• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 Motherboard Recomendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infinity06

Registered
Hello all,

i just bought an i7 920 LGA 1366 D0 and i am looking for a high end motherboard.

What i do not need is SLI or Crossfire - i am keeping my HD 4890 from my current system and putting it into the new system.

I am looking for the best board that concentrates on performance and overclock ability instead OF VIDEO CARD SLOTS.

thanks in advance.

antipesto93

i would just go for the p6t deluxe /(v2)
nice and cheap, and can easily oc over 4.2ghz
of you have more money go with the ex58a gigabyte series

OP
I

infinity06

Registered
Well i went with the rampage 2 extreme and Corsair Dominator memory primarily because i like creative soundblaster and it comes with it. We will see what happens.

Thanks for the help guys

tomic888

i would go Gigabyte GA-X58-UD7, you have usb and else 3.0 and overclocking is really good, same price as rampage 2 extreme

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
What is your expectation as far as OCing that 920, that should be the 1st question and secondly do you want to air water or extreme cool it? Also will it be your 24/7 system or benching board?

reap3r

i would just go for the p6t deluxe /(v2)
nice and cheap, and can easily oc over 4.2ghz
of you have more money go with the ex58a gigabyte series

+1 on the P6T series.. i've got one right now and i'm very impressed with it... it's got a pretty good overclocking suite, and I've used it to get a 4.1GHz overclock on my i7 920, and i haven't even been pushing it too hardcore :p

OP
I

infinity06

Registered
My plan was to use my parts from my current build in my signature

Asus Rampage 2 Extreme (ordered this am) $319 after mir
I7 920 Cpu (ordered this am) $246 after bing cash back
Corsair H50 water cooler
Corsar HX850W PSU
(1) ATI HD 4890 GPU
6 GB Corsair Dominator DDR 3 ram (ordered this am) $200 after mir

I will primarily use this system for ripping / encoding dvd's, overclocking and gaming and i am going to throw my gigabyte board and processor on ebay.

As far as expectations are concerned i really dont have any. I just know that with my gigabyte / Q8200 setup i cannot get much more out of it as far as overclocking is concerned because i only have 800mhz ram. Not to mention i only have 2 DDR3 slots and i figure why not take the next step instead of just buying 2 chips of ddr 3 ram. another thing is that im using a soundblaster audigy card from 6 years ago (lacking windows 7 64 bit software support) and i like that the rampage board comes with what seems to be a pretty good soundblaster card.

does this make sense? i think i got pretty decent deals on the stuff and that justified the upgrade too.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
You could have saved more that $200 by getting a good mid range X58 (DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6 , EVGA X58 LE, Asrock X58 Extreme, Foxconn Bloodrage/Flamingblade, Giga EX58 UD3R, Asus P6T) and also get 6 GB of G.skill which go for far less. These boards will deliver 4.2-4.5 Ghz on that 920 easily

Nothing wrong with your setup, very nice indeed...just you could save by buying what you need rather than going for the top line.

Last edited:
OP
I

infinity06

Registered
Yeah i figured. I wasnt sure what to get after about 5 hrs of reading and price checking.

I have only owned asus and gigabyte so that is why i got the rampage board. I looked at the g.skill ram but i dont know much about it because i havent been into the hardware scene in some time. I also have the habbit of buying the least expensive but name brand product and then im not happy so i figured i would get what i see a lot of people having success with.

i looked at that gigabyte board and i didnt like the heat sink apparatus that goes from the chipset to the pci slot. DFI wasnt something that was good to buy when i was a system builder 9 years ago.

eMpAtHy112

You could have saved more that $200 by getting a good mid range X58 (DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6 , EVGA X58 LE, Asrock X58 Extreme, Foxconn Bloodrage/Flamingblade, Giga EX58 UD3R, Asus P6T) and also get 6 GB of G.skill which go for far less. These boards will deliver 4.2-4.5 Ghz on that 920 easily

Nothing wrong with your setup, very nice indeed...just you could save by buying what you need rather than going for the top line.

Out of the aforementioned mobos, which would you recommend for me? I have no use for xfire or SLI. I plan on running just one videocard.

I am also looking for a budget board as well. My goals are 3.9-4ghz air cooled.

I looked at the Asus P6T, but I noticed there were 3 different models. The deluxe v2, SE, and just the standard P6T. Do you happen to know the major differences between the 3?

antipesto93

^^ get the p6t deluxe (v2 or normall...both same basically)

wow someone needs to make and i7 920 motherboard guide lol...

OP
I

infinity06

Registered
i agree with the motherboard guide.

I have spent more time trying to determine the difference in motherboards vs which features and price im willing to and or not to have. This coming from someone who has built hundreds of systems up until 2004.

evga is a good example - they have 4 or 5 boards leading up to the classified model. I wasnt quite sure if the difference between all of them was the pcie slots or what. I wanted a board with the performance and reputation of that the classified board has but im only using 1 video card. i dont need 20 way sli :)

OP
I

infinity06

Registered
off subject but does it still hold true that onboard sound is usually poor quality? I like having mixing controls and recording "what you hear" when im listening to online radio.

the fact that the rampage board comes with xfi was a big reason in which i bought it. a high end sound blaster card runs over $100

OP
I

infinity06

Registered
Out of the aforementioned mobos, which would you recommend for me? I have no use for xfire or SLI. I plan on running just one videocard.

I am also looking for a budget board as well. My goals are 3.9-4ghz air cooled.

I looked at the Asus P6T, but I noticed there were 3 different models. The deluxe v2, SE, and just the standard P6T. Do you happen to know the major differences between the 3?

That xp cpu is awesome.... I still have a XP 3000 and it is probably my favorite cpu i have ever had.