• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 oc problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xsmooth69x

Registered
i7 920 DO stepping on asus p6t deluxe with 6gig corsair xms3 ram

i have turbo, HT, c1e, virtualization tech, CPU tm, execute disable, a20e, and speedstep off

cpu ratio 21
bclk 191
ddr3 1531 at 8-8-8-24

cpu volts 1.25
qpi 1.28
dram 1.66

highest temp 60c at full load

only ran prime95 for like an hour no error

anyways is this normal? the cpu volts and qpi they seem a little high for DO stepping with all that stuff turned off.

is there somthing wrong? ive seen people post like 1.18 so there qpi cant be more than .03 different than the vcore

Last edited:

baditude_df

Northern Senior
You're at 4.0GHz. Those voltages and temperatures are fine. I can boot @4.0GHz with Vcore less than 1.2V, but to expect to run a perfectly stable 24/7 4GHz machine with a vcore of 1.18v is a bit unreasonable. Even with HT disabled you're likely looking at slightly higher that 1.2v for stability assuming everything else is in line. You should be able to get that Vcore down to ~1.22v. That's what I ran my 920 D0 at when running 4GHz on a P6T-D.

Last edited:

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
That looks about right to me too, although at a DRAM freq. of 1528MHz (8x multiplier) you might be able to get by w/ dropping the DRAM voltage to ~1.6V. And you might also want to try setting QPI/DRAM voltage to AUTO (1.15 - 1.2V). A lot of folks need a Vcore of 1.3V or higher to achieve the same 4GHz clock, so I'd say a Vcore of 1.25V is pretty darn good. Make sure to also enable Load-Line Calibration, and try setting CPU Differential Amplitude to either 800 or 900mV.

OP
X

xsmooth69x

Registered
there's one thing that kinda confuses me is the relationship between vcore and qpi. everyone only post there vcore voltage but not the qpi is there a reason? should the qpi be lower or higher than the vcore?

tommarow somtime I'll mess with all the setting everyone recomended. also what is the purpose of setting the differential to 800 or 900?

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage - Analogous to northbridge voltage. Even though this is Uncore or QPI/Memory controller voltage, not the actual memory voltage, this voltage needs to be increased to within 0.5 Volts of the DRAM Bus Voltage to keep the CPU overclock safe and stable.

Welcome to the forums.

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 TOP Radeon HD 4850 512MB @ 680 MHz GPU & 2100 MHz Memory
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=595403

baditude_df

Northern Senior
There's no real relationship between Vcore and QPI, other than typically they both need to be increased if you overclock far enough. QPI voltage is otherwise known as the Uncore Voltage or CPU VTT. Uncore refers to anything on the die that is not an actual processing core. Particularly the Memory Controller.
There is, however a relationship between Vdimm and QPI voltage. Vdimm should remain within .5v of QPI. So, you can up your Vdimm past its 1.65v rating, as long as you're also upping your QPI accordingly. For 4.2GHz, I keep my VTT 1.3v and VDimm of 1.65v as my system stays more stable at a .35v difference than .4 or .5v.
More often than not, I find myself upping the Vdimm to accommodate the higher VTT I require when going for high bclk, and not the other way around. This RAM has been as high as 1.85v @ only 1712MHz 8-7-8-21-1T, when it will easily do 2000MHz 9-9-9-27-1T @ stock 1.65v.

Last edited:
OP
X

xsmooth69x

Registered
so as a control to just figure out to make the CPU stable and not juggle the CPU and ram at the same time should I keep the vdimm at 1.65 and loosen the timing to like 9-9-9-24 @ like somthing way under 1600 which my ram is rated then once the CPU is stable start tightening up the ram like to 7-7-7-20 to 1600??

baditude_df

Northern Senior
yep, that's always a good idea. Take the RAM out of the equation till you have everything else figured.

OP
X

xsmooth69x

Registered
is there any other settings i whould play with instead of auto? or is there no need

OP
X

xsmooth69x

Registered
is there a thread that shows other peoples 4ghz ocing of the i7 920 listing there volts and anyother settings?

baditude_df

Northern Senior
hey baditude u said u had ur vcore at 1.22 what was ur qpi at?

