• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE & Sata?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

So, I was just looking fondly at my old SR-2, when I noticed it has an IDE port... a high end mobo from 2012... has an ide port...

It also has SATA ports.

I was wondering, could you use SATA and IDE at the same time? I seem to recall some BIOS settings where the only options were between ACHI or IDE or RAID.

Hf2W4l1.jpg

yes you can use both at the same time but i dont think anything on the IDE port would be able to run in AHCI mode. i think that you need to be in IDE mode since sata can also run drives in slower IDE mode. i could be wrong but i read the manual on that board plus i poked around but couldnt find anything that said IDE-based drives can run in AHCI mode.

I think you are correct that ide ports can't run in ahci mode, also some older operating systems (win xp for one) do not support ahci mode and therefor must be installed in ide mode even when using sata drives.

Back