• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 D0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mattp

Registered
I just bought a i7 920. I tried to get a D0 and I think I did. It doesnt say D0 on the box though. The salesman at Micro Center said it was a D0 chip and thats all they get. Here is the info on the box.

Prod Code: BX80601920
MM#: 902258
FPO/Batch#: 3937B785
S-spec:SLBEJ

I hope I got the right one. Can someone tell me if I did? Thanks.

OP
M

mattp

Registered
Do I need a beter heat sink to OC to 3.6ghz- 3.8ghz? If so any suggestions?

Boulard83

I7 are heat beast ! Yes you need a better cooling.

At stock clock on stock cooling youll see ~70c under LinX

The Noctua NH-D14 seems to be the new king but the TRUE - Megahalem and other cooling are very nice too.

OP
M

mattp

Registered
Does the Mobo matter when it comes to Overclocking? This is the one I am planning on getting.

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX

GIXXERGUY6

well my buddy has stock cooler on his and we got him at 3.8 sub 90 under prime load, idle 40ish in a basement at 60 though.

if you have the ud3r I've heard they need a couple more bumps in voltage.. I would go with

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8...k_LGA_775_1156_1366_AM2_AM2_AM3_Hot_Item.html

with one or 2 of these http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6..._120mm_x_25mm_Fan_D12SH-12.html?tl=c15s60b119

you'll be good to go for air cooling. If it's in your budget I would go ahead and do liquid cooling if you think you'll be upgrading it later or like tweaking or working your computer.

psionic98

id go with an aftermarket cooler just ot be safe..all the options above are nice and theres also the xigmatek dark knight/rifle/thors hammer which also all cool it rather nice on air, but the meg/noctua/true are all still the top few out there (also remember some good TIM like ic diamond or arctic silver 5 etc)

09CivicSI

Registered
If you need a cheap, but very good air cooler, look to the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. For $30, you can't beat it's performance and you'll be able to hit 3.8-4GHz without going into the 80°C range(Yes, I've done so in a 70°F room). Even though the D0 stepped 920's are good to 100°C, there's NO reason you'd want to keep it there. The lower the temps, the less likely you'll get errors and you'll increase the life span of the CPU.

Hey Zeus

If you need a cheap, but very good air cooler, look to the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. For $30, you can't beat it's performance and you'll be able to hit 3.8-4GHz without going into the 80°C range(Yes, I've done so in a 70°F room). Even though the D0 stepped 920's are good to 100°C, there's NO reason you'd want to keep it there. The lower the temps, the less likely you'll get errors and you'll increase the life span of the CPU.

212+ is a very sweet cooler

starrant

Registered
This may be posting in the wrong place but I also have a question in reference to i7 920. If I was to purchase from New Egg would it be "SLBEJ" or possibley C0?

psionic98

newegg will be hit or miss for a d0 stepping.. you cant request a d0

as for cheap coolers theres also the cogage true spirit..its actually a TRUE, but the lower end version.. i havent used it but i was going to get it if I didnt get a deal on my current hsf.. from teh reviews it keeps up very well the top names

baris_

212+ is a very sweet cooler

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2419

Indeed. Very cheap and a lot of performance. I am myself, doubting which one to take. 212+ or s1283 because it's so much cheaper and I can keep it for the future LGA1366 that I want to purchase.

Can I also ask a question though;

I quote: In this review Frostytech will be testing Coolermaster's Hyper 212 Plus tower heatsink - an exposed heatpipe base cooler that comes ready out of the box for socket 1156 Intel 'Lynnfield' P55 motherboards. Naturally, it supports Intel socket 775/1366/1156 and AMD 939/AM2/AM3 processors. For whatever reason, Intel has spaced the motherboard mounting holes for socket 775, 1156 and 1366 all a little differently... but that's another story.

What does this mean? Should I buy it for my 775 or am I going to have trouble mounting it? I don't get it anyway, if something is perfect for a 1156, how can it fit on something else?

Last edited:

JonSimonzi

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2419
Can I also ask a question though;

I quote: In this review Frostytech will be testing Coolermaster's Hyper 212 Plus tower heatsink - an exposed heatpipe base cooler that comes ready out of the box for socket 1156 Intel 'Lynnfield' P55 motherboards. Naturally, it supports Intel socket 775/1366/1156 and AMD 939/AM2/AM3 processors. For whatever reason, Intel has spaced the motherboard mounting holes for socket 775, 1156 and 1366 all a little differently... but that's another story.

What does this mean? Should I buy it for my 775 or am I going to have trouble mounting it? I don't get it anyway, if something is perfect for a 1156, how can it fit on something else?

You can use it on any of the sockets listed, it comes with the mounting hardware for all configurations. It's just commenting on how Intel chose to make the mounting holes for 775/1156/1366 all different spaces, instead of the same.