• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 start up times

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had a Rampage II Extreme, and it was probably about 10s or so from when I pressed my power button, for the first post screen to actually pop up. The first time I turned it on, I actually though something was wrong. I now have a Gigabyte EX58-Extreme, and it takes a few seconds longer. Once the post does come up though, it's generally very snappy to start windows.

Never had that on any of the various P35/P45 motherboards I've had, or any at all for that matter. Just think it's an X58 thing.

Load takes me 28 seconds from power button, 14 seconds to post, 14 seconds to load windows to desktop.

14 seconds is quite a long time and it seems that most boards on the x58 platform are around that area (10-15 seconds). Maybe the MSI doesnt have the issue? I know EVGA boards do the same thing, and it seems Giga's have the same issue.

Im just used to a very fast post time from P45 (where it would take about 4 seconds, 10 seconds longer on x58 for me).

The eVGA X58 LE takes FOREVER to post. I would bet it's a good 20 seconds to just hear the post beep. It had me concerned when I first threw it together.

im guessing here but 10secs from power button to post beep... about 20-30secs to a full win7 desktop..

Does anybody know the technical reason why X58 motherboards take so long to even have post come up from when you first hit the power button? I've never had any other motherboard do that.

Long boot times on MSI x58 platinum as well. Good 10+ seconds before "beep"

Think it has to do with how i7 optimizes. I do know that this setup will post and load windows at WILDLY unstable settings. Something I have never seen before.

Back