• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 930 worth waiting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creecher

ok, so i probably wont get the rest of my stuff for my computer until Xmas, so should i just not get it for Xmas, and take a rain check for a month, and wait for the i7 930? or is it not worth it.

frankly, im tired of waiting, so if its really not worth it, i wont take a rain check.

what are the benefits of the 930, other than the extra multiplier?

doz

I doubt there will be a new stepping. They are already on their 2nd stepping, and its fairly good at that. I would expect to just see another multiplier. Some reports have speculated that it will be 32nm, but I dont see how that would be beneficial, logical, or productive in any way for Intel and I personally have ruled that rumor out.

Id just expect to see a 2.8ghz i7 on x58. And honestly, they will probably be 920 chips so I personally wouldnt hold out if you find a good deal between now and then (like $200 MC deal).

Bobnova

Intel has probably been stockpiling dies that are better then 920s but not up to 950 spec, those'll become 930s.

All the same chicken anyway.

fire2havoc

From what I have read so far, the i7 930 should be priced about the same as the current i7 920. You won't lose anything from waiting (if you can), but it's expected release is Q1 2010 which is anytime from January to March 2010.