• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7-Max3 DRAM Ratio issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chop

I recently took ownership of the Abit IC7 Max3 and have been very pleased with the performance so far. I have a 2.4c running and 512 of CorsairDDR TwinX (500mhz).

Thanks to all the information you all have provided, I was able to start overclocking this chip on up to 265fsb. One interesting problem I am running into is when I attempt to change the DRAM Ration from 1:1 to 5:4, the machine will not boot past the standard CPU settings (12*200fsb)2400mhz. It seems like I am hitting a wall with the 1:1 settings and curious if you all have any advise. I upgraded to the most recent BIOS from the ABit site so I'm not sure if that is the issue.

My DRAM TIming settings have stayed at 4-7-3-3. I changed the GAT to Auto-Normal-Auto-Dis-Dis. DRAM voltage at 2.8

My cooling is the Corsair HydroCOOL 200 (love it). CPU temp never gets above 35c

Should I change the N/B Strap in the BIOS to PSB800?

I have the CPU:AGP:pCI ratio set to fixed and the AGP/PCI ration fixed at 66/33

What am I doing wrong here?

Nothig, we had discussion over discussion on the Abit Forum. if the corsair has CH5 then you have no chance on getting it working.

-Florian

PS: If your V abd VTT is fluctuating above 2.8 then you need an RMA.

tillyoubreakit said:
Nothig, we had discussion over discussion on the Abit Forum. if the corsair has CH5 then you have no chance on getting it working.

-Florian

PS: If your V abd VTT is fluctuating above 2.8 then you need an RMA.

tillyoubreakit,

Thanks for the quick response. So the Corsair DDR is the problem? Or the motherboard? Not sure I understand your response. Thanks for any clarification.

How would I know if the Corsair has CH5? It has the silver heat spreader.

Well thats the thing. Abit says that this is a bug which happens with the i875p chipset. On the other hand, people with the Asus P4C800 do not have this problem. I think that only the Abit has the problem with any modules running CH5 chips. You will have to remove the Heat Spreader on the memory and have a look for yourself. I was running Kingston Hyperx 3500 with CH5 chips. The highest stable FSB I could get was 223 MHz and that with a vapochill. Most Abit Max3 board dont run over 2.8V DDR either.

-Florian

PS: Most memory makers switched from BH5 to CH5 chips. People with BH5 dont have this problem.

i had a similar prob with my ic7. couldnt run 5/4 settings. I fixed the prob by changing the timing settings from auto to manual and nb strap to 800

Well I wanted to give a brief update on my recent IC7-MAX3 overclocking. I took back the 2.4C and replaced it with a 2.8C. I also took back the Corsair Platinum XMS 2 X 256 PC4000 and replaced it with GeIL Ultra Platinum PC4000 500MHz Dual Channel DDR Kit 2 X 512.

I've had the machine running all evening at 3.5 (250fsb * 14) with 2.5-3-3-7 timings. I'm very happy with this overclock and haven't run into any re boot or freezes. Played several games and stressed it out with other apps. I'll see how far this bad boy can go. This 2.8c rocks and so does the geil memory.

Back