• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ide cable too short to reach from top of case to bottom.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

is there a connector, to reach top to bottom, or do i need to purchase a new cable?

OP
jstutman

jstutman

just went local computer store shopping.
i cant find a long enough ide cable no where. the case is the antec 1240. where online shall i look.
probably make myslef look retarded and find it right on newegg :)
guess id better go look.

Ridenow

Sneaky Moderator
No, you are not retarded, it is a good question. There is a limit to how long an IDE cable can be before it has signal problems. I should remember what the standard is, but, hey, I is still on vacation :p, you do the research. You can make one yourself, but it may or may not work depending on the length. To look and see what is available, go to http://www.pricewatch.com and search for IDE cable. I have bought cables and connectors and made my own SCSI cables. I buy them from http://www.jameco.com , but last I checked they did not have the 80 pin ATA100 stuff.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
18 inches is the offial max lenth to stay withen ATA spec...
you can get away with a longer cable....
but since when did running things in spec ever stop anyone here?

OP
jstutman

jstutman

i use a 24 on my hdd and it wont even reach. now what do i do.?
i dont want to put the drives closest to the bottom.

6 drives available

JaY_III

Senior of BX
6 drives???
are you even talking IDE?
Or are you talking SCSI?

And if you are talking IDE, you must have another controller card, no?

OP
jstutman

jstutman

i dont have 6 5.25 hooked up, i have 6 spots available. only use 2 dvd cd burner. look at sig. but the 24 wont reach. i know people have this case. why cant i find a ide cable to reach? the case is and antec 1240 or chieftec da-01w model. the cable makes it all the way down, until the medal bracket that devides the top bays from the motherboard.