• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7 and "B" or "C"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

likwidkool

Registered
Damn! I am going back and forth on this. I am thinking about seriously picking up a Canterwood board, and a pee4. I have my eye on the Abit IC7, but I am not sure if I should just go for a 2.4b SL6EF, or wait for the 2.4c's to come around. Problem is I got my tax return and need to pay bill's but my wife and I promised we would treat ourselves a little. Thing is the longer I wait the less money will be left. I know this will happen. So I am thinking an IC7 and 2.4b for now and maybe I can swing a 2.4c when they come out in full force. I am such the budget overclocker and while my wife is a stay at home Mom we need to make due on one income so money is an issue.

Either that or I could stick with my longtime friend AMD and pick up a 1700+XMPW 0310 and an Abit NF7-S rev2.0?

Opinions?

Thanks and Cheers!:beer:

(HR)Titan

hm money is allways problem , never to enough of it
take abit ic-7 and 800 mhz chip
cose u can take max from system
and u can overclock very high wth ic7
enjoy

micamica1217

most of the 2.4c chips I see are hitting 280-295fsb.
with that kind of OC you'll need the best DDR memory you can buy. yet still you'll end up using the 5/4 or 3/2 mem ratio.
the numbers are not much better then mine.
and I have the 2.4b...

with a 2.4b you'll still need great memory...the canterwoods seem to hurt your nice fast memory and make you run a little slower timeings.

you can get the 2.4c at googlegear.com or newegg.com....
that would be my choice right now as the sl6rz's are not getting any better.(infact, they seem to be getting worse)

I only wish I had xms3500 instead of xms3200.:(

mica

jdmcnudgent

micamica1217 said:
most of the 2.4c chips I see are hitting 280-295fsb.
with that kind of OC you'll need the best DDR memory you can buy. yet still you'll end up using the 5/4 or 3/2 mem ratio.
the numbers are not much better then mine.
and I have the 2.4b...

dude, peeps are scoring 5700++ in sandra with the chips at 280-290fsb.:eek:
goodies.jpg

micamica1217

dude, give me xms3500 or hyperx and see the scores run about the same.

I'm getting this in PCMARK2K2 at only 190fsb...

cas 2.5,3,3,7

at 194fsb

932----funny huh?
cas 2.5,4,4,8

now let me run at 2,2,2,6 and we'll talk.

mica

I have pics, need hosting.

batboy

Senior Moment
If you get the IC7, then get a 800 bus CPU too. It don't make any sense to buy a "B" CPU and then turn around and get a "C" CPU a month or two later. By this time next week, most vendors will have the "C" CPUs in stock. Googlegear had the 2.4C on Friday. Now if you already had a "B" CPU, then it might not be worth getting a new "C" CPU right away. If cash is really tight, why not just upgrade your AMD system. That would be lots cheaper.

OP
likwidkool

likwidkool

Registered
thanks for the reply's guy's. Just so you know cash is not "really" tight it's just that I want to make the wise choice now as I am not sure what I will be able to get down the road. I just know with AMD I have been able to get a new motherboard every 2-3 months and we all know how cheap the 1700+ have been too. With the p4 I am not sure if that will possible. I haven't run Intel since my p3 450 so this is all new. I am just trying to make sure I make the right choice and not let my "i need it now" flaw screw up my desicions!

batboy

Senior Moment
The IC7 will be the last Intel mobo you'll need for a year, if that helps. Get a 800 bus "C" CPU and that will carry you by until the Prescotts.

OP
likwidkool

likwidkool

Registered
so I did it. I found the 2.4c at googlegear. No one else had them that I could find. They also offered free 2nd day shipping on both the IC7 and 2.4c! I just hope I didn't jump on this too early. We all know the problems the first few revisions of NForce2 had. Then again this is Intel we are talking about. They don't usually go through a ton of pcb revisions right? Just mainly bios updates. Like I said I have been out of the Intel arena for a while. I almost feel like I am cheating on AMD!:D

So hopefully I did good by going Abit even though my gut partially says I should have waited for the EPoX. Then again knowing them, their board won't be to expensive and I can pick one up in another month. I like to try out new boards every 2-3 months anyway. I am still just a little concerned about this temp problem with the Abit. If it's just incorrectly reported that one thing but if it's truly unstable that is no good.
http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?threadid=10006

also thanks for the help guy's!