• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i9 9900k cooling with Noctua

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thermaltake

Registered
Hi, I am upgrading my PC soon with i9 9900k and MSI MEG z390 MBO. I have 6700k now with Z170 Extreme 4 MBO. And I am cooling it with NH-U12A with 1 fan. I know that i9 9900k is heater of CPU I already work with it, but I wasn't able to test it with air coolers, only AiO solutions. So I was wondering if my NH-U12A with push pull setup will be enough for i9 9900k CPU ? I will buy some AiO one day, but not in the mood of buying one these days, so I would like to use my air cooler if someone test it and can confirm that it's ok.

P.S
Any suggestions for AiO in future for that cpu ?

i would think if the cpu is at stock speed it would be more then enough for the U12A in a push/pull configuration. overclocking it might be slightly different story, i cant say how much though. i found this article while looking for thermal paste comparison chart. they use the i9 9900K overclocked to 5ghz, using the Cryorig R1 Ultimate which looks simulator to me to the NH-D15 heatsink. while look into the heatsink you mentioned i found this video on youtube comparing the D15 and the U12A, worth a quick watch to help make up your mind.

if i were in your shoes i would do a mild overclock on the cpu using the U12A in a push/pull maybe around 4.4-4.8ghz i like to keep my load temps from intel burntest/prime 95 in the mid 60's with it low 70's being my max. it all comes to how loud a setup your willing to have to keep it cool while overclocking. my pc is about 3ft from me so finding that balance is what i do, everyone is different. now in this link is about the thermal past, posted this last since it kind of ties to your AIO question, thermal paste round up they have the i9900k overclocked to 5ghz so i can give you some idea going from air to water. not all AIO's are going to be the top air heatsinks but if you want something quieter they are worth looking into if you are ok backing your overclock off a bit it your temps get to high. seems since last real overclocking i did with a First Gen i7 max TJ temp has gone up. I have noticed a conscious with the OC community that it running at/around 80c max is safe for long term use with the newer cpus. though we will prolly never have the cpu running that high a temp the entire time we are using the pc, most games dont tax the cpu that much. there are some games that still do, i just have not gone looking for a list. i think that supreme commander is the biggest taxing game for the cpu, i could be wrong.

i would think if the cpu is at stock speed it would be more then enough for the U12A in a push/pull configuration. overclocking it might be slightly different story, i cant say how much though. i found this article while looking for thermal paste comparison chart. they use the i9 9900K overclocked to 5ghz, using the Cryorig R1 Ultimate which looks simulator to me to the NH-D15 heatsink. while look into the heatsink you mentioned i found this video on youtube comparing the D15 and the U12A, worth a quick watch to help make up your mind.

if i were in your shoes i would do a mild overclock on the cpu using the U12A in a push/pull maybe around 4.4-4.8ghz i like to keep my load temps from intel burntest/prime 95 in the mid 60's with it low 70's being my max. it all comes to how loud a setup your willing to have to keep it cool while overclocking. my pc is about 3ft from me so finding that balance is what i do, everyone is different. now in this link is about the thermal past, posted this last since it kind of ties to your AIO question, thermal paste round up they have the i9900k overclocked to 5ghz so i can give you some idea going from air to water. not all AIO's are going to be the top air heatsinks but if you want something quieter they are worth looking into if you are ok backing your overclock off a bit it your temps get to high. seems since last real overclocking i did with a First Gen i7 max TJ temp has gone up. I have noticed a conscious with the OC community that it running at/around 80c max is safe for long term use with the newer cpus. though we will prolly never have the cpu running that high a temp the entire time we are using the pc, most games dont tax the cpu that much. there are some games that still do, i just have not gone looking for a list. i think that supreme commander is the biggest taxing game for the cpu, i could be wrong.

Merry Christmas thnx for reply.

I won't overclock for now as long as I don't get some AiO. I'm not worry for temps when I'm not using it heavily, but I'm concerned when turbo boost kicks in while gaming or something, it is 5Ghz.

Thermal paste that I'm using is Kryonaut always for this kind of builds.

Last edited:
The great thing about an AIO is that you don't need one to overclock :thup:

If you want to overclock, you have to move a little air. If you want silence, overclocking is not in your future :D

The great thing about an AIO is that you don't need one to overclock :thup:

If you want to overclock, you have to move a little air. If you want silence, overclocking is not in your future :D

I understand, I set my curve now to be silent while browsing, watching movies, doing Photoshop or doing some mixes in Cubase, and while gaming fans turns up to 80+ % would that be ok for that CPU to cool and to be in safe temps. I don't like my system to be hot. Now while idle or when browsing CPU don't get above 25C, and while gaming or prime 95 test it's not getting more than 68C.

if its noise level your ok with at that fan speed and keeps the temps where you want them go with it ! :beer:

honestly i wouldnt go AIO even though i have thought about. running some i play just about every day my oc doesnt make it any faster. im thinking about reducing my oc to 4ghz or 4.2ghz and im going to wind up at some point switching to a different heatstink. running a tower one now but i want to go back to a top down cooler.

if its noise level your ok with at that fan speed and keeps the temps where you want them go with it ! :beer:

honestly i wouldnt go AIO even though i have thought about. running some i play just about every day my oc doesnt make it any faster. im thinking about reducing my oc to 4ghz or 4.2ghz and im going to wind up at some point switching to a different heatstink. running a tower one now but i want to go back to a top down cooler.

I will see when I test it, and let everyone know how it is with U12A.

Why don't you just set it to work on stock, it will boost itself when needed to 5Ghz anyway.

i havent looked into it but if its the same boost clock is only on one core not all core.
*edit*
think we are talking about two different cpus, lol my i5 9600k doesnt boost to 5ghz.

i havent looked into it but if its the same boost clock is only on one core not all core.
*edit*
think we are talking about two different cpus, lol my i5 9600k doesnt boost to 5ghz.

Haha yes I'm talking about i9 9900k

Also, don't just limit yourself to Noctua, they aren't the end all be all. There are others like Thermalright with their Le Grand Macho RT (320w) and True Spirit 140 Power (360w) that easily perform as good or better than D14, and D15's. There are others, but I haven't used them. A work mate has a Dark Rock Pro 4 (250w) on his stock 9700K and seems to be happy with it.

The D15 is a formidable cooler which stands as one of the best coolers Noctua has ever come out with.

I agree. And yet this excellent heatsink is outperformed by an NH-D14 (EOL) with two NF-A14 2000 fans. We await the release of Noctua's 140mm fans that are the larger analogs to the NF-A12x25, and the 7-heatpipe heatsink that will be the evolution of the six-heatpipe NH-D15. Now that will be a heatsink.

So I should sell this U12 and buy D15 ? For me personally I don't like that fan is covering half of top motherboard, you can't even see your ram from it.

Or.. you can look at Le Grand Macho RT from Thermalright. You get all of the performance of a D15, its slightly quieter, and it will not block your ram. And, if you really want to seal the deal, add a TY-143 and bump your 74cfm fan up to 130cfm.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/thermalright-le-grand-macho/

https://www.amazon.com/Grand-Macho-...3?keywords=thermalright&qid=1578758102&sr=8-3

But a TY-143 pays for its throughput by being LOUD. As one who has tested a TY-143, I should know.

Also, I would not have a TR on my machine if you want to be able to use it later for comparisons. The Noctua's convexity was always slight.

Its only loud if you use it at full speed. And have you ever moved a lot of air quietly? Not going to happen. As for Convexity, my LGMRT has a nicer surface than my D14 did, and is a stronger performer.

Back