see graphs of your test/stress runs and give some nice info on your LLC effectiveness. For temperature, what you want is the lightest possible LLC with the highest possible voltage stability. Bit of a balancing act.

4. Hurricane fan speed doesn't do all that much. Heat still gets trapped under the IHS and there is only so much that can be transferred per square mm per second. Voltage is where its at.\

Your 8700K seems remarkably similar to my OC experience. Had huge problems getting 5.0 and 4.9 stable at a decent vcore, and 4.8 was a breeze with the right tweaks. But you do need to fix your temp issue first.

Thanks a lot to all of you guys, very active forum and it's really appreciated !

I did know that liquid coolers are not necessarily better than air ones, but it's more a question of style preference :)

Once i get my 150i this week, i will proceed with 1 hour Prime95 at stock clock and post results here. It'll have 3 fans in push (already in the case) and 3 fans in pull, so i am hopeful to get better results than my H80i !

DaPoets

I went with the Corsair H115i Extreme push/pull and found my temps were the same as yours, barely able to do 4.8GHz (giving me plenty of temperature room before worrying) and so I went the delid rout and man that dropped my temps by 23°C and now I'm at 5GHz w/ 77°C max temps so far no matter what stress test while on the "quiet" setting for my AIO.

OP
M

Meenfil

Registered
All right so after almost 2 weeks of waiting for my package (thanks Canada post for beign on strike :p), i just finished the installation of the H150i pro, and tried again a 20 minutes Prime95 test.

My setup for the test :

- 8700k not overclocked, everything on stock/auto
- XMP 1 activated @3200Mhz
- 6*120 fans push and pull on the rad
- 1 *120 on the back and 2*120 on the top
- Fans controlled by Icue on "balanced"

Capture d’écran (12).png

It looks to me like Prime95 is creating some kind of heat loop (i mean it's not always "burning" your cpu). I was in the 55-60 in the low end of the loop, and at exactly 70 on the high end of that loop. I believe i have lost 20 degrees :)

So how does it look now (voltage and temps)? What would you recommend to be the next step?

PS : Don't look at the Pump vs fan rpm in Aida, i haven't taken the time to rename everything properly.

PS2 : After looking at my previous test above in this thread, i noticed that i averaged at 1.249v with my previous cooling system, and i am now in the 1.214... The only parameter changed is the cooling... Does that make sense!?! Why would it voltage lower if the cooling is better? Isn't that supposed to be the opposite?

Last edited:

trents

Sometimes improving cooling significantly can allow you to lower the core voltage a tad at a given level of overclock but not lower it as much as you experienced. Undoubtedly, there is another factor at work here to allow you to get by with so much less core voltage. Did you make other changes in bios and have you done sufficient stress testing to confirm it is in fact stable?