• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If Intel sold direct would you buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiTrO bOiE

If they had an on-line store where you could order chips directly from the factories would you buy? Of course the prices would be higher, but you would have the option of selecting a certain SSPEC code. I know I would, it would also give Intel a heads up on which chips to produce more.

Commander_Kang

Speedy Dragon
Why would the price be higher I would think that the prices would be lower since your getting them straight from intel.There would not be the over head they get from having to ship to a distributor(SP?) and then the distributor to say newegg and other online retailers.

I would definitely buy from Intel if it were cheaper.

Alphy

Registered
Its a plausible idea however choosing SSPEC codes is far-fetched and not reasonable for the average consumer. Then again, ordering a processor online to build your own system isnt mainstream :p

NookieN

I doubt Intel would want to go to the trouble. Selling chips in 1000+ unit quantities is hassle enough. Selling chips to individual end-users would be a serious pain in the ***. I don't envy Newegg the customer relations part of their business.

AZN

AznSniper
NookieN said:
I doubt Intel would want to go to the trouble. Selling chips in 1000+ unit quantities is hassle enough. Selling chips to individual end-users would be a serious pain in the ***. I don't envy Newegg the customer relations part of their business.
exactly. intel caters to people like Dell and sony not AZN and maxvla :(

markodude

Spot on, I never see this happening, Intel have deals with distributors and resellers and all chips must go through the channel. If Intel sell direct their distis and resellers make no money and buy AMD instead ;)