• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 Cooling requirements for 3.6GHz OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

augie1111

I'm in the market now and it seems that 3.6GHz is the magic number for i7 folding on a 920 DO. I've seen all those massive coolers that folks have in sneaky's PC spread and was wondering if this could be done on air as that's all I can afford ATM and I really don't want to venture into water cooling.

Would something like this Noctua fit the bill? If not then can someone make a recommendation of a product that would serve?

BTW, I would have posted this in the hardware forum but since this is specific to folding, I thought it best posted here.;) :chair::D

Thanks

Surferseth

[email protected] in the City of Lost Angels
I have the same cooler on my i7 C0 @ 3.6 as well. I have noticed though that the fans do not push a ton of air and if you need to get the CPU temps a bit lower, you may want to order some high CFM fans to use in place of the Noctua fans.

There is a great thread in the cooling section where Mudd compares different fan set ups on very similar coolers.

OP
augie1111

augie1111

Wow on the Corsair H50. I just watched the video on installing it and it was dead easy. Of course the price is right too.:)

I'm just confused about the fan direction where they say to blow in cool air from the back??? @ the 3:40 min. mark. I have a CM690 case with a couple of 120mm vents at the top, I'll assume that I would need to install at least one outflow fan as I'll have three GPU's in there so I guess I may as well install a couple of fans from the start.

Maybe I could replace the existing input fan that blows air over the HDDs with the H50 fan? Just musing and typing out loud here.;):D

EDIT: Meh, just noticed the length of the tubes. Ain't gonna reach to the front.:(

Last edited:

Adak

The Noctua is a highly regarded air cooler, both thermally, and acoustically. The stock fans are efficient and quiet. Industry reviewers have used it as their benchmark to test new coolers against. No, it doesn't cool quite as well as a TRUE or Megahalem, but it isn't as large or as expensive, and can be fitted with 2 fans if you have the room. Also, has a good attachment bracket. (snug, and no damn push pins).

The Corsair H50 is $77 on Newegg, and a closed loop liquid cooler - quite different.

Any air cooler will benefit from having more powerful airflow. If you're like me, you don't want to live with a howling fan, however.

Absolutely the best bang for your buck is the Kingwin T-1264 - a clone of the Xigmatic design. Downside (and why I wouldn't recommend it), is that it uses the intel stock cooler type push pins, to secure itself to the cpu.

Those push pins have been OK for me, in the past, but a few times on and off, and those push pins get more difficult to work with, and to rely upon. :mad:

Last edited:

Joeteck

Retired
I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 +, I really don't like the install process of the fans, however it keeps my CPU cool. I was seriously thinking of switching to the H50, because the 212 blocks my other RAM slots, and prevents me from going to 8gig or more RAM... :( and the H50 is smokin easy to install. IMO, I would use the push-pull setup. as that would give the best cooling..

OP
augie1111

augie1111

The Noctua is a highly regarded air cooler, both thermally, and acoustically. The stock fans are efficient and quiet. Industry reviewers have used it as their benchmark to test new coolers against. No, it doesn't cool quite as well as a TRUE or Megahalem, but it isn't as large or as expensive, and can be fitted with 2 fans if you have the room. Also, has a good attachment bracket. (snug, and no damn push pins).

The Corsair H50 is $77 on Newegg, and a closed loop liquid cooler - quite different.

Any air cooler will benefit from having more powerful airflow. If you're like me, you don't want to live with a howling fan, however.

Absolutely the best bang for your buck is the Kingwin T-1264 - a clone of the Xigmatic design. Downside (and why I wouldn't recommend it), is that it uses the intel stock cooler type push pins, to secure itself to the cpu.

Those push pins have been OK for me, in the past, but a few times on and off, and those push pins get more difficult to work with, and to rely upon. :mad:

Hmm, lots to think about and yes Adak, noise is very important to me as the PC will be in the bedroom running 24/7. I saw a recommendation for the Kingwin T-1264 in replacing the fan with a Noctua NF-P12-1300 120MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 1100-1300RPM 63-92M3/H 12.6-19.8DBA

I mean things can't be much quieter than 20db eh? Not bad for $18. Decisions decisions, these are the type that I like to make.;) :beer:

As to the push pins, yes they suck, I hope to never having to remove the cooler. I do like the back bracket that the H50 has, distributes the weight nicely.

Thanks for the responses and keep 'em coming!:)

Adak

Then I'd definitely look beyond the Corsair H50. It's a nice unit, but the pump needs to run "full blast" according to the video from the Corsair company that was linked to, above.

