• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ibm and gene folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arkan

some of the wiser memebers of the forum may already know of this but ibm is building a new type of supercomputer called blue gene. according to their specs it will be the first petaflop capable computer ever built and (to me at lkeast) it looks like the borg cube from star trek lol. they plan on using this to work on folding predictions on a scale that would be impossible only a couple years ago.
think ur cpu fan is loud? this beast is designed to be cooled by 1000 gallons of water a minute. i dont think you can pick that up at dangerden.

David

Forums Super Moderator
arkan said:
some of the wiser memebers of the forum may already know of this but ibm is building a new type of supercomputer called blue gene. according to their specs it will be the first petaflop capable computer ever built and (to me at lkeast) it looks like the borg cube from star trek lol. they plan on using this to work on folding predictions on a scale that would be impossible only a couple years ago.
think ur cpu fan is loud? this beast is designed to be cooled by 1000 gallons of water a minute. i dont think you can pick that up at dangerden.

:eek:

:eek:

Yikes. I need that watercooling setup :D

Is it one of these things that will be housed in an air conditioned/filtered room the size of Walmart?

Ploaf

Blue Gene is going to be one hot machine. I think they still have 2 years left till completion or something. Wasn't it supposed to be roughly 1000x's more powerful than ASCII White?

OP
A

arkan

ibm need to update their info the current specs call for a peta flop capable machine has since they gave an interveiw to wried magazine early last year

KFB

arkan, where did you find the info about the water-cooling and pics of Blue Gene? i went to the link that kendan gave, but i couldn't find any info on water-cooling. thanks.

OP
A

arkan

while i was working in a coffee shop during christmas my boss brought in some older issues of "wired" magazine

i think they were from spring of 2001 not sure. but they had diagrams and specs. they even showed how it is gonna be installed. the top of blue gene is going to be the floor of the building that houses it. this will enable them to have easier access to anything that needs repair bc they can pull it up out of the floor a section (or rack per say) at a time.

each processor is to have multiple cpu cores on its die and i think the final cpu count stands at over a million according to what the magazine said (cpu cores not individual dies) btw if u manage to look for the wired isssue im referring to i believe it has the title "wired" in pink that issue

KFB

cool. i have never been a wired reader, but it sounds like i need to be.

OP
A

arkan

KFB i know this isnt dealing with this thread but is getting a duron 700 to 1000 normal? i had to hit my 800 with 2.10 vcore to get it stable at that speed but then again i was using an msi mainboard..

KFB

it depends on the stepping, but a good stepping 700 can most likely do 1000 with 1.85V