My QPI typically stays at ~1.3v, but when bclock is only 200MHz, I can drop it to ~1.2v for a .45v difference between QPI voltage and VDimm. If Bclock is any higher the system goes unstable unless I up the QPI to ~1.3v to give that .35v difference.

is there a thread that shows other peoples 4ghz ocing of the i7 920 listing there volts and anyother settings?

Use the forums search function at the to right of the page. Try "i7 920 settings" or something like that.

I know there are lots of threads here and at XS.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Give these settings a try for 200MHz x 20 (if I didn't enter a setting, then leave it set to AUTO)...

Code:
JumperFree Configuration Settings
AI Overclock tuner: Manual - (X.M.P. Profile #1 if you have XMP ready memory)
CPU Ratio Setting: 20x
Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech: Enabled
Intel (R) Turbo Mode Tech: Disabled
BLCK Frequency: 200
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1603MHz

DRAM Timing Control:

1st Information :

CAS# Latency:
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay:
DRAM RAS# PRE Time:
DRAM RAS# ACT Time:
DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay
DRAM REF Cycle Time:
DRAM Write Recovery Time:
DRAM Read to Precharge Time:
DRAM FOUR ACT WIN Time:
DRAM Back-To-Back CAS# Delay:

2nd Information :

DRAM Timing Mode:
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHA:
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHB:
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHC:

3rd Information :

DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (DD):
DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (DR):
DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (SR):
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (DD):
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (DR):
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (SR):
DRAM READ To READ Delay (DD):
DRAM READ To READ Delay (DR):
DRAM READ To READ Delay (SR):
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay (DD):
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay (DR):
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay (SR):

CPU Voltage: 1.2500 - 1.3500
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.9600
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.35
IOH Voltage:
IOH PCIE Voltage:
ICH Voltage:
ICH PCIE Voltage:
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.66
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA:
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA:
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB:
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB:
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC:
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC:

Load Line Calibration:
CPU Differential Amplitude: 800mV
CPU Clock Skew:
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
IOH Clock Skew :
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Ratio Setting: 20
C1E Suppport: Disabled
Hardware Prefetcher: Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch: Enabled
Intel® Virtualization Tech: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Intel (R) HT Techology: Enabled
Active Processor Cores: All
A20M: Disabled
Intel (R) C-STATE Tech: Enabled
C STATE Package Limit Setting: AUTO

OP
X

xsmooth69x

Registered
this computer that i built was strickly for gaming so all those setting that i disable wont impair my gaming would it?

im using 21x 191

should i use 20x 200

or 19x 211?

does it matter or if one crashes should i try the other 2 options to see if that helps?

OP
X

xsmooth69x

Registered
turning off cpu spreading and pcie spreading ok for gaming idk if that even has any corrilation with it

baditude_df

Northern Senior
Lower bclock and higher multi in this situation. Increasing Bclock past 200MHz is opening another can of worms and there's no reason for it with that chip. Keep it simple, 200Mhz blcock with 20x multi. Nice even numbers FTW. Assuming you're not into Turbo, If you want to get past 4GHz, THEN you'll have to start playing with the Bclock. Be advised though, that the jump from 133 to 200MHz is easier than falling off a bike. The jump from 200 to 210 to 220 becomes increasingly difficult without proper cooling and skill.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
I don't want to preach to you, so I'll just say that overclocking is all about experimentation. You're looking for exact settings, but we can only give you settings that work for us. It's up to you to finalize the settings for a stable overclock for your particular system, and for your intended usage of the PC. About all I can suggest is that if you're happy at 191MHz x 21 w/ a 1528MHz DRAM frequency, then just leave it there. Your RAM is rated for 1600MHz, so if you want to run it at or above spec., in addition to increasing the clock to > 4.0GHz, then you'll need a BCLK of at least 200MHz.

OP
X

xsmooth69x

Registered
ya i just want kinda round numbers but hey red why did u decided to cpu and pcie spreading? i havent seen that one before

and how about pll voltage?

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Spread Spectrum should always be disabled when overclocking. As far as CPU PLL Voltage, start off w/ 1.96V and work your way down to about 1.88V. The settings we posted aren't set in stone, so just experiment and see what works for you.

OP
X

xsmooth69x

Registered
bad how are u stable at 4gig with 1.22vcore? im at 1.28 with the qpi at 1.3 is that normal