If I were looking to replace my cpu cooler, it would definitely be Noctua. http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...ask=view&id=45&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=5

They didn't get reviewed in the latest round of tests, because they weren't "new". (and "Benchmark Reviews" is a bit of a shill for the industry). Still, look at the stock fan - that's a very efficient and quiet blade design.

If you want more cooling - just zip off the fan (very easy wire bracket), and replace it with the same size Yate Loon DSH which Benchmark Reviews always recommend (costs $7.00, and always tops in 120mm X 25mm fan tests). Or, you can have two fans (it is designed for it, but you will need the room, of course). You can have two Noctua fans, or put on two Yate Loons, (and reach for the ear plugs!).

You'll see a Kingwin RVT cooler in the review, won a silver "tachometer" award. That's a poor design, despite what they say in BR. I'd avoid the RVT design. Heat goes UP, and it doesn't loop back down, very well. I have a similar heatsink/cooler by Thermaltake.

Well made (better than Kingwin), but won't cool worth a damn.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Corsair H50... ehh... better air coolers out for half the cost.

Xigmatek s1283 with a more queit fan (you said noise was a concern) would be the best IMGO.

Adak

Another good recommendation. Is the quiet fan stock with that, or did you mean a separate one, EarthDog?

If it's a separate fan, which one would you recommend for it?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I dont think so, but noise was never an issue to me.

I like Yate Loon mediums personally.

Surferseth

[email protected] in the City of Lost Angels
The Noctua is awesome. I have mine in Push / Pull with the included fans and temps are in the mid 60C range. The HSF is near silent with the included fans, but to get the best cooling out of the Noctua HSF you may want to go for higher CFM fans like the YLs discussed above.

The included fans are fantastic case fans, but dont push a ton of air and therefore dont blow through the HSF as well as some of the other available options.

onefstsnake

So the H50 wont keep an OC'd i7 cool?

I was looking at the H50 because of its small footprint and ease of install.
The reviews Ive read seem to indicate it does pretty well.

I dont think the video meant the pump has to run at 100% all the time, Im assuming they meant to plug the pigtail into a different fan header to prevent the "auto fan speed" feature on most systems.

Adak

So the H50 wont keep an OC'd i7 cool?

I was looking at the H50 because of its small footprint and ease of install.
The reviews Ive read seem to indicate it does pretty well.

I don't think the video meant the pump has to run at 100% all the time, Im assuming they meant to plug the pigtail into a different fan header to prevent the "auto fan speed" feature on most systems.

No, you misunderstood. The pump never should be slowed down - according to the Corsair guy. It runs at just one speed, which I have no problem with.

Sort of. :D

In my experience, NOTHING is more reliable than a fan for a 24/7 duty cycle. Not even a pump designed for it. And that is one VERY small pump.

The tests show that the HD 50 is right in the middle of the pack, among the best air-coolers available. It can do the job, no doubt.

For the $$$ ($79), I just believe there are better ways to go. {Edit: not 97, 79} :chair:

EarthDog: what the blazes is a Yates Loon "medium" fan? Anything more specific would be helpful.

I take it the Yates Loon D12SH is a "high" flow fan, then?
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...k=view&id=371&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=13

OK, this is one of the Yates Loon medium fans: Yate Loon D12SM-12.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Yate Loon Medium - http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...d&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=yate+loon+medium

And you dont think mounting a rad, the tubing, etc isnt going to get in the way??? I would think its easier to mount a heatsink and fan than it is to mount watercooling.

Yes, that H50 will work, but its $78 dollars compared to the $40 you can spend otherwise and achieve the same results. Either way will work. Id rather have the $38 in my pocket personally.

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
The TRUE has served me well though a bit expensive...

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I have been doing a lot of research on water cooling lately, since I am getting ready to take the dive. The H50 is designed for the average Joe user, who wants to say they are running WC, but doesn't want to maintain a full loop. There are really too many things that can go wrong with it. For one thing, the radiator on it is just a single 120mm, which would be fine for a CPU only loop, but you can get much better performance and reliability by building your own loop. If my pump fails, I can replace the pump, if the pump fails on the H50, it is garbage. If I spring a leak in my tubing, I can replace the tube, but with the H50 being a completely sealed system, if a tube starts leaking, it can't be replaced.

Those are the biggest drawbacks that I can think of, but I wouldn't trust my rig folding 24/7 with it. You are much better off spending less money on a decent air cooler, as there is much less that can go wrong with one. If you are thinking about going water, in any way, I would recommend doing some research first.