• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i9 9900k troubleshooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chrisaern

Hi.

I've been doing some troubleshooting on my rig as I think it's not performing as it should.

First of all I do play some games on this rig. CSGO mostly and I cannot make a conclusion as to where my problem is. I encounter stutters regularly and it feels like I have massive input lag.
Along the way I've swapped alot of hardware to battle the issues, but they are still present.

In my OC I have set V CORE to manual and 1.334 V, with a multiplier of 52 making my 9900k run stable at 5.2 GHZ. With a LLC of 6 this means I'm running 1.31 V ish under 100% load.

I can't wrap my head around as how this even works? Have I won the billion silicone lottery? This OC is stable, and no throttling what so ever.

My question: is there some way this VCORE can make my CPU run badly, but still be 'working'? ANy help grealy appreciated.

Specs:

ASUS z390-H
i9 9900k
16gb Corsair Vengeance 3200 mhz
Asus Geforce RTX 2080ti
NZXT Kraken x53
Samsung 980 PRO 512 M2 SSD

View attachment 212206

View attachment 212207

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Thats a good chip surely. You can try adding a bit more voltage to see if it helps...but doubtful.

As far as input lag, do you have any sort of vsync enabled?

OP
C

chrisaern

Thats a good chip surely. You can try adding a bit more voltage to see if it helps...but doubtful.

As far as input lag, do you have any sort of vsync enabled?

No, disabled ingame and also in Nvidia control panel.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Did you try raising vcore a bit (0.05V).
Have you tried new drivers for the GPU?
Reinstalled the game?
Does it happen in any other games?
Are you sure what you're seeing is input lag... please describe it... :)

OP
C

chrisaern

Did you try raising vcore a bit (0.05V).
Have you tried new drivers for the GPU?
Reinstalled the game?
Does it happen in any other games?
Are you sure what you're seeing is input lag... please describe it... :)

Yes, no difference unfortunatly.

Reinstalled, reformatted w10. It's the same in all games basically.

Well I'm not sure what to call it. It just feels like my PC is 'behind', like high frame times and sluggish mouse feeling, also the mentioned stutters.

Geden

Try disabling HPET, (High precision event timer).
That works for some people in regards of the stuttering.

Have you tried a different mouse? :)
Mouse lag/stutter i not uncommon, especially with lower polling hz.
Sometimes it is enough to disconnect and connect the mouse again.

I play Csgo to and for me it was Anti-aliasing that gave me stutters, and for a friend it was his Internet connection.
Cs is just a crappy game in terms of optimization.

Last edited:
OP
C

chrisaern

Try disabling HPET, (High precision event timer).
That works for some people in regards of the stuttering.

Have you tried a different mouse? :)
Mouse lag/stutter i not uncommon, especially with lower polling hz.
Sometimes it is enough to disconnect and connect the mouse again.

I play Csgo to and for me it was Anti-aliasing that gave me stutters, and for a friend it was his Internet connection.
Cs is just a crappy game in terms of optimization.

HPET is not a thing on a z390 board is it? It's at least not an option in bios. And Windows uses TSC?
Yes, tried alot of different mouses.

I play with all settings on low, no AA or effect details. Internet connection has been checked, I play on a 300/30 connection with no jitter or other issues. Replaced my router with a newer model and also replaced modem, so there is not troubles regarding internet.

However I've tried to underclock my CPU, and this really confuses me as I cannot see any kind of decrease in performance, it's rather alot better and consistent FPS and more snappy/responsive mouse.

From 5.2 to 4.6 ghz with 1.15 vcore.

Geden

I have an Msi z390, dont think HPET is in bios but you can disable it in Device manager.
Or maybe it is just a "bad" Overclock, if you are seeing its gets better with lower clock.

Danish language :)
View attachment 212336