• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you had $1000 USD to spend on a system....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gregshin

What would you get? Im building a system with a $1000 budget which also needs a MONITOR. This system will be used for gaming only. Any input would be great!

Shade00

Do you plan to do much overclocking?

I took a quick jaunt over to Newegg, and here's what I came up with. This is pretty much what I would buy with $1000.

Motherboard:
Asus K8V Deluxe - $137

CPU:
A64 3000+ - $240

RAM:
512mb Buffalo PC3200 - $76

Video card. You have a couple of choices here, and if you save some money on things like the monitor, then you can get a better video card:
Radeon 9800 Pro - $270
Radeon 9700 Pro - $219
Radeon 9500 Pro - $187

Hard drive:
WD 80gb - $65

CD Drive:
Samsung CDRW - $36

Floppy:
floppy - $10

Case:
Antec SLK3700AMB - $84

Monitor:
Samsung 753DF - $140

If you factor in the 9500 Pro as the video card, it comes out to just under $1000. I would recommend finding a monitor locally, though, as you can generally get a pretty good 17" for under $100. That would give you enough to upgrade the 9500 Pro to a 9700 Pro and still be within your budget. Even with the 9500 Pro, though, it'll still be a sweet system. The K8V Deluxe also has excellent onboard sound and Gigabit LAN onboard. I'm not up to speed on my cases, but I've owned the little brother of that Antec, and I loved it. That power supply should be the bare minimum you use for an A64 setup. Also, you could shave a few bucks by going with a cheapo case ($25-30) and a decent power supply ($35-40), but it's not enough to warrant cutting out the Antec. If the system is truly going to be used only for gaming, then you could also cut out the CDRW and just throw in a CD drive, which would shave off about $20. Did I forget anything? Let me know if I did.

Kenshiro

The A64 3000+ is really nice. But isn't it ture that AMD might obselete that model and just go with the 939 and 940 socket?

Tawcan

Registered
I wouldn't go with A64 right now. The technology isn't being utilized fully. You really need a 64 bit OS and softwares that support 64 bit. Using 32 bit OS and software just won't cut it. That's like buying a nice F1 race car and drive it in downtown New York. :D

If you're going to overclock I would look into Barton 2500+ (assuming you can get an unlocked one). Else look into Intel. The HT technology is pretty amazing. :)

Get LiteOn CDRW.

I have the same monitor as suggested. It's not a bad monitor but it's been around for several years now. I would look into something a bit newer.

Kenshiro

Actually, some people have been able to overclock their locked bartons pretty well. With good ram and mobo, just increase the FSB to 200 * 11.

You might want to consider the Intels 2.4C or the 2.6C as another option too.

attack

I would go for a XP1800 DLT3C...there cheaper and when OC'ed they perform the same as OC'ed bartons. Also with the saved cash purchase a better video card and then there will be no doubt in terms of which one will perform better.

For case you can find much better options than that antec. Antecs are nice but way over priced, look at chieftecs instead.

Kenshiro

ajrettke said:
I would go for a XP1800 DLT3C...there cheaper and when OC'ed they perform the same as OC'ed bartons. Also with the saved cash purchase a better video card and then there will be no doubt in terms of which one will perform better.

For case you can find much better options than that antec. Antecs are nice but way over priced, look at chieftecs instead.

That is true. I got my 1800 dlt3c jihub for $50. And I am also using chieftecs case. But I have to warn you about these kind of cases. They are very very heavy. If you do plan to move your computer around for network gaming, buy something lighter.

Ajrettke, what kind of heatsink are you using?

Last edited:

Shade00

Guys, do you not realize that S462 and Intel's S478 will be obsolete before socket 754? AMD still has plans for it. And you don't have to have 64-bit Windows to make use of the A64. The chip kicks butt even at low speeds.

Using a 32bit OS and software *will* cut it... why would AMD release 64-bit CPUs if current software couldn't take advantage of them? 64-bit support is just an added bonus.

That A64 setup will kick the crap out of an Athlon XP system.

I chose the Antec case because it comes with a 350w power supply. Antec makes good PSes, and steering him towards a case with a cheap power supply is steering him towards trouble. You get what you pay for.

Also, that monitor is a good monitor, but note that I said he should check locally because you can almost always find a better deal at Office Depot or Best Buy or something. :rolleyes:

Remember he said this was strictly for gaming - the A64 will be the best gaming rig you can get for that money.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
If you add it all up, a 3000+ based system costs about $70 more than a similar P4C system, which costs about $70 more than a T-Bred/Barton system. Shade, you could probably give some more insight into this, but I'd guess that each would feel just about the same in most cases, therefore for a hardcore gamer it would make more sense to downgrade the processor a notch or two to get a better video card. An A64 may kick the crap out of all else in benchmarks, but does it really in real-world performance? That's probably the only question to consider in picking a processor. I'd begin by going for the highest video card that's reasonable, and then working from there to configure the rest to fit into your budget.

madcow235

The A64 system has the most longevity even if the socket does become a budget socket any p4 will be obsoleted when Socket T comes out. There are 4 sockets now and all 4 of them will be gone for us in a year, 478=Dead Socket T will replace, 940=Replaced by 939, Socket A=Being Phased out, A64 socket=Becoming budget. Pick your poison i'd chose the a64 for the pure longevity, 64bit windows will make it faster NOT slower. So IMHO i'd get the A64 not the barton, which is on its last leg of life, or the p4, not as good in games and damn near the same price.

