• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE Raid Card vs. on-board raid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jarlax

Hey gang,

I have a P4P800 motherboard which does not have a raid controller. I have been playing with the idea of getting a second 80 gig drive to set up a raid 0 partition for my system. Is there a raid card that will give me good performance (better than a single drive)? Or should I look to replace the p4p800 with a p4p800-Deluxe to get the on-board raid controller?

Thanks for any help!

shadowdr

If you have available PCI slots go for it.I have two PATA raid cards in my system for dual raid0.This is a nice little card that has it's own processor so it doesn't eat any cpu cycles.With my two dx9's it averages 100 mbs read and write.There are many that are cheaper and more expensive to chose from.
You will notice a difference in performance.There are no drawbacks in having a pci raid card that I have noticed.Be aware that you will never be able to go back to a single disk system once you get one.