• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm about to unlock... AA epoxy ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FunkDaMonkMan

I got my XP's to work as MP's... now they've gotta be unlocked so I can overclock.

Do you think it'd be ok to use Arctic Alumina Epoxy to fill the gaps.

I may have some other glue... but I don't have any Arctic Alumnia goop....

tbirdkiri

no! not a good idea at all.. from what i hear its borderline explosive, and semi-conductive

i would use a crayon.... simple effective and safe

Tipycol

tbirdkiri is right, I wouldn't use Arctic Alumina as a gap filler.
A crayon should be just fine.

OP
FunkDaMonkMan

FunkDaMonkMan

would ya believe it? .. i don't have a crayon.

anything else work as good?

we have candles :D .. does it matter if they are scented?

Tipycol

I don't think the processor would get as hot as a flame on a candle and melt the wax but still, I wouldn't put wax on it either, but that is just my opinion.

I'm not sure about using anything other than a crayon, super glue, or the gap filler at HighSpeedPC so I can't help you there.

Tipycol

If you don't have anything else, I suppose so. You just have to be very careful in applying it, and make sure the pins are protected very well, otherwise you'd end up covering them and make it impossible to unlock your processor correctly. If you don't want to take the risk of that happening, I guess you could just go to a convenience store nearby and get some crayons.

BTW, I've never converted the XP to MP, did you have to fill any gaps?

OP
FunkDaMonkMan

FunkDaMonkMan

herm... tacky glue should work i guess ... oh well.. its only $60 .. i'll just do one.. make sure it works.. then do the other....

tbirdkiri

i dont see why a candle wouldnt work, the chemical properties of perifen wax are very similar to a crayon...

The Coolest

You can try to use just a regular white thermal paste that comes with heatsinks, I heard it will do fine in preventing the conductive stuff from touching anything it doesn't need to touch :)