Tawcan

Registered
Shade00 said:
Guys, do you not realize that S462 and Intel's S478 will be obsolete before socket 754? AMD still has plans for it. And you don't have to have 64-bit Windows to make use of the A64. The chip kicks butt even at low speeds.

Using a 32bit OS and software *will* cut it... why would AMD release 64-bit CPUs if current software couldn't take advantage of them? 64-bit support is just an added bonus.

That A64 setup will kick the crap out of an Athlon XP system.

I chose the Antec case because it comes with a 350w power supply. Antec makes good PSes, and steering him towards a case with a cheap power supply is steering him towards trouble. You get what you pay for.

Also, that monitor is a good monitor, but note that I said he should check locally because you can almost always find a better deal at Office Depot or Best Buy or something. :rolleyes:

Remember he said this was strictly for gaming - the A64 will be the best gaming rig you can get for that money.

I just don't think I can justify myself spending that much money on a technology that isn't being fully utilized that's all. :)

The monitor is a good monitor, but like I said, it has been around for a while now. You can probably find a newer model that is around the same price range and have better specs.

Good point, it's a good idea to buy heavy components locally.

attack

shade, the trouble with going a64 in this case is his budget. You factored in for a 9500p. Well if you went my route and got the DLT3C, or even barton for that matter, you would be getting a 9800p or even XT (i wouldn't go for XT though...not worth the way increased premium). Now, a64 rocks, but coupled with a 9500p and put against a Tbred @ 2.2ghz and a 9800p, in games the a64 is gonna get rocked.

For cooling on my Tbred DLT3C i use watercooling so...but for heatsinks with the DLT3C I would use a SLK800 or 900

masitti

Tawcan said:

I just don't think I can justify myself spending that much money on a technology that isn't being fully utilized that's all. :)

The monitor is a good monitor, but like I said, it has been around for a while now. You can probably find a newer model that is around the same price range and have better specs.

Good point, it's a good idea to buy heavy components locally.

Well that's your fault for using Winb... Windows. :) Because I can compile my Linux distrobution from the source and all the software/programs will be 64-bit compatible. :cool: Why people stick with Windows is beyond me..

CalsonicGTR

Posted by madcow235:
The A64 system has the most longevity even if the socket does become a budget socket any p4 will be obsoleted when Socket T comes out. There are 4 sockets now and all 4 of them will be gone for us in a year, 478=Dead Socket T will replace, 940=Replaced by 939, Socket A=Being Phased out, A64 socket=Becoming budget. Pick your poison i'd chose the a64 for the pure longevity, 64bit windows will make it faster NOT slower. So IMHO i'd get the A64 not the barton, which is on its last leg of life, or the p4, not as good in games and damn near the same price

That isn't exactly true. Yes, 478 and 462 are both being phased out, but Socket 940 isnt going anywhere. 939 is going to allow the use of dual-channel, plus it wont require the use of registered RAM like the FX currently requires. There might be even more optimizations, but I dont know of them. 940 is going to continue to be used in the server markets with the various flavors of Opterons. The registered RAM required by 940 is essential for servers, especially high end ones. In my opinion, the A64 3000+ is a great upgrade at this point, just because of it'sure speed.

UPCguy21

Personally, I would not get the 64 bit stuff yet. As others have said, they are going to change sockets soon. Me personally......I'd say like an athlon xp 2800 or 3000. Then, with the extra $$ you save, go for a gigabyte of memory instead of 512. Video card, I don't really know about, b/c all I have now is a 128 mb 9000 pro, which I use because I already had it, so I'll upgrade it later on down the road. For a different option though, anyone think about the 9700 pro? I use the omega drivers for my 9000, but it said something about if you used those drivers on a 9700 pro, it would read it as the 9800, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. But this setup I got for Christmas, is basically what I like. I picked most of the stuff out in it. cheiftec case, with soyo kt 400 dragon, black edition. Silver case, has the window etc. Last I checked you can get that on special from tigerdirect.com for about 150. Athlon XP 2800+, 144 bucks from newegg.com(that's boxed with heatsink and 3 yr warranty). At least that's what it was a few weeks ago. 1024 mb of pc2700 memory(I wanted pc3200 in case I wanted to overclock later, but the person was told for some reason the 3200 could actually cause a bottleneck?). Either way, memory is say 200 for that much I'm guessing. So there's like 500 there.

I saw a special at bestbuy the other day, it was a 160 gb hard drive for about 90 bucks after mail in rebate(I have a 20 gb, then a 40 gb hooked as a slave drive). Monitor, you can get a decent 17 inch for 110 or so. So there is roughly 700. Figure say another 100 for a dvd burner. Video cards, I'm no expert, but I think I saw a 5600 fx(sorry, not too familiar w/nvidia) @ tigerdirect.com for like 160. Then that leaves 40 bucks for peripherals and things.

My system is not the greatest, but it does everything I want, and I'm able to overclock later on down the road. I think the thing a few people have picked up on, and some people missed, was that you are better off to have a cheaper, more balanced system, than to have say a fast chip and not enough ram, or whatever. Like me, I'd rather have say a 2800 and enough video card and ram, than to have say a P4 EE trying to run on 256 mb of ram. Balance is the key.

P.S. forgot to mention that the kt400 I have has onboard sound and all of that stuff, the sound card on it is actually pretty decent, at least in my opinion. If i'm not mistaken, it also does EAX.