• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7 = dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nomjr

If your not pushing it, why are you here?
IC7 = dead...... again

Well went to turn it on and I noticed it didn't come on. Went to turn it on again and it did finally boot. Was typing here with the symptoms and it just shut off. Tried to boot again, and now it won't come back:( Tried all my components in my IS7 and no problem, so looks like the board is dead. RMA to newegg Monday. This thing lasted all of 24 hours :(

Last edited:

AZN

AznSniper
thats not a whole lot of info, are u certain its teh board? what have u tried to test it out to determine the board is dead?

OP
N

Nomjr

Well took out the vid card the cpu and mem, tried it in the IS7, booted fine. Took those same components and put them in a shuttle "test" board, booted fine. Took a p4 1.8, a pci vid card, a new power supply, and another stick of ddr and nothing still, so I would say it's the board. Yes two different power supplies. I literally have 1K of crap sitting here to test for bad components, so not hard to test for a problem. I've owned over 20 abit boards myself and this is the first on to go bad on me :( Oh well, I'll just rma it to newegg and try it again ;)

B-auto

24 hours? I wish my p4pe lasted that long..:(
All the bad post's I've read about this board in the last 2 day's makes me worried about buying an IC7-G..

Ec]-[oMaN

B-auto said:
24 hours? I wish my p4pe lasted that long..:(
All the bad post's I've read about this board in the last 2 day's makes me worried about buying an IC7-G..
yeah also it seems many people get stuck at 275fsb on the abit,hhmm the more i read the more i think i may as well wait till the tejas chips come out and pass this not so great canterwood chipset,dont get me wrong they are damn fast but when the cpus can go higher and the chipset is holding it back just sucks...

OP
N

Nomjr

Well got the rma back today. All is running ok so far, sitting at 250fsb and stressing the hell out of it. Still at default voltage on cpu. Going to see if 275fsb is really the limit as I've read that too :(

OP
N

Nomjr

Well here we go again. I put this board in on the 15th after receiving it from newegg for an rma of my last IC7 that lasted a whole 24 hours. This one lasted a whole ten days.

This time I had it at 295 running prime for the 18th hour and had to leave for a bit. Came home and it was off, so yeah the first thing I thought was check for water or something. Nope, no leaks anywhere.

Tried clearing the bios, pulled the battery, etc etc. Tried another psu, cpu, pci and agp vid card, another mem stick out of another machine, still no go. Took all the components and put them into my it7max v2, booted right up. I have an enermax 465 psu and ran the IT7 v2 for about 4 months on it and a bh7 for a month with no trouble. Any ideas what could be causing this?

So now this is the second board to die on me in 3 weeks. Guess I'm going to give up on abit atm. Can't believe I just said that but hey, burn me once, bah, burn me twice, well you know there will not be a third time. In closing, what bios version are you guys running on the asus p4c800 board as I'll order that one Tuesday morning from the egg....

ozziegn

oh man, sorry to hear about your bad luck.

I got my IC7 when they first came out and have yet to have one single issue with it.

*however*

your story worries me because I just recieved an IC7 from Newegg for a customer's machine that I'll be building this week and you have me worried that he's gonna have problems.

note the part where I said "he's gonna have problems" which in turn will be my problem cuz I'm the one who he's gonna be calling upon when his machine doesnt want to boot up.

good Lord......

*Ozzie starts biting his finger nails* :D

OP
N

Nomjr

I hear ya ozz. I'm kinda thinking it is something that could be killing the bios, kinda like the nforce2's have had happen in the past(had one board that it happend to). I looked over the board with a magnifying glass, not really sure what I'm looking for, but I didn't "see" anything that looked like something may have fried.

Just not sure why it seem to let go after cranking it up some more. And it wasn't like I was pushing it very hard as I was at 290fsb, 1.6v, 3:2 mem, etc etc. Oh well, time to get something else and try again...

stereo555

Overclocking is music to my soul
Yeah I hate to say my IC7 is going to get RMA'd also .

Too many random boots at all settings .
(my voltages are not consistant like they should be too)

Seems too be getting worse the last 2 weeks .

Also seems the later production models are alot more stable in all reguards .

My.02

stereo555

ozziegn

I'm almost tempted to just sell my customer my MB/CPU combo (2.4C @ 3.3) which runs flawlessy on stock voltage 24/7 and take his new 2.4C and order the Asus P4P800 and try my luck.

the only thing is that I'd be taking a gamble as to weither or not the new 2.4C/P4P800 would run as cherry as my current combo does.

after all, I truly believe O/Cing results have mainly to do with luck.

some get good, while other get bad results. just depends on weither the moon is full (or not) and what time of the day you were born on. :D

scanido

Sorry to hear about your luck!

