• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i9 11900k Lanes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n00bftw

Registered
I want to upgrade my system to an i911900k and appropriate motherboard, I require the following components to be connected,

• X1 NVME (Samsung 970 Evo)
• X1 3090FE
• X1 NIC (x540)

4 lanes for the NVME
16 for the GPU
4 or 8 (not 100% sure) for the NIC

So that could be 24 minimum and 28 lanes maximum

Do I have enough PCI-E lanes to run all this?

Thanks in advance.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
What does the NIC ask for bandwidth/size wise?

Assuming it's x4, you would hook it up to a slot on the motherboard that's PCIe 3.0 x4 (but x8+ in size - so likely full length). The GPU and M.2 will use the CPU PCIe lanes. :thup:

OP
n00bftw

n00bftw

Registered
The NIC states PCI-E version 2 x8, so not sure if it would work just as well in a PCI-E 3 x4. With that said, I am trying to find out if the CPU and an appropriate motherboard would have enough PCI-E lanes for everything I listed above.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
The NIC states PCI-E version 2 x8, so not sure if it would work just as well in a PCI-E 3 x4
PCIe 2.0 x8 is equal to 3.0 x4 for bandwidth.

With that said, I am trying to find out if the CPU and an appropriate motherboard would have enough PCI-E lanes for everything I listed above.
As inferred above, yes. :)

The CPU has 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes. You'll use 16 for the GPU and 4 for the M.2. The full-length slot is connected to the chipset for full speed (PCIe 3.0 x4) and that's where you'll connect the NIC. In other words, the M.2 and GPU have nothing to do with it because those are PCIe 4.0 slots connected to the CPU. The PCIe slot you'd install this to is chipset connected. :thup:

OP
n00bftw

n00bftw

Registered
Thanks, would the same setup be possible on an i9 11900k?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
5950X and X570 have several more PCIe lanes than Intel does. B550 is a bit more limited, but still plenty for the setup you described in the first post.

May I ask why you need a 10 GbE? Most don't have above 1 GbE service, so unless you're networked with a couple 10G NICs, you're limited by your ISP. What Im saying is that these boards, B550 and Z590 (mid-range+ X570) have 2.5 GbE on them already which is plenty fast for most. Just making sure it's actually necessary to use too. :thup:

OP
n00bftw

n00bftw

Registered
I have several 10GB NICS networked around the house for high-speed internal transfer. I will go X570 5950x just to be on the safe side.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I wouldn't say it's more safe, there's just more. As described above, you can easily accomplish your goals with Z590, B550, and X570, among others. There isn't a question of if it can or not and to be 'safe'. :)

OP
n00bftw

n00bftw

Registered
I wouldn't say it's more safe, there's just more. As described above, you can easily accomplish your goals with Z590, B550, and X570, among others. There isn't a question of if it can or not and to be 'safe'. :)

I'm also choosing the 5950x as I'm coming from an i9 7900x, and don't want to pay for fewer cores/threads than i have now, which i would if i went Intel. 16 cores and 36 threads seem great to me, and with a high clock frequency to boot, which can be overclocked past 5Ghz, win win win.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
If you can use more than the 10c/20t Intel has to offer, then they are great chips, no doubt.

And.... no chance you'll get that CPU to run all cores at 5GHz+. You'll be lucky to reach 4.7 GHz all cores and threads. Unless you're using all the cores and threads, you'll likely want to overclock by adjusting PBO. This way you get the most out of the CPU in all circumstances (not sure of how you plan to use this CPU).

BVut yeah, you're going from old HEDT (10c/20t) to modern mainstream. Intel doesn't offer more than 10c/20t on mainstream (which makes sense considering 95% of 'mainstream' users can't utilize more than 8c/16t anyway).

If you can't use all the cores and threads, consider 5900X and save a bit of coin. 20% more and faster (IPC) cores/threads... ;)