• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If an LCD has multiple input types can you switch between them on the fly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I'm thinking of getting the ASUS MG279Q, even though I'm on team green now, the red team's DX12 performance might convince me to switch down the line.

In any case this monitor has mini-display port 1.2, display port and HDMI/MHLx 2 (whatever the hell that means) inputs. Is it possible I could hook up two computers to this monitor and somehow switch the inputs on the fly so I wouldn't have to buy an expensive KVM?

My display is actually a TV set. Since I have multiple HDMI inputs and other sources I can switch between them. But it's a TV, so obviously that's the case. I don't think computer monitors are different. I once owned a 24" HP monitor that had VGA, DVI and HDMI. I always switched between DVI and HDMI, it was a KVM-like solution. Results may vary, but I bet it works out the way you want it to most often.

BTW, I bet KVMs aren't that expensive. However I have never looked into one since the days of VGA being the norm have passed...

I guess the big question is, do you have a "source" button?

No, it is impossible to change inputs on a monitor designed with multiple input types.
/sarcasm

My display is actually a TV set. Since I have multiple HDMI inputs and other sources I can switch between them. But it's a TV, so obviously that's the case. I don't think computer monitors are different. I once owned a 24" HP monitor that had VGA, DVI and HDMI. I always switched between DVI and HDMI, it was a KVM-like solution. Results may vary, but I bet it works out the way you want it to most often.

BTW, I bet KVMs aren't that expensive. However I have never looked into one since the days of VGA being the norm have passed...

I guess the big question is, do you have a "source" button?

The KVM's I've seen for display port are right around $250, it seems like the higher the resolution supported the more expensive the KVM.

I was thinking of buying the ASUS monitor mentioned, so I'm not sure if it does have a "source" button.

I was thinking of buying the ASUS monitor mentioned, so I'm not sure if it does have a "source" button.

Do the pictures and manuals available from ASUS not sufficient to answer this question for you??

No, it is impossible to change inputs on a monitor designed with multiple input types.
/sarcasm

But is this guaranteed to be the case on all LCD monitors? I have an AOC 23" LCD that has VGA/DVI but I've never tried to switch inputs while using it. It seemed to me it auto-sensed what input was in use.

But is this guaranteed to be the case on all LCD monitors? I have an AOC 23" LCD that has VGA/DVI but I've never tried to switch inputs while using it. It seemed to me it auto-sensed what input was in use.

I've never seen a monitor you had to turn off to change inputs...

:rofl:

A little blunt, somewhat harsh. But I think ATMINSIDE is correct ;)

Only issue would be if they were considered the same source. For instance, perhaps if your monitor had DVI, VGA, HDMI, display port, and mini display port... perhaps the two "display port" interfaces would be the same source. I doubt this is your case. If your monitor only has 3 or 4 connections, I'd almost bet money on each having their own menu selectable source... But just try it! Easiest way to find out. Or look for that source button. Or read the manual...

Or read the manual...
Hear, hear!!! Or, you know take the 10s to try yourself and not have to create a thread. There is something to be said for doing things yourself...well, most people feel that way.

You are able to switch sources on the fly. If you have 2 of an input, it will be labeled 1 and 2 for that input.

Hear, hear!!! Or, you know take the 10s to try yourself and not have to create a thread. There is something to be said for doing things yourself...well, most people feel that way.

You are able to switch sources on the fly. If you have 2 of an input, it will be labeled 1 and 2 for that input.

Thanks for all the help.

I use a dell u2711 with two computers, one I use the hdmi and the other the displayport.
I use a cheap kvm with the keyboard and mouse so I only need one set.
I use the osd to change between sources and one button on the kvm and it works just fine..... except when I forget to change the kvm................

I use a dell u2711 with two computers, one I use the hdmi and the other the displayport.
I use a cheap kvm with the keyboard and mouse so I only need one set.
I use the osd to change between sources and one button on the kvm and it works just fine..... except when I forget to change the kvm................

This is all I wanted to know. The manual I have for my AOC 23" panel doesn't make this clear whether you can switch on the fly or not. I could test it, but I'm not going to drag my 45 lb. case all the way over to another room to hook it up and find out.

The HDMI cable I have is too short so I'd have to move the box either way.

What kind of space is your computer in that you can't sit the monitor beside it for five minutes with a short cable?????

Back