• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i9 9900K Thermal Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sajeev3105

Registered
Hi Guys,
One of my friends just bought an i9 9900K. He asked me to help him with an issue that he is facing with regards to the thermals in his system. Before I can visit him and see what is going wrong with his system I thought it would be good to have a small discussion with you guys here.

Now the problem is that even without an Overclocking profile both on Ram and CPU, his system just crashing on Prime95 29.8, sometimes he gets a BSOD and sometimes the system completely freezes. His cooling is not a problem as he is on Custom Loop with an EK Vector block. He told me that his temps were as high as 98-99 degrees (Hwininfo) as soon as he starts Prime95. He told me that he was running the small FTT Test w/o any overclocking. What is strange in this scenario is that he informed that his system is thermal throttling all the time and he sees some of his cores (#Core 4, #Core 7)completely greyed out. Also he did inform that Prime95 was showing some of his cores mentioning Stooped Working and that the temps on #Core 4 & #Core 7 were consistently 99 Degrees and were showing to be thermal throttling.

Ohhh Yes before I forget his Ideal temperatures were 45-50 degrees even though the pump was running at higher RPM's and his Rads are same as mine Alphacool X45 420MM copper radiator. He has a very good airflow in his system(he is using a Thermaltake View 71 case).

Any idea what could be the problem, I seriously suspect that he has a very bad CPU...

Rgds
Sajeev

I would try re-seating the waterblock. Did he remove any plastic protective stickers?(in case there might be any?)
Perhaps there are air pockets in the waterblock?

Yeah I did ask him though if he removed the plastic cover from the base before putting the cpu block on... He told me he did confirm that twice before placing the water block..

By Re-Seating do you mean taking the block out and putting it back on with a fresh application of TIM?

Also if you could just give me an idea as to what do you mean by air pockets in the water block? if I understand do you mean air trapped inside? If that is the case I will try and see if tilting the computer a few times would help...

Rgds
Sajeev

Yeah I did ask him though if he removed the plastic cover from the base before putting the cpu block on... He told me he did confirm that twice before placing the water block..

By Re-Seating do you mean taking the block out and putting it back on with a fresh application of TIM?
yes Sir, perhaps it was fitted crooked or not tightened evenly?
Also if you could just give me an idea as to what do you mean by air pockets in the water block? if I understand do you mean air trapped inside? If that is the case I will try and see if tilting the computer a few times would help...
correct, air can be difficult to get out at times in general. If air bubble is trapped, it will circle round d and round, hindering any cooli g attempts.
Rgds
Sajeev

Not an expert, but some things I'd try if I had these issues.

Agreed...something isnt right there... reseat the vlock and apply new paste. Shake the rad around to get bubbles out... make sure the pump is running, etc. Tryi resetting bios defaults too...

Not an expert, but some things I'd try if I had these issues.
Tks man. This should help me a lot. If that's the case solving this problem shouldn't be an issue but my concern is perhaps if this is not causing the possible issue then the poor chap is in for a big trouble...

Many of these chips run at high 90°C on water. For example, AIO with 360 rad is good enough to cool down my 9900K to about 95-97°C when it runs in Prime/Small FFT. More/larger radiators won't help because the problem is not the water temp but how fast this chip is getting hot and how much heat has to be transferred from a really small surface.
Of course, it's good to be sure if contact is not the issue, if there are no bubbles in the loop and other things what other guys already said. I just don't think he will see much better temps but maybe below throttling point.
Another thing is that when BIOS works correctly then the CPU will run at ~95°C max and it will throttle to keep about this temp under full load. It still should be stable, just slower. So can try to clear CMOS or check if there is a new BIOS version. For short period of time 98-99°C is quite normal ... during constant work not really and when CPU is crashing at default settings then something isn't right.

Something does not sound correct with stock default clocks. I would check the coolant flow.

Hi guys. Sorry for a late response on the matter as I got busy with my daughter's birth, which finally happened last week. So I visited my friend and found out that there was absolutely no issues with his cooling system, everything just seemed fine. Pump was working fine with the water flowing through the loop properly w/o any blockage. I checked his water block which was also fine. I tried resetting the BIOS to factory defaults, which still didn't work. I checked his MOBO with another i9-9900K and it worked fine. I guess it's the processor, probably will have to delid the processor and check again.

Anyhow tks guys..

Congrats on the baby.

Regarding the CPU, if it's throttling at stock with adequate cooling and you've made sure that everything is mounted correctly, I would go the RMA route vs the warranty voiding modification route.

Congrats on the baby.

Regarding the CPU, if it's throttling at stock with adequate cooling and you've made sure that everything is mounted correctly, I would go the RMA route vs the warranty voiding modification route.
Good point, actually slipped my mind...

Hi, just saw this.. testing prime95 29.x on small FFTs is a wrong place to start. This test is by far one of the hardest ones that pushes enormous amounts of power through the processor, heating it too much. For instance I've seen 158watts power dissipation in a i7-8700 that normally uses around 100watts in any 100% load that does not use AVX instructions. I guess the 9900K can easily go up to 200+ watts on 100% AVX load such as prime95 v29.x. This is too much for many HSFs or AIOs and the load is NOT realistic.
My suggestion is to push up slowly with lighter stress tests (for instance : XTU->AIDA->Realbench->Prime95 26.x->Occt->Prime95 29.x) and improve the solution step by step maintaining / avoiding throttling. Things to do to keep things cool are varied, for example :

- Undervolt the CPU (look for guides online. you can do it through BIOS or using XTU or throttlestop)
- Improve case air flow (if cooling on air) or radiator air flow (if cooling w/AIO). Be imaginative.. think on how to provide more and cooler air to the radiators/heatsinks.
- Improve cooler contact / thermal paste or contact pressure to the CPU (the higher the pressure, the better, but beware on breaking things!)
- Improve HSF / AIO cooler whole. Basically your cooler or AIO may be not enough or not working correctly.
- Use AVX offset in BIOs (if temps are basically bad w/AVX)
- Set some CPU power limits (through BIOS or XTU)
- Play with max. ratios (BIOS / XTU) basically underclock the CPU if necessary or disable 'heat' producer features such as XMP, hyperthreading, .. (I'd do this as a last resort)
- Delid the CPU and place some liquid metal between lid and CPU. Quite drastic but usually gives brilliant results.

5GHz 9900K at 1.3V = ~250W. Most of them can't make 5GHz at 1.30V. New Noctua cooler which is about the best you can get, can handle about 210-220W before throttling point on 9900K because of small die size. The same cooler can handle 250W+ on other CPUs with a larger die. AIO designed for 400W+ can barely handle the 9900K because of the same reason.

I am really surprised they are using such high voltage still on such a small part. My 3770k is such a hot pos, 1.3v is pretty much my limit on air, even H100 could barely handle it. 1.35v is my max for things like linpack.. in the winter.. Yet on my x5690 1.3 is just getting started, wayyy more to go lol. :D

I honestly thought these things would be doing 5ghz with around 1.2-1.25v just sipping power and running cool with their soldered ihs. And they want to go smaller? Do you think that would help? Or make things worse? I think they need to tap into some more alien technology now :shrug:

:sly:

Mine runs fine on day to day at 5ghz at stock voltages. I bought mine used from a person that wanted a 5.2 capable chip. The silicon lottery is real. :)

I agree with the post above talking about gradually stepping up stress testing. I rarely use my rig for anything but gaming and productivity to pushing it to unreasonable artificial limits doesn't make sense to me.

:D

Back