• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you were sent the eVGA invite to buy a Kingpin would you do it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

Random nVidia 3000 series question for today. Assuming you were on the auto notify list for the Kingpin and knowing darn well none of us will use the card to it's full potential would you buy it?

Personally I would probably do it. I have no clue how I would mount it, really don't have room for the thing without a full rebuild, no clue what I would do with it and know I will absolutely not use it for what it is I would probably do it. I figure worst case I could play with it for a little while then sell it off. What say you?

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Nope. The price/performance of a 3090 is already below what I would buy over a 3080. Let alone the insane price increase for the KPE. Could do an entire build with a 3080 and top of the line components for the cost of that card. If I'm not doing sub-zero benching (which I haven't done for years... which I do miss) then not a chance.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
If I'm not doing sub-zero benching (which I haven't done for years... which I do miss) then not a chance.
Is there any other usage for a Kingpin? I get it has advantages, but would anyone really buy the Kingpin for gaming or production? Could get any top end 1080, 2080, 3090 and be close to the same performance. And if you had that kind of money wouldn't a Titan or its 3xxx variant be better for production?

Also was Kingpin a high ranking gamer or high ranking overclocker?

BUT, if I had a bank account with 6+ zeros then yeah I'd probably buy a bunch.

Mr.Scott

Beamed Me Up!
Nope. Kingpin has one use only, extreme benching. Not worth it.
Limited market for resale also. You won't make your money back.
Now don't call me a hypocrite for having a Kingpin 980ti. :chair:

OP
BugFreak

BugFreak

Also was Kingpin a high ranking gamer or high ranking overclocker?
I honestly couldn't answer that until I looked it up recently. I just figured it was the name they gave the model.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
Now don't call me a hypocrite for having a Kingpin 980ti. :chair:

BWAHAHAHA, awesome. No shame needed tho. There isn't anything wrong with a Kingpin. Just a lot of money for something that can be done for cheaper.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Haha, Vince aka Kingpin is considered one of the best overclockers in the world. They make Sub-Zero pots and such for benching as well.

Gamers Nexus has some videos with him and TiN (another world famous overclocker and electrical engineer I imagine).

Most super elite guys got sponsored by the major brands, Kingpin and TiN are with eVGA for example. Theres others with ASrock, asus, msi, etc.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
No, I would sooner get a Grapple for my Tractor and an RTX 3080. That is also one I never signed up for, so no notify...

Beginning to think they will never get to my turn (signed up on the 18th). I think the SKU 's will be discontinued...:rain:

Last edited: