• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ICS with fedora and win2k as gateway help :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigdogbmx

Ok, i need help making my fedora box connect to the net through my win2k box. Its a USB DSL modem on my windows box and a normal LAN connection through a hub to my mums win2k box and my fedora/win2k (dual boot) box. I can ping the one with the modem from fedora and when its in windows the ICS works fine.
Ive tried using the network config wizard in fedora to set gateway to 192.168.0.1 and subnet to 255.255.255.0 but that didnt work and neither did setting it to DHCP. Anyone know how to set this up? Bear in mind im new to linux so i dont know any commands or anything. Thanks, George.

Xenocide

gateway should be the ip address of your 2k box, it probabbly works, but remember you have to enter your dns servers. dhcp will only work, if the hub is uplinked to the 2k box via a crossover cable

OP
Bigdogbmx

Bigdogbmx

Yup i just had to set the DNS servers manually. Im now on linux so im happy as Linus ( you see how I changed larry for Linus there i thought that was pretty clever)