• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i792 o/c advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lffoar

Hi all,

I've just built my first comp and set my system up as follows with what is a "mild" oc and just want some feedback as to whether it is correct and "safe".

A1 Overclock tuner manual
CPU ratio setting auto
Speed step enabled
Turbo enabled
BLCK 160
PCIE frequency 100
DRAM frequency DDR3 1282MHz

DRAM timing controls 7-7-7-20

CPU voltage 1.10000

DRAM bus voltage 1.5v

Load line calibration enabled

All other settings untouched ie auto

Core temp showing 39-44 deg celsius

CPU i7920 DO running at 3.2GHz
Asus P6T mobo
6 Mb Patriot Viper 1600 RAM
Thermaltake 750w PSU
Antec 902 case, 4 fans
LG GH22NS50 optical drive
WD 500Gb SATA HDD
WD 320 Gb SATA HDD
Nvidia 9800GT video card

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Is it stable?

What are the load temps?

And if you didnt change the voltage, I really wouldnt worry to much. But check the load temps with a program like Prime 95 and use Large FFT.

Check out the i7 overclocking guide in my signature. That should give you some good insight on overclocking.

OP
L

lffoar

Earthdog,

Ran Prime 95 for 45 min until all tests showed "passed"
Temp on Core temp got to 74c with low fan speeds then turned up all 4 fans to high and it stabilised at 72c. Is that too high? Txs

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
At the current BCLK of 160MHz, change the DRAM frequency from 1280MHz (8x memory multiplier) to 1600MHz (10x multiplier) w/ timings set to 8-8-8-24 and 1.65V (assuming these are the SPD timings and voltage at DDR3-1600MHz).

OP
L

lffoar

Hi Redduc, can you tell me,
What is the benefit of raising the Dram freq? Wouldn't upping the voltages cause more heat? What does changing the timings do?
Sorry for the possibly "dumb" questions but I've never o/c'd before and am just stumbling through. I'm not after an extreme oc where I have to upgrade cooling etc. Just a mild oc to improve speed/performance without cost or danger.

bda1967

Your RAM is actually underclocked at the lower BLCK setting. Taking the multiplier to 10 should get your speed back to 1600MHz and your RAM needs to have 1.65v in order to be stable at the higher speeds. It will not hurt it as everybody runs their DDR3 at approximately 1.65v.