• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ie6.0 Does Not Connect When...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BiLLyXkiNG

DOWNLOADING A .EXE file. It just sits there and doesn't connect. Then after a while...I will get a pop-up and it will say...bum bada bum..."Cannot connect." It can d/l .zip files perfectly...so...anyway there is a story to all of this...

1) I haven't been able to d/l .exe files...ever since I got my DSL connection...yes...I called the service provider...and...they said to look in the registry.
2) I went on Microsoft.com newsgroups and they told me to venture into the registry and delete a .exe plugin in the Internet Settings folder, but it wasn't there to delete...I've stumped the experts.
3) I reinstalled my windows (ME) and still.
4) Sometimes I just sit looking at the screen thinking maybe something will pop up and tell me that I am a disciple and that everything will be perfect as long as I pray and worship to only one god and spread the word of my newly found god who saves all from stupid internet errors.

--------------Billy

JimmyG

Change to a real operating system like W2K from M$$$$ and ditch IE6. You'll be happy if you do.

SNIPER1M

Registered
It sounds like your IE content, privacy, and security settings. These settings are sticky, that is they remain after reinstalls. Go to your Internet Settings and play around awhile with various levels of sec/priv. I recommend FlashGet and you can set it scan all DLs with your AV scanner. Also check your ISP content and sec/priv settings. Can't DL, that would sniperdeath.

Gresyth

Computer Abuser
Is this happening with any .exe file r just a particular file frm ne site?

Could be that the file is missing on the server or not accessible or something of that sort.

OP
BiLLyXkiNG

BiLLyXkiNG

Well, it happens on all of my .exe downloads...but wait! I HAVE AN UPDATE! The stupid stupid stupid thing only downloads .zip and .ace (compressed files i think...any relation?). I have heard about virii and stuff coming from kazaa and morpheaus!! I HAVE MORPHEAUS!? Could that be a problem? And getright...the installion never works...it doesn't download the files needed to install?? Please, this is really really really really annoying! I NEED HELP AND FAST!

SNIPER1M

Registered
I guess I should ask where you are attempting to DL from Morpheus or does it do this from sites such as zdnet. Standard security settings in Morpheus Preview Edition block exe's. If this this is where you're DLing from go to tools or options and change the filter settings.

Cooler666

Disabled
get Opera
also Windows ME is the worst OS ever (its total crap), format the hard disk getting rid of possible viruses. I would use Windows98SE, or move up to 2000/XP.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
JimmyG said:
Change to a real operating system like W2K from M$$$$ and ditch IE6. You'll be happy if you do.
Originally posted by Cooler666
]get Opera
also Windows ME is the worst OS ever (its total crap), format the hard disk getting rid of possible viruses. I would use Windows98SE, or move up to 2000/XP.

That doesn't help him. Maybe purchasing a whole new OS is not really feasable for him right now.

SNIPER1M

Registered
What EXACTLY happens? Go to http://www.zdnet.com select downloads, chose any program, select download now. What happens? Nothing? If page comes up that says "if doesn't start immediately click here" click there. Does the web page snap to the bottom of the page? Let me know. Take my word for it, it's something simple. No need to use Opera or change OSes, that isn't where the problem lies.

OP
BiLLyXkiNG

BiLLyXkiNG

1) I go to a site like zdnet.com (just an example it happens everywhere) and search for a file.

2) I click on the download and the "save file" prompt comes up.

3) I save it to a folder.

4) The download prompt comes up, the Progress Bar never goes, nor does the kbps thing come up. If I wait long enough, the screen stays the same. AFter a while, I get an error message that says "Cannot connect."

Note*: I've tried downloading many file types from many many many different web sites. Compressed files always download. Any other files (not counting IE image files like .jpg, .bmp, .gif) never download. I've had Morpheas (i've heard of problems with that), I deleted it though. Also, I've had (and have deleted and reinstalled AOL but do not connect through it). I noticed this problem eversince I had gotten my DSL connection. When I had a 56k modem it would always download any file type. I have reinstalled ME. I have reinstall IE6.0, right now I am running IE5.5. I have tried installing NETSCAPE (my friend zipped the .exe setup file for me) and it doesn't download the "Navigator file" in the installion download thing.

What I have been through...

I have called my DSL provider (verizon formally Bell Atlantic) and they said that it was not their problem. They said that it was not linked to their DSL and I yelled at them and told them that it didn't happen until I got their service. I called them again and they gave me some stupid # for microsoft that was "toll free" but it would have costed 35 dollars to talk to a service manager (Microsoft gives crappy products and makes you pay to get them fixed). Before that I went on their quote self help website unquote. I went in newsgroups and was told to delete a plugin for QUICKTIME (a netscape plugin wouldn't work), but that wasn't there to delete so I was told to run REGMONITOR. I found nothing abnormal. Nothing. I've used it for hours and hours and hours upon hours. Nothing. I've practically been through every possible key in the registry...nothing abnormal.

OP
BiLLyXkiNG

BiLLyXkiNG

Element-Xero said:
lol, a kid i went to elementary school with way way back was named billy king, like his actual name was that. just curious if it was you.

You'd be surprised how much I get that...But my last name is close to king.

The name means... BiLLy (my name) X (a variable) kiNG (king)
so...I am Billy, the king of a variable (which could be anything)

just thought i'd clear that up.