• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IGN Give HAZE 4.5/10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just no. I like the way that when this game was coming out on the PS3 and 360 no one cared, it was just another fps. Yet when it became a PS3 exclusive it suddenly became:

"ZOMG AWESOMEORZZ, BESTEST FPS EVAH! APART FROM TEH KILLZONE TOO"

Amazing to see the fanboy machine in full swing.

Just no. I like the way that when this game was coming out on the PS3 and 360 no one cared, it was just another fps. Yet when it became a PS3 exclusive it suddenly became:

Hey! Neural Net! Where have you been?!?! I haven't seen one of your posts in... FOREVER...

...oh wait... That's right... :)

Just no. It was supposed to be good, and perhaps would have been good, back in Holiday 07. Since then, it has been majorly delayed, and doesn't seem to have a lot to show for it. Not to mention other releases that it didn't stand up to since that date.

I don't know of anybody that quite did the whole "ZOMG AWESOMEORZZ, BESTEST FPS EVAH! APART FROM TEH KILLZONE TOO" thing, but it was looking to be a pretty decent shooter.

Just no. It was supposed to be good, and perhaps would have been good, back in Holiday 07. Since then, it has been majorly delayed, and doesn't seem to have a lot to show for it. Not to mention other releases that it didn't stand up to since that date.

I don't know of anybody that quite did the whole "ZOMG AWESOMEORZZ, BESTEST FPS EVAH! APART FROM TEH KILLZONE TOO" thing, but it was looking to be a pretty decent shooter.

Do you read anything outside of this forum? Go over to gametrailers.com for an example, tonnes of posts and comments about how the game transformed into the mother of all FPS' simply because it became a PS3 exclusive and 360 owners would have done the same if it became a 360 exclusive. It always looked like garbage and was considered to be mediocre before it became an exclusive, then the fanboy machine went into overdrive. It's just another FPS.

Do you read anything outside of this forum? Go over to gametrailers.com for an example, tonnes of posts and comments about how the game transformed into the mother of all FPS' simply because it became a PS3 exclusive and 360 owners would have done the same if it became a 360 exclusive. It always looked like garbage and was considered to be mediocre before it became an exclusive, then the fanboy machine went into overdrive. It's just another FPS.

Unhunh... And you somehow believe that Playstation fanboys are any crazier than Xbox fanboys? You can go on any video game forum on the Internet and come up with about 100 people that will tell you that all 360 games are great and all PS3 games suck. They'll tell you the only good game out on the PS3 is Resistance, which they haven't played or seen, but they heard the name somewhere a long time ago.

I just found some ridiculous site that was saying "The Biggest Mistake Sony ever made was not having a hardware scaler in the PS3 like the 360 does..." Only problem with that statement is, it isn't true at all. (And of course the author didn't cite his sources since he didn't have any.) The PS3 DOES have a hardware scaler. In a few firmware adjustments it'll be just as good as the 360 scaler (which wasn't all that great the first few firmwares they had either.)

There is no high horse as far as Internet fanaticism goes.

Unhunh... And you somehow believe that Playstation fanboys are any crazier than Xbox fanboys? You can go on any video game forum on the Internet and come up with about 100 people that will tell you that all 360 games are great and all PS3 games suck. They'll tell you the only good game out on the PS3 is Resistance, which they haven't played or seen, but they heard the name somewhere a long time ago.

I just found some ridiculous site that was saying "The Biggest Mistake Sony ever made was not having a hardware scaler in the PS3 like the 360 does..." Only problem with that statement is, it isn't true at all. (And of course the author didn't cite his sources since he didn't have any.) The PS3 DOES have a hardware scaler. In a few firmware adjustments it'll be just as good as the 360 scaler (which wasn't all that great the first few firmwares they had either.)

There is no high horse as far as Internet fanaticism goes.

Rainless... Please read my posts lol! :beer: This isn't about PS3 vs 360 fanboys, it's about fanboys in general.

To reiterate my point when I shouldn't have to:
Me said:
...simply because it became a PS3 exclusive and 360 owners would have done the same if it became a 360 exclusive.

Can you show us anything about them making a full blown hardware scaler available in the future? So far I haven't been able to find anything other than old-ish articles where they made partial (horizontal only) scaling technically available. (Which has generally provided a worse solution so far than pure software solution or using tricks to get the video chip to do it.)

