• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IBM thinkpad overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cburton

I have to make this work and was told if it could be done, this is the place it will happen. I have an IBM ThinkPad T22 that has been said to "un-overclockable". Im not buying it. Has any one ever had any experience making this PIII 900mhz faster? Thanks in advance!

Mr. Chambers

well laptops in general are not very overclocking friendly, there are 2 main reasons for this:

-heat
-proprietary components, with no overclocking options

the only way i know of besides some massive soldering undertakings would be to use a software overclocking program to raise your FSB.. but like i said, laptops put out quite a bit of heat as it is, and you're likelyhood of shortening the systems life or ruining it all together are increased... those tiny fans in there arent meant to deal with the higher temps you'd associate from overclocking...

OP
C

cburton

You are right, this happens to be a challenge with a machine that is a test bed for all kinds of goodies and is expendable. So if it runs even for a little while-all is good! Thanks for the quick response-any suggestions on where to go for this software?

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
aoafiles.com has it.
im doubting itll have the correct pLL chip to overclcok it but worth a try.

progamer

I'm not sure if you should do it. The bottom of my thinkpad already gets very hot if I use it for an extended amount of time - hot enough to burn me. You could try and see what happens. But I wouldn't recommend it. Laptops aren't meant to be overclocked the way desktops are. With a desktop, you could always add an extra fan to improve the airflow. With a laptop, the airflow is already at maximum efficiency.

The Spyder

i would look into a aluminum cooling pad to place it on (it has fans) so that it dosent melt down like my poor pIII :(