• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 start up times

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arc

Registered
Hi there guys having a bit of a speed issue with my rig it is taking 50 secs from time to push button to ready to go no having to enter passwords and i have done a fresh windows 7 install. Specs are in sig.

Now i have done the following

- I have enabled all 8threads on start up
-disabled full screen logo
- White sata sockets, under Integrated Peripherals go down to the Onboard Sata/Ide device and set it to Disabled
- Enterd each IDE slot that isn't being used and set it from 'Auto' to 'None'

now ive had someone on another site suggest this

you need to tell us what speed your ram is, weather its XMP and weather you've selected the correct XMP for its rated speed

and this is my reply and havnt heard back from him and its been 2 days so what do you guys think of the settings becuase i have no clue.
Extreme Memory Profile (x.m.p) disabled
System memory multiplyier (spd) auto
memory frequency (mhz) 1066 1066
DRAM Timing selectable (spd) auto

Im using this ram

OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 / 1333MHz / Intel Core i7 Edition

and maybe considering a ram or mobo upgrade to see if i can get a faster boot time.

Mainly after peoples thoguhts if this time is normal some of the vids i look at on utube ect there getting 24sec sec.

i7 920+true 120|EX-58 Extreme|OCZ 12gb i7 edition|ATI 5870|OCZ Vertex 60gb SSD|WD black 500gb|Pioneer Blu-ray|Pioneer DVD-rw|Corsair HX-850|G5|G15|Z4|HAF 932

Last edited:

MechaWyvern

From my understanding this is an issue with the I7 in general across all boards. I've read on several websites about how long the boot time is, and it seems it just comes with the territory. My EVGA board also takes about 45 seconds to go through inital boot and post.

sandyduff

Great Scot! Member
Yup seems a common thing... mine sits for about 10 - 15 seconds before the initial post beep...

nzaneb

Open 3 instances of CPU-Z http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php, set each one to a different tab (CPU, SPD, Memory), take a screenshot, and post it here. Sounds like you might have some wacked out memory timings. I would definitely set your ram specs manually, to eliminate that as a potential problem.

OP
A

arc

Registered
Am I reading this wrong or are you using ide?

Think your reading it wrong i use sata no ide. I use vertex ssd as os drive as well. Will do the cpu-z thing when i get home from work.

nzaneb

Well the memory timings look fine. While CAS 8, at that speed, is not that great, it shouldn't be causing that much of a slow down.

Where is the majority of the time spent? During the POST or while loading Windows? Longer POST times are very common with x58, but loading Windows should be nice and snappy.

OP
A

arc

Registered
Well the memory timings look fine. While CAS 8, at that speed, is not that great, it shouldn't be causing that much of a slow down.

Where is the majority of the time spent? During the POST or while loading Windows? Longer POST times are very common with x58, but loading Windows should be nice and snappy.

do you think changing the ram in op will give me much differnce once I get home I will post how long it takes to go through each stage

doz

Well, different boards take longer to post. Mine takes about 15-20 seconds to post, and so do alot of i7 boards (if not longer). If your windows load time is on par, you are good to go. You can disable things in the bios that check (raid controller, express gate, ect), but thats as far as it goes. Theres really not alot you can do, just comes with the territory and x58.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
From my understanding this is an issue with the I7 in general across all boards. I've read on several websites about how long the boot time is, and it seems it just comes with the territory. My EVGA board also takes about 45 seconds to go through inital boot and post.

Yup seems a common thing... mine sits for about 10 - 15 seconds before the initial post beep...

i must be lucky then, cause none of my i7 boards take that long. not my P55 or my X58, hell they are faster then my Abit IP35-pro... with the Asrock p55-m/GB-p55m-ud2/gb-p55m-ud4, you cant be fast enough to hit the delete key to get into bios. put it this way loading win7 from a seagate 80gig drive sata. the monitor doesnt come out of standby till the win7 loading screen...

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
P55 I dont think has the same issue as X58 boards..

and i dont have issues with my x58 board... i dont see how one board can have this issue from X but not with Y. people here claim its normal with X58, not seeing it here...

OP
A

arc

Registered
Ok from press of power button 17 secs is when monitor switches on from standby, 24 sec windows starts to load then at 45 sec its ready to go.

thought on the ram upgrade ?

sandyduff

Great Scot! Member
Mine doesnt take that long... it takes roughly 30 seconds from press the button to using windows...

OP
A

arc

Registered
Mine doesnt take that long... it takes roughly 30 seconds from press the button to using windows...

Why did you need to share that lol have you got any other tips.

Also i have noticed there is a preformance boost option it is set on turbo at the moment is it safe to swap to extreme.

dylskee

and i dont have issues with my x58 board... i dont see how one board can have this issue from X but not with Y. people here claim its normal with X58, not seeing it here...

My X58 takes 13 seconds to post beep and another 50 to load to my desktop.

sandyduff

Great Scot! Member
I was just saying how long mine takes to boot... it seems to happen to quite a few folk running an x58... seems to be luck of the draw...