• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IBM 120GXP Max 333hrs/month

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Too bad, I was looking forwarding to having a really fast RAID 0/1 array of the 80 GB models. Then the rated hours deal came up. ugh. Not that my disks are actually reading over 11 hours a day, but I do leave my comp on for extended periods a lot.

These are the detail we need to know: What exactly constitutes a 'power-on hour?' Is it the drive actually reading/writing? Does an hour with the disk in 'suspend' mode count or not? Or does simply having the computer running and power being supplied to the molex connector count? The devil is in the details...

The Maxtor d740x is a superior drive in fileserver applications anyway (1ms lower total access time than all competitors) but the GXP 120 would be the best all-around workstation disk under 100GB if there were no 'power-on' stipulations.

MadMan007 said:
Too bad, I was looking forwarding to having a really fast RAID 0/1 array of the 80 GB models. Then the rated hours deal came up. ugh. Not that my disks are actually reading over 11 hours a day, but I do leave my comp on for extended periods a lot.

These are the detail we need to know: What exactly constitutes a 'power-on hour?' Is it the drive actually reading/writing? Does an hour with the disk in 'suspend' mode count or not? Or does simply having the computer running and power being supplied to the molex connector count? The devil is in the details...

The Maxtor d740x is a superior drive in fileserver applications anyway (1ms lower total access time than all competitors) but the GXP 120 would be the best all-around workstation disk under 100GB if there were no 'power-on' stipulations.

I would guess they are referring to worst case scenarios. Not your mother playin solitaire.

well when your like me you want the best u can get and the 120gxp series is the best you can get right now (altho the WD SE drives are a tiny bit faster, but i question that company) and maxtor's have been proven alot slower then ibm/WD but ive owned a maxtor well 3, and they all worked nicely, but my 120gxp had a nice speed improvement

You guys should wait for evidence about 120GXP drives to appear before judging them, I at the moment have not seen even one complaint so at the moment i'll give IBM the benefit of the doubt.

Cooler666 said:
You guys should wait for evidence about 120GXP drives to appear before judging them, I at the moment have not seen even one complaint so at the moment i'll give IBM the benefit of the doubt.

Glad some agree's with me :)

Cooler666 said:

me too, after all, these have been out for a few(?) months and no reports of 'insta-death' within weeks of using them. The only issue I have with the power on hours is knowing the details. I like to leave my computer on 24/7, but of course when I am at work it is not doing anything that uses the disk. Even when I am doing something I doubt I have 11 hours/day of actual reading/writing. But, again, does read/write constitute a POH? Or does the PSU simply have to be supplying power to the Molex connector? Maybe I will email IBM to find out...

I think cooling is the key...just put them in front of a few case fans and you are good to go.

well i dont see what movie needs 160gb.. if your intent video editing then get a mac.

:eek: LOL, good one ;)

The reason IBM drives are so fast is they pack the data very densly on the platters. The reason they fail when they get hot is that the platters expand enough that it cant find the data because its not where it put it because the platter is a different size.:rolleyes:

WyrmMaster said:
The reason IBM drives are so fast is they pack the data very densly on the platters. The reason they fail when they get hot is that the platters expand enough that it cant find the data because its not where it put it because the platter is a different size.:rolleyes:

that sounds like it could be true.. but id always active cool any hdd..

WyrmMaster said:

Man, you just made that up, didn't you!

:p

The unstable IBM 60gxp and 75gxp series also had fantastic reviews .............. fast and quiet. That is until they all began to fail in significant numbers . I was hoping the heating problems would be fixed by now but their site's advice/disclaimer shows that all probably isn't well with the latest series either . Potential buyers beware .

Disclaimer may also be there to prevent agaist future class-action suits like the currently lodged one.

Nuff said by me ....... Also discussed here http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72116.

Cooler666 said:
oh well i'll just wait for it to fail then ;)
can't wait to get a 140 instead and see it fail too :D

Q: So have there been as many failures with the 120GXP as the 75GXP?
A: Not at all, In fact, I haven't heard of any 120GXP failures yet.

I'll give it 6 months

Where do I get a harddrive cooler for the 120gxp?

So, basically, what IBM was saying, is:

If you want our drives to last, don't turn them on! :eek:

Better yet, I think I'll leave 'em on the shelves! :mad:

*thinking*

I'm always after the best, so what I want to know is if I do buy an IBM will a HD cooler allow to run 24/7 for sure. I want to be sure before I spend my hard earned cash, otherwise can someone recommend an alternative 60 GB HD?

Re: *thinking*

ltww said:
I'm always after the best, so what I want to know is if I do buy an IBM will a HD cooler allow to run 24/7 for sure. I want to be sure before I spend my hard earned cash, otherwise can someone recommend an alternative 60 GB HD?

All I can tell you is that I actively cooled my 2 60 GXP's and they BOTH failed! My drives sit right behind 2 40 CFM Sunons that blow on them, they barely get warm! Even with this they still failed. I do not trust Ibm Drive any more, now with this time limit on how long to run them, uh-oh, my 8 hours is almost up better shut down the 'puter! Get yourself a D740X ATA 133 Maxtor. Get the FLUID BEARINGS! The fluids have an "L" in the model number, not a "J".

Back