• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IHC-H71 mounting problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevmarks

I got one of these from newegg, but I just can't get the thing to mount. I have tried everythin outside of standing on it to get it nounted.

I ended up putting the stock hsf on. How much pressure can a P4 take before it squahes? I think I will have to mod this thing a little before it will mount :(

anybody have any sugestions? Is it safe to stand on this thing?

OP
kevmarks

kevmarks

Thanks deez. I took another look at it today. I used a little washing up liquid and water on the end of a que tip to lubricate the mechanism a little. After that it slid right on, very strange considering the force I was putting on it before looked like it was going to rip the motherbard retention clip out of the motherboard!

Currently at 2.89 (160 x 18) on my 2.4b. Default voltage and PC2100 memory and a BE7-RAID (845PE). Not 2 bad looking at the CPU database.

This heatsink bearly gets warm, and tempratures have not reached over 56c yet. But this sucker is loud, time to order a TMD fan me thinks :beer:

deez

the first time a built a P4 system I had trouble mounting the retention clip to the mobo and even tried using a hammer on it

glad to hear its working out. Looked at the specs and that thing has a 70mm fan. weird...

markodude

Lol, i had the same probs with this HSF and ended up bending the plastic clip, coolermaster have nicely sent me some metal ones which seem a lot better and more secure :D Ill get some pics soon if anyones interested...

laja

That's strange. I have the IHC-L71 (same but with a slower fan) and it doesn't sit too tight at all. In fact, it's almost too lax...

OP
kevmarks

kevmarks

Yeah, I think having the stock HSF on it for a while helped as well. Maybe it gently stretched it a little :)

I had to back it down to 155 fsb. For some reason counter strike would not run at 160, probobally a graphics thing.