• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If Your Geforce is Sucking the Big One, Look Here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JTC

Registered
If by chance you are not happy w/ your geforce AND you previously had a Voodoo card installed, check the post in this section called "3dfx Glide and Geforce" and read the 22nd reply made by me "JTC" This is a very common problem and easy to fix. It may seem kinda complicated at first, but really is not. It wii be Kinda fun, and you may learn something. Isn't that whats fun about computers anyway?

The only times I learn anything about my computer is when I screw it up and have to fix it. A stable system is one that has not had any changes made to it. At least, that's what I've found.

I haven't had a chance to run this fix yet, but when I do, I'll report on it, just so people know that it works.

[Oc]Wa11y (Jul 30, 2001 12:40 p.m.):
The only times I learn anything about my computer is when I screw it up and have to fix it. A stable system is one that has not had any changes made to it. At least, that's what I've found.

I haven't had a chance to run this fix yet, but when I do, I'll report on it, just so people know that it works.

For the most part this is true, but I currently have a stable system and tweak constantly... time, experience, and being sick and tired of having 'issues' has forced me to learn how to avoid many common (usually driver related) problems. I also need/use my PC for more than just tweaking, so being down for any extended amount of time can actually cost me money or opportunities.

I'm the same way. I only have one box, and so when it's down, I'm hosed. So I try to keep down time to a minimum. Once you learn which drivers work, and which don't, you're good to go.

YES! The registry cleanup does work! I had a very noticeable improvements in framerates. I lost them when I turned on anti-aliasing, but jaggies don't bug me none.

If you've upgraded from a 3DFX card, I STRONGLY recommend you run this cleanup. It REALLY helps!

arrrggg.....where was that suggestion before I reinstalled my OS!

I had the 5500 and upgraded, but it never ran that well. A new OS and it's doing very nice now.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Hehe whenever you change something like a graphics card or any kind of pci card you really should refomrat if you want peak performance anyways... Having a clean registry really does help. Whenever I install something new I reformat but I really dont have anything important that cant be backed up withen a few minuts over the lan...

But formatting sucks! Even if you only format your C:\, you still have to reinstall everything there, and you oftentimes have to reinstall everything else, since the registry was wiped out. I've heard of people just doing a deltree of the Windows directory, but again, there goes the registry. Granted the deltree of Windows would be easier to deal with. And no, just running a topload of Windows doesn't work.

Hey guyz there is another way to get 3dfx out of the registry, takes a little time but it works..most of the time anyway...My dads pc had a V3 2000 in it that I borrwed for awhile and I stuck a 4mb Trident 950 card in it. Now i went from PCI to AGP I think there would be no prob...*BuzzER* Wrong...The first time it booted into windows i was greeted with "Error loading 3dfxcmn.dll" So then an RegClean....no luck there...I was a bit to worried about using regedit...especaly on my dads pc..course i built i can fix it...So I thought fo awhile and then i let the pc reboot and guess what, it said my config.sys file was corrupted. I was like well crap...But I thought since windows is screwed why not just put windows over windows... so a borrowed a neighbors startup disk and i finnly got up in dos with the cdrom available...and just typed D:\setup And waloa Windows Installalion. So I basicly reinstalled windows and that fixed it first try...I otook a look at the registry and found no remians of 3dfx or glide or even directx for that matter ended up reinstalling it..but the pc came back up with most of the setting that it had had still intact. SO0o....This is probably what im gonna do when I get my Kyro 2..yea yea so they dont give 3dmark scores but they give FPS high as a GF2 ultra :-D.

BTW Anybody know where I can find the max payne demo?

not sure if you got lucky or not Angry, but generally an install of windows over windows does not install a brand new reg.

I've done the same thing on several occasions for a "quick fix" to be able to get a system up and running again w/o losing all of the data. Once it's finished, all installed programs still work as well as have reg entries.

Back