• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 #3849B is supposed to be good but...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antipesto93

i have a 3849B i7 920 chip, and its supposed to be one of the best batches out
but the lowest stable voltage at 4.0ghz i can get is 1.3v...seems kinda high:shrug: - an my motherboard is quite overclock-able so why the high voltage?

it does boot at 1.25 but fails stres tests

my qpi is 1.3.. does this seem about right...or could it be my ram?....or are the some chips within certain batches that jsut dont perform as they should?

Amtrak

I have a 3849B chip, and it's perfectly stable running at the speed and voltage in my sig. QPI is currently at 1.22500 BIOS, and I'm still seeing how much farther I can lower it. Unfortunately I can't see how far my chip goes beyond this because either my RAM becomes unstable or the P6T starts to throttle.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Without knowing what your current BIOS settings are, try changing...

QPI Link Speed: x36 (= QPI Link Speed 7.2 GT/s)
Uncore Frequency: x17 (assuming 2:8 DRAM ratio at a BCLK of 200MHz = 3400MHz)
QPI/VTT Voltage: 1.5 - 1.515V
QPI PLL Voltage: AUTO (1.10V)

Turbo Boost: Disabled
CPU Cores Enabled: All
CPU Multi-Threading: Enabled
C1E: Disabled
C3/C6/C7: Disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor: Disabled
EIST: Disabled
Virtualization: Disabled
PROCHOT: Disabled

Last edited:
OP
antipesto93

antipesto93

ok with my bios settings identicle to what was recomended above,i have got it stable at 1.275 so far...will slowly bring voltage down :)

doz

3849B is a decent batch, but by far a great one. They produce clocks about like youve stated. I really havent seen alot of 4ghz clocks under 1.28v w/ your batch so achieving that is pretty good.

3845B is a better batch than 49B.