I was running my board for a few days with a 2.4B at 161FSB and when i was settling the overclock with Prime95, after about 14 hours it just SHUT OFF. I thought that was odd, went to reboot and NOTHING!

I thought it was my Antec True480w that was dead but i tried it on my Gigabyte GA-8IHXP and it was fine. Tried putting my DDR in slots 2+4 and still no go. Cleared CMOS, removed battery NOTHING! I was beginning to think this board was flawless, I take it back.

I had this board for a bit over a week and i tried to get an exchange where i bought it from and they simply dusted me off and told me to RMA it to Abit. What the *uck, its only a week past the 7 day exchange?

Hopefully when i RMA it to Abit it'll recieve a newer revision or somthing more stable! IT'll post back and let you all know...

OP
N

Nomjr

stereo555- I know what you mean about the voltages not being stable on the board. I noticed that every time I took a screen shot I was like wtf on most as I saw the cpu volts jumping up and down. Mostly up too. It had run fine for 3 days at the settings that I had it at. Then just for the heck of it yesterday I ran prime and it blue screened and rebooted. huh? Guess it was a sign of it about to go bad and then it did:rolleyes:

ozziegn- I'm ordering both asus boards as we speak. I rma'd the IS7 as I got it when the egg wasn't suppose to release it and it wouldn't go over 230 stable. Maybe still buggy? I have to have two machines running so both asus boards should be here Wednesday and hopefully no trouble.

scanido- Wow, you too huh? I'm sure there going to get the IC7 right, it's Abit ya know;) Maybe later I'll just buy another when I see alot more happy oc'ers on all the boards:)

stereo555

Nomjr said:
stereo555- I know what you mean about the voltages not being stable on the board. I noticed that every time I took a screen shot I was like wtf on most as I saw the cpu volts jumping up and down. Mostly up too. It had run fine for 3 days at the settings that I had it at. Then just for the heck of it yesterday I ran prime and it blue screened and rebooted. huh? Guess it was a sign of it about to go bad and then it did:rolleyes:

OUCH ,

sounds like Iam on borrowed time :( with this board .

Ive had my IC7 for a month and just thought the power deal was a possible bios bug or sensor read error .
But after two new bios's used its just getting worse each day.
I have not had any BSOD just tooooo many completly random reboots for NO reason .
I thought to it maybe my cpu's , but Ive tried two:
one GREAT SL6RZ (costa Rica) and now my new 2.6C .
Things are acutually worse with the 2.6C .

Anyway , thanks for your input ;)

Hope I get a RMA with no problems , cause I just found out Iam 1 day over the 30days for RMA's at Googlegear , due to trying to sort this mess out . :rolleyes:

*EDIT*

Googlegear has OK'd my RMA :D

I'll report my finds on the replacement IC7

sterreo555

Last edited:
OP
N

Nomjr

Well I got bored(more like couldn't take it) and went to fry's looking to spend some money. I picked up the albatron 865pe pro for my spare machine. I have a sl6rz that does 200fsb so I'll try it on there as I read a few favorable reviews about it. I also picked up the asus p4c800 and the msi neo fisr2. Got to the counter and decided to put the asus back:eek:

I took the msi instead. After seeing what oppainter did with this board with the 1.32b bios that released, it looks like it might be something to try. The difference in price was only $10 between the asus and the msi. So if for some reason I don't like the msi, I can go get the asus instead.

Going to install the msi board now as this albatron board is up and running already;)

I'll start a new thread with the results from the msi board as soon as I get it up and running...

stereo555

twenty6 said:
Damn, you guys are making me worried. I'm getting my board in 2 days. I hope I wont be having any problems. I got the board from ebay really cheap but not sure their RMA policy. I'm crossing my fingers.

You should be fine .

Its more the VERY first production boards that seem to have differant "quirks" in them .
I purchased my IC7 the VERY FIRST DAY they were released .

Everyone else that has a later produced IC7 or a newly replaced(RMA'd) IC7 has been good to go (no problems) !!!

This type of stuff is to be expected in a brand new production line of any mobo .

*EDIT*
thanks mica ;)

stereo555

[M0F0]

Registered
i don't know too much about dead mobo's but i heard abit were using really crap capacitors

have you guys checked them??

is there no way in finding out from abit what the problem is?

hope i've been of some help