Back to Haze... sounds like Haze is actually rendering at 576p. Which isn't as bad as it sounds since most FPS games on both systems are rendering at sub 720p, but 576p is the lowest I've heard of yet. Everything else has been 600p or higher.

Back to Haze... sounds like Haze is actually rendering at 576p. Which isn't as bad as it sounds since most FPS games on both systems are rendering at sub 720p, but 576p is the lowest I've heard of yet. Everything else has been 600p or higher.

Not "everything" I believe Turok was like 540p. Then there's all those other B-list shooters. I don't know how it ran on the PS3 but THe Darkness ran like DOG FOOD on the 360. Then there was that Blacksite Area 51 debacle. Haze had high aspirations in the beginning, but then it faltered like a LOT of games with similar aspirations did: Where's Splinter Cell: Conviction? What happened to Kane and Lynch? Look at the mighty Army of Two. Even Rainbow six Vegas 2 was bogged down by bugs and bone-headed patching.

It's been a half year of disproportionate failure so far. The only thing that was supposed to be any good that was, so far, has been GTAIV.

I swear the sheer WRECKAGE this year is unbelievable.

Not "everything" I believe Turok was like 540p. Then there's all those other B-list shooters. I don't know how it ran on the PS3 but THe Darkness ran like DOG FOOD on the 360. Then there was that Blacksite Area 51 debacle. Haze had high aspirations in the beginning, but then it faltered like a LOT of games with similar aspirations did: Where's Splinter Cell: Conviction? What happened to Kane and Lynch? Look at the mighty Army of Two. Even Rainbow six Vegas 2 was bogged down by bugs and bone-headed patching.

It's been a half year of disproportionate failure so far. The only thing that was supposed to be any good that was, so far, has been GTAIV.

I swear the sheer WRECKAGE this year is unbelievable.

I'll agree w/ that one 100%. It's been a terrible year for gaming so far. Disappointment after disappointment aside from GTA4. Though, where Haze is concerned, I'm not sure what it was... I always thought it looked like garbage (even before it became a PS3 exclusive)... so I wasn't terribly surprised when it didn't score very well in reviews.

I'll agree w/ that one 100%. It's been a terrible year for gaming so far. Disappointment after disappointment aside from GTA4. Though, where Haze is concerned, I'm not sure what it was... I always thought it looked like garbage (even before it became a PS3 exclusive)... so I wasn't terribly surprised when it didn't score very well in reviews.

Well Haze was supposed to be a more "yellow" Bioshock. (Contrary to all these "Halo" claims. It has almost nothing in common with Halo.) Just substitute this whole "Nectar" thing for "Atom" and you get what they were going for. I think the idea had potential... but there just wasn't enough content. I mean there's nothing in Haze like a Big Daddy. The dialog, from what I heard of it, was ridiculously bad.

You just can't have a badly written game in the 21st century. You can no longer throw "Hero win war." up there and think people are going to swallow it. And like I said earlier, once it's just regular people shooting at other people that puts it in direct competition with COD4... and nobody's going to win that fight this soon.

Splinter Cell Conviction is being completely redone and I'm really worried about every game we've seen very little of (*cough* Resident Evil 5 *cough* ). People are already playing Tekken 6 and Street Fighter IV in the arcades, so those should be okay. I just don't know who, on earth, is testing these games. Who tested Rainbow Six Vegas 2? Who tested Army of 2? And WHO THE HELL tested the PS3 version of GTA IV?

We aren't talking about one lone area of a map where nobody went to during the beta phase... like WHOLE SECTIONS of games and obvious in-your-face errors.

I played through the whole of Bioshock without a single patch and I bought it the day it came out. Ditto with COD4. How is it that, all of a sudden, this year every game is shipping with such serious flaws?

"GTAIV wrecked my PS3..." What the hell is that?!?! They've only got three configurations of the PS3 unlike the 20 different 360 versions out there. You've got a 60 an 80 and a 40 gig. That's it... That's all. You put the game in each system and see how it works. They couldn't have played the game for more than a couple of hours without running into some of the problems people have seen.

And all the bugs in Vegas 2? After all the time THAT was in development? Completely inexcusable. And the sales records speak for themselves. People aren't going to run out and buy games that have been reported all over the net as defective.

