• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IBM 120GXP Max 333hrs/month

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjlax5

so they are recomending that u run it half the time, know what the recomendations on other drives are?

slim_lim

Ridiculous. Any computer component should be able to run 24/7 without risking being damaged. Anything that cannot is an inferior product that shouldn't be manufactured in the 1st place.

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
slim_lim said:
Ridiculous. Any computer component should be able to run 24/7 without risking being damaged. Anything that cannot is an inferior product that shouldn't be manufactured in the 1st place.

Couldn't have said it any better than that.

Dissolved

well this issue has come up Alot.. i think its due to cooling wise, but ppl dont seem to agree with me. i have a 120gxp 80gig, and i run 24/7.. and frankly if it dies, ill just get a new one, and keep getting new ones till my warrinty is up. i just may get a WD SE drive for a backup.
i havent heard of anyones drive failing yet, so keep me posted if you guys find anymore info..
i run hdd temp to monitor my hdd temp (duh) and its never more then 41c (hard load) as it usualy runs about 1-2C above room/case temps.

Dissolved

slim_lim said:

im Very p off about this. i got my 120gxp 80gig for 190 bucks right when they came out in mid jan, now there 140.. and im looking to a possible failier, and i have no backup drive. This really sucks. Now i wont be able to resell this drive in the future seeing it sounds like there not worth a penny. there go for alot of ebay right now tho.. altho i wouldnt do that, cuz id feel to bad for selling a hdd that has a possible to good chance in failing ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad:

Cooler666

Disabled
oh well i'll just wait for it to fail then ;)
can't wait to get a 140 instead and see it fail too :D

Q: So have there been as many failures with the 120GXP as the 75GXP?
A: Not at all, In fact, I haven't heard of any 120GXP failures yet.

I'll give it 6 months

Revx

Yeh i agree though i think the main problems with the gxp's is cooling, for me, i wouldn't even consider running a gxp without a hard drive cooler, in my eyes it's like throwing an athlon in a system with no heatsink(which my friend just did) those are some hot hard drives and any sort of hard drive cooler will do the trick really. hardcorecooling had just what i was looking for in a hard drive cooler.:rolleyes:

Yodums

For some reason IBM has to be cooled to run right, not my type of hard drive, and now they add a limited time to run it? BS!

Not trashing IBM, just that this is just stupid.

Yodums

Dissolved

Yodums said:
For some reason IBM has to be cooled to run right, not my type of hard drive, and now they add a limited time to run it? BS!

Not trashing IBM, just that this is just stupid.

Yodums

well like the guy said above with compairison to amd processors. I think IBM drives are the best, if you cool then enough then the drive will be fine. i mean im computers, dont all the fastest best things run hot and have to be cooled? look at the intel line, those can praticly run w/o active cooling :p

Revx

Yoddums they aren't putting a limit on it over all, that's for the average joe who wouldnt even begin to suspect that this here do hicky might need a fan. When combined with nearly any kind of hard drive cooler that limit isnt there.

OP
S

Showlow

Registered
Revx said:

Yoddums they aren't putting a limit on it over all, that's for the average joe who wouldnt even begin to suspect that this here do hicky might need a fan. When combined with nearly any kind of hard drive cooler that limit isnt there.

How do you know this? I havn't seen any info that this 333 hr limit has anything to do with heat-issues. I hope it does though since that can be easily fixed.

nuclearmonkey

Registered
if its a heat related issue, it does certainly make sense, but despite that it is still BS. If their drive needs cooling, they should bundle it with a HD cooler.

Dissolved

Showlow said:

How do you know this? I havn't seen any info that this 333 hr limit has anything to do with heat-issues. I hope it does though since that can be easily fixed.

well i guess you havent owned one of the gxp (75, or 120) model hdd's. they get extemely hot.. my 75gxp almost burnt me.. so i got a 120gxp, and i never run it witho active cooling, and i have hdd temp (a program) to warm me when the hdd gets 41C or higher. ive never ran mine over 40c.. so hoping that will keep it longer, plus im thinking about water cooling it.

Revx

You have a point, they should bundle it with some sort of cooling, that's true, but then again, amd and intel bundle their cpus with cooling and we all know how badly stock coolers suck, i personally would rather buy a nice hard drive cooler, id end up tossing the stock hd cooler anyways. Plus they'd increase the cost to us if they put in a crappy hd cooler.

Dissolved

yea, and im thinking about speading a lil extra and water cooling mine seeing i got enough room in my 5.25" bays.. maybe even throwing a pelt on top with a crappy heatsink, and useing a hdd cooler to blow on the sink.... hmmmmm idea's idea's IDEA's!

Revx

lol, yeh next idea, freon cool it and freeze the platter lubricant, wouldn't that be something.

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
I don't know, maybe it just requires a little common sense. Would any of you go out and buy (4) 10,000 rpm Ultra SCSI 160 drives, bundle em together in a Micro ATX case without a case fan? No? Why not?

Anything that runs faster than it used to almost always generates more heat. NO longer are the days when a heatsink is good enough to cool a processor, no longer are the days when case fans are only sold to those running servers. No longer are the days we let our poor hard drives burn without cooling.

I don't think IBM is wrong at this, they are assuming a worst case scenario. They're assuming Joe Blow has a 2ghz Athlon with a $4.00 heatsink/fan combo, a CD-R, two hard drives, a 300w power supply (with a low-power fan), All inside a case he's ductaped shut "to keep dust out". Granted, an exagerated example, but maybe you see my point.

It's not worth getting upset over, it's just a new era. These thing run extremely fast. Take one apart and watch it run. (Make sure it's not one you want to keep). Take a look at the action and the speed.....I'm suprised they run as cool as they do!

IBM drives have always been outstanding, and I have no doubt they will continue to be.

The main function of the article was the usefullness in servers, and quite honestly, what percentage of servers are running IDE hard drives?

my 2 cents

Dissolved

nice .02cents :)
yea, well i dont think any hdd should run uncooled.. unless u dont care about having it over a year.. ill always cool my pc as good as possible even if i overkill... which i usualy always do.