• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If this happens again I'll have a heart attack!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zeroKlvn

Registered
I just got a new Athlon XP 1700+ last week to replace my 3 t-birds I lost 5months ago. I was talking on AIM with one of my friends and suddenly I hear a "PA-TINK!" from my case and my comp. crashes out of windows. I dove for the surge protector and shut off the power. I look in the case, and to my horror I see that my heatsink has POPPED off! I was very scared (my past history with cpu's has been horrible, I lost 3cpus to a defective mobo and didnt get a cent back from warranty) I sniffed the cpu and I didnt smell anything burnt. Then I looked at the core and it looked fine. I put it back in and it started up fine. I think that if this happens again it will be very hazardous to my health. I hope I can get some extra money and put together a cheap water-cooling rig for about $120 in a few months :beer: Then I wont have to worry about heatsinks flying off, I'll have water leaks in the back of my mind. :eek:

I know this post was stupid, I'm just like that sometimes -zero

No post is stupid. These are good reminders to all of us to keep an eye on things, and to double and triple check our systems.

Other people's experiences may save us some grief down the road. Its always good to share them whether bad or good.

BTW what type of HS was it? Do you blame the hold down device or the installer LOL

nice cat like reactions. if you are really afraid of this happened again just lay the CPU on its side so the HSF doesn't have to
battle with gravity.

Re: wow

ac3wooddog said:

lots of 1 worders

just be careful not to spam bro, a friendly warning cuz these
forums have some good SPAM HUNTERS or known as moderators.

i don't think i've ever seen "good price" posted so many times
in my life :p

Re: Re: wow

Starfox said:

lots of 1 worders

Who spam?

I am using the stock AMD HS right now, cause I'm broke and havent got a new heatsink yet...The Dr. Thermal looks great, BTW. Does anyone know how they perform on a 1700+ or how they handle O/Cing? I'm getting restless running at stock speed!
:burn:

oh ya, my case is laying down right down and will be for an unknown period of time (or till i get dr thermal or h2o)

-zero:D

Last edited:
Perhaps a HSF that uses 4 bolts... Alpha or swiftech.

Maybe one that uses 3 socket lugs / side?

I've NEVER had a HSF fall off. This sounds very strange to me.

the idle temp I got is from XP1800 on shuttle AK31A board.
There are a number of review on this Dr Thermal out there on the web (not overclocker.com). It is cheap and performance is as high as an alpha HS. There are 2 version on newegg the quiet one and the noisy one. I prefer the quiet one since the temp difference at idle between them is only 2C.

How do I know? I have both versions.

Get a nice hsf that use the 4 holes, its better to spend $30 then $130 for a new cpu.:)

Thanx 4 the info! I saw the Dr. Thermal for $23 somewhere...lets go check my history list..:cool: I think I'll get it to tide me over till I have the money for watercool.

-zero

it sounds a lot like you mounted it wrong. perhaps it was a faulty heatsink but i doubt that. there are thousands of people out there with stock HSF's and none of them fall off. i dont think you should be scared to have your case upright. just take care mounting the HSF and if it does it again...PAPER WEIGHT. I can understand your concern though, $130 is NOT worth it, but if you mounted it incorrectly then you only have one person to blame. proper mounting goes with all heatsinks...its just easier and harder on other heatsinks. no matter what HSF you get...you have to ensure that its mounted correctly. sorry if i sound mean or something like that, but i just don't think you should be all that scared, unless you're totally positive that you've mounted the HSF correctly. after all, AMD would not sell hundreds of thousands of people faulty HSF's. my $.02

Yeah - less than a month after I bought my XP1800+ system I left my computer on all day (as normal) and wen tout etc... Came home and was near the computer and was thinking "Something's not right here"

It was quiet. Too quiet for a Thermoengine 6800rpm fan to be spinning. Then it hit me, it wasn't!! There was a white line on the screen and that was it.

I turned off the power and pulled of the case and was about to rip off the HS to find out what had happened but I burnt myself on the ******* it was that hot!!

I put a desk fan in front of it for about 5mins to cool it off, then removed the HS (still very hot). There was no damage and witha replacement HSF I was underway again. Apparently unscathed.

Couldn't believe it though - thought it was cactus for sure!

I lost 3cpus to a defective mobo

Could you explain in a little more detail what happened to those chips? Like how long it was before they died and stuff?? Cuz I just lost an XP 1800+ and now I’m wondering if it was the mobo. It only lasted about one second before it was gone. Thanks. :)

Re: Re: wow

Starfox said:

lots of 1 worders

Nice eye starfox. This "wow" post got me thinking about spam possibilities a bit too. I was rather surprised when I did the search.

Re: Re: Re: wow

Krusty said:

Nice eye starfox. This "wow" post got me thinking about spam possibilities a bit too. I was rather surprised when I did the search.

Yikes!! I think I counted 40 "good price" posts.:eek: SPAM!!

(edit)

hey guys, did you see the dates on those posts?? 61 out of the 65 were posted on the 17th!!!! :eek:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: wow

cyber mouse45 said:
hey guys, did you see the dates on those posts?? 61 out of the 65 were posted on the 17th!!!! :eek:

Yup, I noticed it. Already sent the guy a pm and notified silversinksam to keep an eye out.

Back