• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ideas on how to keep my new laptop from running WAY too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monty2451

I just bought (within the last month) a new customized HP dv6t laptop, which I use it for school as well as gaming (right now I'm playing Dragon Age: Origins), and I'm afraid it's running WAY too hot. I use the SpeedFan application to monitor my core temps and max out my internal fan speeds, and it says my graphics card is running up to 150F+ when I game. I use a cooling pad, I was using a Belkin F5L001, and just replaced with a Thermaltake Massive23 I bought from Newegg. The Thermaltake is keeping the temp. down about 10F while I do average things (i.e. surf the web and watch videos), but it is still running up to about 150F when I game. I don't smoke or have any pets, and the laptop is in a well ventilated area. So, any ideas on how to bring the temp down so I don't fry my new PC? :confused:

Thanks!:D

Bobnova

Modern laptops are built to run at high temps, as the higher the temp is the less work it takes to transfer the heat to the outside air. 150*f(~65*c) isn't really that hot for a modern laptop cpu or gpu, 190ish(~88*c) is where you start thinking about cooling things down, and 200-212*f(95-100*c) is officially too hot.

OP
M

Monty2451

Thanks for the info. I've been told though that SpeedFan's readings aren't too accurate, could you suggest another program that might work better? Thanks.

Bobnova

HWmonitor should get the job done.
Failing that, coretemp for the cpu and GPUz for the GPU.

visbits

Is it under warranty? Don't worry about how hot its getting until the warranty expires.

Automiketic

yes but if you have luck like me all that overheating would wear it down and it would die right after the warranty expired. but as bobnova said your temps arent anything to be too worried about. us hwmonitor should give you all your temps. located at: www.cpuid.com

JamesMore

If you are very worried about the heat then check the the cpu settings and some times you can do a shut down if it gets too hot.

Last week had the laptop on the bed and the covers got too close to the fan with out me noticing lucky for me the laptop shut down before too much damage. I stuck it under a AC duct to cool it right down.