• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ideal block for Pelt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

Ive been doing a lot of reading and searching over in the extreme section of the cooling arena to learn about these things. My RBX-64 setup is doing quite well, running 41ºC full load at 2200 mhz which isnt too bad. keeps it below 50ºC no matter my oc which certainly makes me happy, but im thinking of taking the next step and actully putting my water system to work.
Of course, ill be revising my system to accomodate all this. Modding some 2x heatercores for single pass, getting stronger pumps and of course, picking out blocks that will work with pelts efficiantly.

At first i thought, why not look for pelts that fit my size restraints on the rbx, but it seems most are in the 40-50 mm range so i guess that leaves me looking at older amd styled blocks like the Spir@l and maze X.
I see a lot of people using swifttech blocks for the pelts, is there a particular design i should look for?

All the principles make sense to me, of course i would love to try to design a block for pelts that uses some impingement design, of course, maintaining pressure across a 50x50 mm square from a 1/2" inlet would be pretty hard to do. Perhaps a stacked rbx design? two inlets with impingment nozzles and fins for each?

Would LOVE to see what people have done with this. I probably will only pelt my cpu at first, but im getting rads that can handle the load of a pelted gpu as well.

the swiftech 6002 blocks look like they would be ideal for pelts because of their size and internal pin arrangement (pins and cooling edge to edge) look here. also, they're big enough to accomodate a 60x60mm (the blocks are 2.5 inches square). so it looks like they could be counted as perfect.

Maze4-1 or Swiftech MCW5002-T - both "designed-for-TEC" blocks in that they include coldplate and clamping mechanism.

Personally, clamping force makes all the diff so in my view a block with builtin clamping sys will always outperform any other block without a clamping system, which means go with a pre-fab'd block such as the two above.

[O-CuK]Marci said:
Maze4-1 or Swiftech MCW5002-T - both "designed-for-TEC" blocks in that they include coldplate and clamping mechanism.

Personally, clamping force makes all the diff so in my view a block with builtin clamping sys will always outperform any other block without a clamping system, which means go with a pre-fab'd block such as the two above.
Truer words were ne'er spoken :santa:

As long as the block you choose has a cold plate you should be good to go. I would stay away from curved edges like the Spiral because you are going to have to insulate it. Also, you're going to need a beefy power supply just to cool with one peltier, do you know what you're going to use?

Im thinking of swapping out my Powerstream for a modstream, jumpering it and using it to power a cooling tower that will contain 3x bonny cores with 6x delta 130 cfm fans*tamed of course*, 2x d5's or something similar *cost might become an issue in this, maybe just one d5 and my current csp750 and run two loops.
Two of those bonny cores cooling my pelt loop which should give me somewhere close to 600 watts of cooling power and the third for a standard water cooling loop for chipset/hard drives/gpu ect.

I highly doubt ill go the trouble of pelting a gpu for some time, certainly not untill i get a x800 or 850 series card. of course, im tempted by this new foxconn micro atx board based on nforce430. i know, it wont be the best overclocker out there, but it will be compatible with clockgen, and im sure there are some mods to give higher vcore. I REALLY want a micro atx machine, but that will have to wait.
My next build is going to be focusing on multi tasking so im going for a dual core *whatever* with 2 gigs of ram and 2 graphics processors. probably a single x800 series and x700 series in parallal running 4 monitors!

so basicly, the cooling system im planning now has to handle the load from all that, and still stay quieter than a high end air cooled system.
Seriosuly considering a weapon 4x core since it will fit very well with a external mounting system such as my second tower, bonny cores do however give the ability to mount internally, not in my super lanboy, but perhaps in my dbox.

Ill look into getting one of the aftermentioned blocks. I have bene looking at the maze 4 for a while since its dirt cheap and would work with any of my processors with the right top. question is, what about this clamping of the cold plate > pelt > block? would some screws through the three sandwiched together with some neoprene do the job or do i need to get more high tech?

You need to look at the blocks of which we speak. The two blocks we recommended have the clamping system / coldplate all included with the block. You just pop the TEC in between and tighten up the screws.

m41_thumb.jpg

I really want to get a swifttech 5000-64. the angled barbs would be great for my case, but it seems to be disscontinued =\

MCW5000-PTx350.jpg

Yeah I don't see any available on the web, FrozenCPU had a socket 468 version but froogle didn't return any AMD 64 versions. You might end up having to assemble your own after all :p

I think i could order myself a p4 version, and just fiddle with retention when i get it. hell, im thinking i could use the retention bracket from my xp90 on k8 and just use the springs for that on the swifty. could work.
Where does thickness of the coldplate come into the picture? is there a recommended thickness for it or could i use like, 1/8" copper plate.
Im cooling a winchester that has lost its top =)

As for the psu, would i just be able to attach the pelt to one of the 12 volt runs from my power stream? thing has 30 amps on the 12 volt line which should be enough. I could just sleeve up all my pelts all nice and neat and give them a molex connector heh.

Last edited:
Back