• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm a noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Swimma

Registered
Hey. I'm new at OC and i was wondering if there was any thread or website i could go and learn some of the basics and if anyone has any tips of how to get started. I have a Nvidia Evga 8600 512 mb. My friend told me to download speedfan, rivatuners and gpu-z. Any tips or anything will be helpful thanks :D

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
Hey. I'm new at OC and i was wondering if there was any thread or website i could go and learn some of the basics and if anyone has any tips of how to get started. I have a Nvidia Evga 8600 512 mb. My friend told me to download speedfan, rivatuners and gpu-z. Any tips or anything will be helpful thanks :D

:welcome:to OCF, you have come to the right place, just to make sure, your vid card is a 8800 GT/GTS 512, correct, the 8600 does not come in a 512mb variant

*Edit, the 8600 does come in 512mb variants as indicated by poster below...it has been a long week ;)

Last edited:

reclaimer122

8600GT and GTS both come in 512MB versions.

To the OP, those programs are good to start with. I would also get ATItool to stress test and monitor temps instead of using Speedfan. Just do your clocking in RivaTuner though, not ATItool. My tip would be to take it slow. Don't start out assuming you can get a 50% OC and start at 40% :p Take it slow, usually I go for increments of 10mhz on everything unless I know for a fact that my card can go higher (like if I'm just setting my OC back to 24/7).

Diddyu

For an easy to use interface, that still has lots of power, I like to use ExperTool, although rivatuner is just as good.