• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you could ask Bill Gates any question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
So I'm likely going to have the chance to throw a question at Bill Gates. Any ideas? Serious ones, I mean. I know there's gonna be several people telling me to ask, "Why does Windows crash so much?" or "Will you give me a million dollars?"

We are delighted to announce that Microsoft chairman Bill Gates will be here at UCSD next week for a Student Forum, and he is looking forward to meeting with students and other members of the campus community to discuss the future of computing technology. The event is free, and open to the public.

Date: Tuesday, May 27
Time: 12:45 p.m.

Gates, who is also the chief software architect of Microsoft, will make brief remarks about "The Magic of Software in the Digital Decade." He will then join UCSD Chancellor Robert C. Dynes and me for an informal conversation, and we will end with a question-and-answer session.

In his remarks, Gates will describe his view that, by the end of this
decade -- a time he calls the 'Digital Decade' -- computing technology
will become so inexpensive, powerful and ubiquitous that it will be
seamlessly woven into the fabric of our society. Gates will also give his
thoughts on the ongoing role of research as it drives innovation in
academia and industry.

ooo oooh! i know!:

Mr Gates, how did you get IBM to buy Basic from you when 1) it wasnt written by you, and 2) it was freeware?

Here's what I'd ask:

"A hundred years from now, which do you think will be seen as have a greater effect on mankind and the 21st century: The personal computer revolution that was led by Microsoft, or the public health work being financed in part through your foundation?"

BHD

Wait a minute, after researching it for the first time (that's what i get for assuming) im finding out that it was NOT freeware. Ask him how he got it in the first place and then ask him how he was able to sell it to IBM.

Actually, i have an unbelievable story that might have to do with Gates. A friend of mine recovered a message in a bottle in the REMOTE island of Pohnpei. I dont remember all the details surrounding it, but I think it was put to sea in the late 70's/early 80's from the baja(?) peninsula. It was sent out from a yaht (complete with the name). I cant remember the yaht's name. The message read something like:

...The wine is gone and all the women went into town...

What does this have to do with Gates you ask? The message was signed by several men --One of which is none other than Bill Gates!! Now it might not be THE Bill Gates, but you've gotta wonder!!

I tried to flag down 20/20 or 60 Minutes when Costner's 'Message in a Bottle' was in theaters but they didnt seem interested.. :( More than likey tho they arent able to sort thru all their story leads.

Edit: sorry got carried away... my point is you could ask him if he was the one that actually sent the message.

Last edited:
In his remarks, Gates will describe his view that, by the end of this
decade -- a time he calls the 'Digital Decade' -- computing technology
will become so inexpensive, powerful and ubiquitous that it will be
seamlessly woven into the fabric of our society. Gates will also give his
thoughts on the ongoing role of research as it drives innovation in
academia and industry.
Considering he feels computers will affect all aspects of life, how about asking him what he thinks of linux and other free 9as in free speech) operating systems and applications. Does he truly feel that we want a corporation to implement Orwell's Big Brother?

sappo said:
Wait a minute, after researching it for the first time (that's what i get for assuming) im finding out that it was NOT freeware. Ask him how he got it in the first place and then ask him how he was able to sell it to IBM.

Microsoft bought QDOS from Seattle Computer Products, reportedly for $50,000, in 1981.

The trick of it was, Microsoft had already made the deal with IBM when he bought DOS. Gates and Paul Allen came back to Seattle after inking the deal with IBM and tried to develop their own OS by expanding on what they had done earlier for the Altair. That didn't work. Allen knew about QDOS and Ballmer was sent to make a deal. Buying QDOS was a last-ditch effort to make the IBM deadline.

The story doesn't end there, however. The author of QDOS, Tim Patterson, went to work for Microsoft soon after the deal was signed. Seattle Computer filed a breach of contract suit against Patterson and Microsoft, and Microsoft settled for $1 million. Patterson went on to author Visual J++ while at Microsoft.

BHD

Last edited:
Whatever you ask, WHERE A SHIRT WITH A GIANT PENGUIN ON IT and act clueless as to what it means.

srimmer said:

Considering he feels computers will affect all aspects of life, how about asking him what he thinks of linux and other free 9as in free speech) operating systems and applications. Does he truly feel that we want a corporation to implement Orwell's Big Brother?

That's right along the line of what I was thinking of asking. I was thinking about his opinions on digital privacy and what his corporation will do in the future to ensure that my information remains my information.

1) Does he still believe that "640K ought to be enough for anybody" and if not why did he belive that this was true back then, did he lack vision to see which way computers were heading ?

2) In the book titled "OS/2 Programmer's Guide" there is a forward by Bill Gates in which he states "I believe OS/2 is destined to be the most important operating system, and possibly program, of all time. As the successor to DOS, which has over 10,000,000 systems in use, it creates incredible opportunities for everyone involved with PCs.".. I would ask where does he believe OS/2 went wrong and why it never was sucessfull.

3) Why was the EULA of the Microsoft Office Suite changed recently so that the latest versions have to be used on a Microsoft OS and does he 'personally' object to other people using legitimatly purchased Microsoft software on another OS

4) What is the specification of his 'personal' PC

5) What is his opinion on the DMCA and what does he believe it offers to business and the public

1) Who's the better bridge player, you or Warren Buffett?

2) Do you think Microsoft will expierence stronger growth by moving into international markets and establishing its presence there or will be it through new products such as the X-Box?

3) When do you see convergence taking place?

4) Do you see Microsoft's core business ever changing from Windows and Office?

5) Why was the decision made to release the Windows CE source code?

6) Microsoft recently decided to start paying a dividend as well as offer a DRIP plan for investors. How do you think this will change investors attitudes towards Microsoft, if at all?

7) Does Microsoft have any plans to launch any other combined services similar to the MSNBC joint venture with GE? Do you think MSNBC has been a successful venture? Would you work with GE again if given the chance?

Uh, Mr. Gates?...
Since I have to install all of my hardware and drivers anyway, will plug and play be leaving the world anytime soon?

please, please, please let it be gone.

When you are one of the largest employers in the US and must have thousands of programmers working on Windows alone, why is it that whenever a security bug is found by hackers it takes most of the time more than a year to fix the bug?

pepsi or coke?
ford or chevy?
do you fold?
if not why not?
who cuts your hair? - I wanna smack them.

and do you feel that games using directx technology are ''sucking'' kids in to play games all the time and getting fat thus leading to poor social skills and loss of selfrespect to where they resort to flame wars on H to compensate for a ''shortness'' in their quality of life?

UnseenMenace said:
1) Does he still believe that "640K ought to be enough for anybody" and if not why did he belive that this was true back then, did he lack vision to see which way computers were heading ?

He never really said that. It is an urban legend.

2) In the book titled "OS/2 Programmer's Guide" there is a forward by Bill Gates in which he states "I believe OS/2 is destined to be the most important operating system, and possibly program, of all time. As the successor to DOS, which has over 10,000,000 systems in use, it creates incredible opportunities for everyone involved with PCs.".. I would ask where does he believe OS/2 went wrong and why it never was sucessfull.

Bill really believed that Os/2 was the future. He feared IBM since they were ultimatley responsible for MS's health. Basically, MS through out Windows 3.0 for the hell of it and it started selling (a lot) so they decided to ditch OS/2. MS is much luckier than most people realize. They were lucky to get the original IBM deal and lucky to continue selling an OS after the OS/2 and Windows thing.

The other questions I have no answer for, but I'm not Bill Gates.

Back