• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 940 asus p6t deluxe OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

renol

Looking for any links that could help me out. Currently mine is going to be overclocked by a company but that's just so their warranty covers my OC. The only thing I'm replacing is the liquid cooler with the coolmaster v8. I'm thinking I may have to change the voltage settings on the fan, so I'm looking for links so I can either learn to do my OC or see if someone's already done it here. I tried searching but have yet to see anyone produce the steps for this mobo. Thanks for your time and quality posts I've received so far from everyone. Looking forward to the help on this. I don't want to completely OC my system just bump the cpu alil over 3 so nothing gets hurt. [Edit] I got one response so far but I have no problems getting extra opinions. I will be posting pictures so everyone can see when it arrives. This should help future buyers as well for ideas.

from mattspalace so gets some credit:
You should be able to run 4GHz 24/7 with no problem. Run the CPU voltage in the neighborhood of 1.25v, the QPI at 1.25v, and the memory at whatever voltage it is spec'd for at DDR1600 (either 1.5v or 1.65v depending on model). Disable C1E in the bios and any other energy saving features that declock the CPU, and you should be good to go.

Last edited:

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
Just so you know, and to clarify a bit, you should be able to run 4GHz with ~1.25v, but it could take a bit more. It depends on several factors, but those settings are a good starting point with the board you'll have.

OP
renol

renol

sSpec Number:
CPU Speed:
PCG:
Bus Speed:
Bus/Core Ratio:
L3 Cache Size:
L3 Cache Speed:
SLBCK
2.93 GHz
4.8 GT/s
8 MB
Package Type:
Manufacturing Technology:
Core Stepping:
CPUID String:
Thermal Design Power:
Thermal Specification:
VID Voltage Range:
LGA1366
45 nm
C0
106A4h
130W
67.9°C
.80V-1.375V Product Documentation:
http://www.intel.com/design/corei7/documentation.htm

Correct me if I'm wrong. Based off of this I can't go passed 1.375v on the processor and it has to be at 67.9C. So say I want a 10% OC, I just multiply off the base voltage to get how much to add and do the same with the cooling unit? Not sure what QPI means but I'm guessing that's also the cooling unit. Again fill in the blanks if I'm getting off page.

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
You should read some of the stickies in the top of the section before you attempt to overclock. It can provide a good base of knowledge to build from..

...but on air cooling, I wouldn't go above 1.35v for the CPU.