• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ideal setup???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liftedcj7on44s

ok guys i am looking to replace my hdd setup. i wanted to know what setup would yield the fastest? 1 74gb raptor to use for only windows a.d then 2 300gb sata2 drives run in raid 0+1. what would this setup yield me?

attack

well to run RAID 0+1 would require 4+ HDD's....RAID 0+1 takes a RAID 0 array which is 2 at a min then mirrors it onto 2 others.

I would run a single 74gb OS partitioned to say 20-25gb for the OS, then install games on the other partition. Then get a normal SATA drive...RAID it in RAID 1 if you want...I personaly just have a spare drive I update periodicaly with important data. For the normal drives put all media on these drives because it's not important for them to have fast access times.

using a raptor for only windows is pointless in my book because all it will do is make you boot up 5 seconds faster at best....which is pretty worthless for most people, unless your system crashes a lot :p

darksparkz

Raptors only benfits are loadtimes pretty much, a few seconds in Windows, a few seconds in gaming, and a few seconds in other things. Not a good HDD to get if your on a budget build, you rather spend money on other more important parts.

But then, if you do get a Raptor, I'd just say put your OS and gaming into the Raptor, buy some 250GB SATA w/16mb cache HDD and put music or whatnot in that. Don't run any RAID, unless you get two 250GB SATA or two Raptors.