They've only got three configurations of the PS3 unlike the 20 different 360 versions out there. You've got a 60 an 80 and a 40 gig. That's it... That's all. You put the game in each system and see how it works. They couldn't have played the game for more than a couple of hours without running into some of the problems people have seen.

The PS3's hardware wasn't as static as the 360s. The 360 is the same all around, onyl difference is the hard drive on top, and maybe the colour and the size of the chipset. with the ps3, you had some that COULD play Ps2 stuff, some that wouldn't, some that kinda would, etc. as an example.

Well, I think the Halo comparisons came with the screenshots. You've got guys in orange suits and guys in yellow suits with reflective helmets... aesthetically similar to guys in red suits and guys in blue suits with reflective helmets. Not having played Haze or the demo, as I don't have a PS3, I'd imagine that's where most of the non-genre similarities end.

I definitely agree w/ the recent trend of releasing beta products as finished. I'd love to see that trend stop. It's ridiculous.

The PS3's hardware wasn't as static as the 360s. The 360 is the same all around, onyl difference is the hard drive on top, and maybe the colour and the size of the chipset. with the ps3, you had some that COULD play Ps2 stuff, some that wouldn't, some that kinda would, etc. as an example.

That's not actually true. The release 360s were NOTHING like the 360s that are out now. They've switched heatsinks at least three times, they've moved to 65nm. Different power ratings. They've gone through at least four DVD drives. A select few 360s that shipped at launch were scratching discs, so they nuked that design. Some of the older systems don't have HDMI, I've even seen some NEW systems that don't have the HDMI (or I did as of six months ago.)

They've got at least three times as many variations as the PS3.

The bluray drive in the PS3 has remained constant. The power ratings for the 80 and 60 gig systems, as well as the die size are the same. The 60 gig system features the PS2 display and audio chips built in. The 80 gig just has a partial version of the display chip and no audio chip. The 40 gig version has the 65nm die shrink, a smaller power footprint, and no PS2 hardware at all.

But we're still just talking about just three variations. (I.E. there isn't, as of yet, a 60 or 80 gig system that was running a 65nm cell processor.)

Well, I think the Halo comparisons came with the screenshots. You've got guys in orange suits and guys in yellow suits with reflective helmets... aesthetically similar to guys in red suits and guys in blue suits with reflective helmets. Not having played Haze or the demo, as I don't have a PS3, I'd imagine that's where most of the non-genre similarities end.

I definitely agree w/ the recent trend of releasing beta products as finished. I'd love to see that trend stop. It's ridiculous.

Yeah... Last year it REALLY wasn't like that. I don't know what's happened. I don't know if they're rushing out games that have been delayed a long time or WHAT. But the whole point in delaying these games was that they were supposed to FIX THE PROBLEMS.

As for your Haze comments, there's just ONE color suit. It's Yellow as shown in all the advertisements. There's no red and yellow. The yellow suit just TURNS red if you OD on nectar.

As far as multi you have the Militia soldiers (the yellow suit guys), and you have some rebels in traditional video game Rebel Clothes.

I DL the demo on my PS3 and it seemed ok in all respects, did I miss something ?

Yes and No. The graphics certainly aren't as bad as IGN pretended they were. At the same time, there are no destructable environments, no real interaction with the enemy, half the time the only time you SEE the enemy is when you're high on Nectar and they're glowing yellow, you're only fighting regular guys (and those fights aren't interesting, the aiming and shooting seem dead on... or at least better than it was in other failures such as Kane and Lynch and Dark Sector.

Other than that... you didn't miss much.

As soon as I played the Haze demo I said to myself "just another average console shooter".
Those who doubt Killzone 2, I have something which I really like the look of with this and it's the cover system. The RS: Vegas style cover BUT, always in first person making it more realistic, this is something I wanted to appear in Vegas 2. I played Vegas and thought this could be really good if on realistic difficulty you stayed locked in first person.

Now consoles have hard drives, expect more games requiring more patches, not less.

Lets face it, it was happening 15 years ago for PC's when if you were lucky you got a patch on the demo disc of your PC mag, downloading a 40meg patch on a dial up connection just didn't happen.

I'm still waiting for the three UFO:xxx games to be finished, and the AI in SupCom to stop organising a go slow after 20 minutes.

Its stupid, but as long as they get away with it they will.

Back