• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 price drop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

duckycrayfish

i heard that they are going to be comming out with the i7 980x processor with 6 cores. it is sopposed to come out in march, anyone think there will be a price drop of the other ones?

also, is there a hardware difference between the 920/40/50/60 or are they just clocked at different speeds?

jgv115

I doubt there will be a price drop in the near future because no there is no competition whatsoever on the Core i7s or the "enthusiast" CPUs

bda1967

Agreed. Not too many people will fork out the cash for the new 980's. 920's are the mainstream 1366 processors and will continue to be for some time.

nzaneb

Agreed. Not too many people will fork out the cash for the new 980's. 920's are the mainstream 1366 processors and will continue to be for some time.

Actually the 32nm i7 930 will be released around the same time, to replace the 45 nm 920. Buy a 920 now, if you want one.

ChaosInMind

From past experience, I can guess the i9 will be excessively more expensive than the top tier i7 processor, it will be in a new tier all in its own and the current i7 processors will hold their value. 32/45nm processors will co-exist for a few months while 45 hold dominance and 32 gains momentum. The 32 will then outpace the quantities of the 45's over the course of a few more months. This is when the current 45nm prices will drop. You can assume that 45/32 will coexist for quite some time actually so its hard to be specific.

Although its just a guess.

In all honesty, the 32nm is right around the corner. This close to a release I would just wait it out. I tend to wait for tick/tocks.

I purchased 45nm 775 socket when the i7 was released. The prices went down and it was a great build for a great price. Now I am waiting for the 32nm to be released. I like the tocks personally, last gen technology perfected and shrunk. You can throw a new shinny 32nm processor in an older proven board.

OP
duckycrayfish

duckycrayfish

actually alot of people thought that the i7 980x was going to be called the i9. and when they come out with the 32 nm the prices are going to be high again? T.T amd needs to have a huge breakthrough and make processors that compete with intels. i would get a 975 if the prices were lower.
will the 930 be the same processing power as the 920? because if it is what is the point of making a 32 nm version of it?

nzaneb

It will utilize a higher multiplier, for a stock speed of 2.8 ghz. Why would you buy the 975 CPU? Unless you're benching with LN2, it's not really worth it to get anything more than the 920/930. 950/960 if you really want to push it on air/h20, will allow you a little freedom (due to the higher multiplier) but all in all won't net you much over a nice 920 overclock.

nzaneb

can you overclock a 960 higher then a 930? ill take your advide on that nzaneb

Depends :) The only thing the 960 will allow for is other components that aren't quite up to par. What I mean by that is; due to the lower multiplier of the 920/930, you will need: 1.) a motherboard that can push higher base clocks 2.) Ram that can keep up

The higher multiplier of the 960 will give you freedom to run a lower base clock. Really the Ram isn't as much of an issue, as most people buy at least 1600 mhz Ram, and that provides more than enough wiggle room for a nice 920 high bclock overclock. I mean, why would you buy crap Ram and a 960 CPU??? The motherboard is really where you need to pay attention, and go with a proven "b-clocker" (haha, I should coin that term) I'd first set forth some goals, and then post them on the forums, and let people help you to make an educated decision.

TBH... if you're shooting for anything 4.4ghz and less... go with a 920/930. My 960 wouldn't even validate (CPU-Z suicide run) at what my 920 could. They're all the same chip, ones just binned higher.

OP
duckycrayfish

duckycrayfish

ok well im getting the ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer and ddr3-2000 ram. so im sure my hardware will be able to handle it. ive pretty much deceded on everything accept the processor. i dont want to spend too much money but i dont want to wast this mobo and ram :p

if this helps.... its fsb is QPI 6.4GT/S

and the 920 and 960 are the exact same thing? just comes with higher multiplier?