• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

idea for keyboard modding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fiji

ok i was thinking, (yes that is a once in a lifetime event for me ehehe ) about keyboard modding, and how im such a cheapass all the keyboards i buy have those little annoying suction kups that fall out when you take off the top, so my solution

since the keyboards i have, have a clear plastic with the traces in it

cut small holes in the bottom, and some in the top key area, and that would work w/o losing all the suction cups

or you could just try to route the led's in the key area, but that would be somewhat cramped unless you drilled out some of the unused space

OP
fiji

fiji

ok let me explain more, ok so you have your standard keyboard with 3 sections the bottom plastic layer, the electrical layer with all the components, and the top plastic layer and keys

ok the electrical layer on all of my keyboards is a clear plastic, with traces (ex the little lines on your pcb that carry electrical signals)

so what im saying drill holes on the top plastic layer, and the bottom plastic layer and then when you put leds on the bottom it will shine up through the clear plastic layer, and out of the holes you drilled on the top plastic layer

i say to do it this way because
when you use EL wire, often times its too thick

Last edited:

Excelsior

KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!!
fiji said:
ok let me explain more, ok so you have your standard keyboard with 3 sections the bottom plastic layer, the electrical layer with all the components, and the top plastic layer and keys

ok the electrical layer on all of my keyboards is a clear plastic, with traces (ex the little lines on your pcb that carry electrical signals)

so what im saying drill holes on the top plastic layer, and the bottom plastic layer and then when you put leds on the bottom it will shine up through the clear plastic layer, and out of the holes you drilled on the top plastic layer

i say to do it this wire because
when you use EL wire, often times its too thick

All right sounds nice... My PCB for my keyboard layer has metal with it...